MyOTTD

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

SpComb
Tycoon
Tycoon

MyOTTD

Post by SpComb »

Update 2017/10/25: The myottd ~10 year anniversary Source code archive release

Update 2008/10/11: Maintenance and cleanup

Old information follows:

MyOTTD is a project that I started a couple weeks ago. It is currently still in alpha, and not really stable enough to be used, but its feature set is nearing the point where it's useful. The idea is to provide a web-based service to host OpenTTD servers. You can register as a user, add OpenTTD servers, configure them, and play on them just like on any other OpenTTD server. The current configuration is a single central server running everything (myottd.net), but it could also be used as an OpenTTD web-interface on your own host.

Your username is used as a subdomain of myottd.net, which means that it looks pretty (terom.myottd.net), and since the server list is sorted alphabetically, the servers will show up by username (server name contains an URL to the server info page).

So I'm not suggesting that everyone starts using it for their servers right now (I restart the server fairly often, whenever I change it), but feel free to try it out, and I'm interested in feedback/comments, as I've never run an OpenTTD server myself. A short list of already planned features:
  • Uploading/downloading savegames
  • Comments/names for savegames, not just the date
  • NewGRF support
  • Minimap/screenshots
  • Kick/Ban players
  • Chat history
  • More customization/info on the server page, like rules, description, url, comments, etc. Exact details unknown
MyOTTD is written in Python (using Twisted and Pylons) and licensed under the GPL. If you're interested in contributing, I would welcome the help, and there's plenty to do. Source code is available at svn://svn.marttila.de/myottd/trunk, and trac at http://myottd.marttila.de/ .
Last edited by SpComb on 25 Oct 2017 10:09, edited 2 times in total.
PouncingAnt
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: MyOTTD

Post by PouncingAnt »

This sounds very interesting! I certainly like the idea of viewing a minimap before joining..
NB: the below challenges are still open for submission, so feel free to perform necromancy on them!
Try the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge
Or even better, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 2
Or better still, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 3
Or, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 4

Or try my scenario instead!

-(A lazy) OpenTTD Japanese Translator-
-(A lazy) PNGcodec user-
"You get what you pay for, so pay attention!"

Patches:
Company Station Stats
pecet
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pecet »

Wow, very nice I must admit :lol: but are nightlies supported?

edit: Ok, so... are you considering support for nigthlies?
edit2: Also some of your subdomains doesn't work for me... like http://progman.myottd.net/ but for example http://truebrain.myottd.net/ is working fine... ;)
SpComb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SpComb »

PouncingAnt wrote:This sounds very interesting! I certainly like the idea of viewing a minimap before joining..
There isn't really any straightforward way to get a minimap out of OpenTTD that I know of, and showing a minimap before joining would really be something that belongs in OpenTTD itself, not MyOTTD, but if there's some sane way of doing it...
pecet wrote:Wow, very nice I must admit :lol: but are nightlies supported?

edit: Ok, so... are you considering support for nigthlies?
Yes, I plan on adding nightlies, which would mean some kind of automatic system to build the nightlies every day. The OpenTTD version stuff is fully automated, so as long as the devs don't make drastic changes to the structure of OpenTTD that breaks my code (I parse the OpenTTD source code to get the structure of openttd.cfg), it should work.
pecet wrote:edit2: Also some of your subdomains doesn't work for me... like http://progman.myottd.net/ but for example http://truebrain.myottd.net/ is working fine... ;)
Oops. My DNS was indeed broken, but it should work correctly now, at least once your local caches have expired (should happen within an hour from now).
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

SpComb - I thank you for your project - it is simply marvelous.

I have a server running (well - I actually started 3 of them with different names - sorry about that :-) ).
It's ABCoTTD - a nice old-school 256x512 map with hard-ish settings for some classic o/TTD fun.
SpComb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SpComb »

SirkoZ wrote:SpComb - I thank you for your project - it is simply marvelous.
Thanks. Unfortunately, I've been unable to do very much work on it lately, as I just started university last month, the first half-semester exams have started already :(

As for what's happened since the first post:
  • Now possible to upload savegames
  • Possible to upload newgrfs, or use some of the common ones provided
  • Prettier server info page layout
  • Possible to change server name/password without restarting
  • Other minor tweaks/bugfixes
bob27
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by bob27 »

It looks very promising. Please keep up the good work! :lol: I might use it someday.
EDIT: So far I have set up a server called bob27main and it seems to be working perfectly!
Sorry about this. EDIT 2: For some reason some servers don't seem to advertise to the main ottd list while others do. Guess its just a small bug.
rabbit67890
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rabbit67890 »

my server is broken and my server is in the list my myottd account isnt working ill pm the info
SpComb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SpComb »

It's great to see that people really are using the service! Unfortunately, as I said earlier, I had my exam period and was unable to work on it for a while. However, that's over now, so I should be able to get back on track with MyOTTD soonish (I've already started coding again, but worked on refactoring and another project at first). But do not fear, MyOTTD is *not* dead, or anywhere near finished!

