Tunnel Graphics Project [just started]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Tunnel Graphics Project [just started]

Post by lobster »

welcome, esteemed forum users. you might think i'm crazy, but i decided to start up this tunnel graphics project, just for the heck of it. you see, i like tunnels. i use them a lot. and i don't like the way they look. so, i want to create new tunnel graphics. i can't make it any easier.

but not only that, i'd like to inform the developers as well if it's possible to use multiple tunnel graphics at once (as in: a station-like selection window) and make certain tunnels year-bound (old tunnels, new tunnels... you know it).

this, and all this, comes down to the glorious Tunnel Graphics Project! glad you joined. you haven't? well, that's too bad. :wink:

as a starter, i made a little mock-up of this graphics i did. i'm working on a better version now, and ofcourse the various other views (which is pretty damn hard, haha).

later on, i'll probably add a poll, if you think a project like this is necessary, especially when the possibility to use more graphics at once is unable.

so, if you like to join the Tunnel Graphics Project Team, momentarily conisiting of (only) me, PM or leave a message after the beep.
Attachments
It's a mock-up, but this a an example of how this could work out.
It's a mock-up, but this a an example of how this could work out.
tunnel_edited_crop.png (2.84 KiB) Viewed 6358 times
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

If I like your tunnel entrances I would like to adapt them for (near) future releases of road sets, is that OK with you?
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

ofcourse. :wink:

edit: this could be the exit, but i don't like it too much. it's an idea though.
Attachments
The pillars a bit low.
The pillars a bit low.
tunnel_edited_crop_2.png (2.07 KiB) Viewed 6339 times
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I think this is an excellent idea. However, you will find it an immense challenge, because of the forced perspective of the tunnels. I mean, really there isn't enough room between two levels of TTD to fit a train; in order to make it look like it fits, the tunnel portals are drawn oddly. So you have to bear this in mind.

There has previously been talk of new tunnel portals, and actually of code to make the tunnel portals of two adjacent tunnels join into one structure, as they do IRL. No Patch code to do this has ever been written AFAIK. MB did some experiements with new tunnel portals also.

If you do up a bunch of good-looking portals, I expect sooner or later the Patchteam will extend the Patch so they can be used.

Good luck and best wishes!
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

thanks taylor.

i more or less discussed is with patchman, and even though he put it on the to-do list around entry nr. 1357 (just after learning chinese), i see a glorious future for this project. always be positive eh? :)

indeed the perspectives are a bit odd, and yes, it's probably better if there would be a code ready to test the graphics. but then again, a challenge is a challenge, and i'm taking it. if it doesn't work out in the end in either way, it's too bad, but maybe something will come from it.

thanks for the luck-wishing, and probably tomorrow more graphics, more mock-ups... just more! :P

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Patchman will never code this patch, BUT I wouldn't be at all surprised if some of the other coders would, possibly Csaboka.
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

WOW!

Post by wallyweb »

What an excellent idea!
My 2 cents worth:
1. Do the graphics now ... If they show merritt I'm sure someone will work up the patch essentials.
2. Do some for the roadsets as well ... this will double the demand for a patch addon.
3. Keep the TFLSet folks in the loop, afterall underground systems do have portals as well and I'm sure they could use some tunnels that exit into stations.

This is why I love TTDX and the Patch. It just keeps on growing and growing. It doesn't get any better. :D
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

If anything you could always test them by overriding TTD's sprites, an tunnel sprite picker wouldnt be necessary just for testing.

Nice work btw.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

wallyweb: good point, i actually hadn't thought about road sets (i use just trains eh :wink: ) but indeed, you've got a point. and yeah, the idea is to do some graphics first, and "ask questions later". :P

aegir: good idea. hadn't thought about that.

sobo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sobo »

If you make them year bound then maybe there dan be something like a speed limit like for bridges too ??
But I wouldnt be too disappointed if something like this isn not possibly ;)
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AvAtAr »

sobo wrote:If you make them year bound then maybe there dan be something like a speed limit like for bridges too ??
But I wouldnt be too disappointed if something like this isn not possibly ;)
speed limits for tunnels?;)
THERE IS NO COMPETITION BECAUSE WE ARE THE BEST
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Nice idea. I think speed limits for steamers in tunnels would make sense. In reality, train drivers used to let the steamers go "alone" in really long tunnels while protecting themselves from the smoke. So I guess it'd make sense to limit steam train accelerations when passing through a tunnel.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

if you have 'none streamlined trains' then the airbuffer at the front can cause problems. so speed limits sounds a good idea for some tunnels.
however, this 'airbuffer' wouldnt effect streamlined trains like for instence, a EuroStar (just an example)
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Huh. And we do have the really long tunnels in the Patch, so maybe it would make a difference. I think maybe that might be a little too realistic though.
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

speed limits eh? that would be an after-AFTER development. :wink:

sobo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sobo »

Geo.c Ghost wrote:if you have 'none streamlined trains' then the airbuffer at the front can cause problems. so speed limits sounds a good idea for some tunnels.
however, this 'airbuffer' wouldnt effect streamlined trains like for instence, a EuroStar (just an example)
thats already in the patch,, trains slow down in tunnels due to air friction..

I was thinking of the air pressure in a tunnel that might damage a weak tunnel (ive no imagination of how serious the air pressure in front of trains is..)
SuperTycoon
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SuperTycoon »

sobo wrote:
Geo.c Ghost wrote:if you have 'none streamlined trains' then the airbuffer at the front can cause problems. so speed limits sounds a good idea for some tunnels.
thats already in the patch,, trains slow down in tunnels due to air friction..

I was thinking of the air pressure in a tunnel that might damage a weak tunnel (ive no imagination of how serious the air pressure in front of trains is..)
are you sure? i'v never spotted that!
sobo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sobo »

yeah, use a train that cant reach its max speed (so their is no excess power left). let it accelerate long enough so it reaches its highest speed and let it go into a tunnel.
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

New tunnels - great idea, though not much to see except the portals. How about Avalanche Tunnels along mountain sides, ie roof and open on one side. Would look nice in the arctic climate.
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

OzTransLtd wrote:New tunnels - great idea, though not much to see except the portals. How about Avalanche Tunnels along mountain sides, ie roof and open on one side. Would look nice in the arctic climate.
would be a nice idea, although it probably requires a wee bit more coding. it probably would be a "station", i.e. in it's behaviour.

Return to “Graphics Development”