I apologize for not noticing your PM for a couple days, I only looked at this topic today. I've quickfixed the bug and your server page should work again, but I'm not so sure what you mean with "my myottd account isnt working" - if you get an AssertionError when logging in, just ignore it and go back to the main page, it should log you in anyways.

The best way to contact me about MyOTTD is via IRC, but I'll try and look at this topic/my PM inbox fairly often.
SpComb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SpComb »

I thought I'd give a status update on MyOTTD:

The software running on the main myottd.net domain has not been updated for a while. Meanwhile, I have started working on what will become the future mode of operation for the MyOTTD code - modifying OpenTTD's code to interact with MyOTTD.

As a prototype/demo of this, I've created this - a google-maps style scrollable, zoomable, updating view into a running OpenTTD server. It's somewhat cool :)
ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman

Post by ostlandr »

Not working for me at the moment, but I assume it's Vista/IE 7 having "issues" and not your code.

BTW, myOTTD sounds really cool- I plan on registering soon- that is if there's anybody else that plays OTTD as a virtual model railroad and not as a "game" for high rating and company value. . . :|
Who is John Galt?
bob27
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by bob27 »

It's not allowing me to make any severs right now with an XP computer and Firefox, so it's not to do with you, ostlandr.
SpComb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SpComb »

ostlandr wrote:Not working for me at the moment, but I assume it's Vista/IE 7 having "issues" and not your code.
If myottd.net is giving you 500 Internal Server Errors, then the problem is fully on my side.

SpComb wrote:The software running on the main myottd.net domain has not been updated for a while. Meanwhile, I have started working on what will become the future mode of operation for the MyOTTD code - modifying OpenTTD's code to interact with MyOTTD.
What I mean here is that I've run into some issues with framework choices and how I interact with OpenTTD that aren't gradual fixes, but full-scale code redesign. This means that the software currently running on myottd.net is pre-release alpha 1st-generation code, has not been updated for a while, and will not be updated with new features.

I have started work on the new code design, but it's not of relevance to the myottd.net domain yet. Maybe the link to the prototype/demo in the last post wasn't blatant enough (green on grey with the winter theme), since I would have thought that it'd result in some kind of comments: Fancy interactive OpenTTD map.

ostlandr wrote:BTW, myOTTD sounds really cool- I plan on registering soon- that is if there's anybody else that plays OTTD as a virtual model railroad and not as a "game" for high rating and company value. . . :|
One day MyOTTD will acheive a stable production version, until then, you're welcome to use what myottd.net offers, but keep in mind that e.g. I can't log in because of that header value bug that I don't know how to fix.

P.S: The old code will still get some bugfixes - you should be able to start servers again now, I fixed one bug that was the probable cause.
beeb375
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by beeb375 »

I must admit first of all that I don't run a server, and that I haven't had time to play OTTD lately (exams, like you!), but I still thought I'd just say how good it all looks, that map is amazing!

Good job!
“Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The ‘x’ makes it sound cool.”
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

I would like to say the maps thing looks realy cool. I still can not login because of the assertian error.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
bob27
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by bob27 »

Wait! You are thinking about getting rid of MyOttd? That's ridiculous! It really helps a lot of use who wish they could run a server but don't have the resources for it. Plus, you have put a lot of time into it, and I would think it would be a shame if you just got rid of it.
Connum
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Connum »

Yeah, that service was a great idea! It's a pity that you stopped it...
English is not my native language, so please excuse me if I sometimes might appear a bit harsh or if I make a spelling or grammar mistake!
SpComb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SpComb »

Getting rid of it is the wrong term, I haven't killed the project off, and it's not dead. The project is just currently stalled, waiting for me/someone else to continue working on it.

Running the MyOTTD service takes up a lot of resources (tens of OpenTTD processes), and I was under the impression that nobody was really using it (probably due to the bugs and lack of active development, and no support for recent versions of OpenTTD).

I could start the daemon up again and run it as-is, but I'm unsure when I'm going to dust off my svn working copy and continue development on it.
bob27
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by bob27 »

Even with the bugs though, it is better then not having anything! I understand how it is when you want to move onto something else, but I think MyOttd can really become something big if a bit of development happened here and there!
Oh and people do use it ,including me, (with the bugs and everything) because it is extremely useful.
SpComb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SpComb »

bob27 wrote:[...]but I think MyOttd can really become something big if a bit of development happened here and there!
Indeed, I believe the same thing, but there's a fair amount of inertia to overcome to continue working on it.
bob27 wrote:Oh and people do use it ,including me, (with the bugs and everything) because it is extremely useful.
Fair enough. I've put it back online, but I'll probably have to add in something that stops servers if they're idle for a long enough period of time (on the order of days, though).

edit: I hacked in support for the 0.6.0 betas and nightlies (should update every day at 20:30 CET). Let me know how broken they are.

edit2: I tend to miss PMs sent to me on the forums (NoScript enabled -> no popups), but if you want to discuss MyOTTD, I'm always reachable via IRC.

Return to “General OpenTTD”