How many tiles make up a Mile or a Kilometer in OpenTTD

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

dunbrine47
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

How many tiles make up a Mile or a Kilometer in OpenTTD

Post by dunbrine47 »

Anybody want to answer that :?:
Open Tower LTD - The sky is the limit. Our home page: http://opentower.sourceforge.net/
Medowlands Xanadu

Winner of the 2008 fourm Awards for:
Least helpful member

Most annoying member
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: How many tiles make up a Mile or a Kilometer in OpenTTD

Post by richk67 »

Its a game not a simulation. There is an approximate scale people have calculated based on size of buses/trains etc. But trying to relate a scale to TTD is plain daft, IMO.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
Youri219
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Youri219 »

I think based on speed it was calculated to be 429 km/tile.
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

or to put it another way...one tile had to be approx. 12.5 metres (AFAIK), which makes 2048 tiles to be 25600m or 25.6 km. And 1 km is 80 tiles...Could've get this straight from 1000 / 12.5 = 80 too though...And when converted to miles....1mile=49.709695378986716 tiles....Now..The tiles, that a 100km/h train goes through one day -> x
We get..
something that doesn't match at all and are above my mathematical skills :D

Lord
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
sforget
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sforget »

Youri219 wrote:I think based on speed it was calculated to be 429 km/tile.

which would make each of the default train vehicles aver 200km long.
TT Player since 1994.
-| Home Page |- -| Save Server Passwords Patch |-
Image - Live ScreenShots
littlemikey
Engineer
Engineer

Post by littlemikey »

sforget wrote:

Well, seeing as we can have stations as big as the towns they are servicing, i'm going to pretend that this game is not really "to scale"
ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman

Post by ostlandr »

Still better than steel mills larger than Mount Everest *coughLocomotioncough*

Crazy, but it really works well. For example, HO model railroad scale is 1/87 scale, or about 6 feet/185 meters to the scale mile. Obviously you can't build a full scale model of even the smallest railroad (with the possible exception of the Marion River Carry RR, which was the shortest railroad in the US, moving passengers between steamship lines on two Adirondack lakes). So you have to compress the scale. OTTD does this incredibly well- so well I never even think about the scale issue.
littlemikey wrote:
sforget wrote:

Well, seeing as we can have stations as big as the towns they are servicing, i'm going to pretend that this game is not really "to scale"
Who is John Galt?
littlemikey
Engineer
Engineer

Post by littlemikey »

ostlandr wrote:Still better than steel mills larger than Mount Everest *coughLocomotioncough*

Crazy, but it really works well. For example, HO model railroad scale is 1/87 scale, or about 6 feet/185 meters to the scale mile. Obviously you can't build a full scale model of even the smallest railroad (with the possible exception of the Marion River Carry RR, which was the shortest railroad in the US, moving passengers between steamship lines on two Adirondack lakes). So you have to compress the scale. OTTD does this incredibly well- so well I never even think about the scale issue.
Go look at Sid Meier's Railroads, the scale in that is really messed up >_<
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

rofl @ Sid Meier's Railroads :D Now I know what to answer if someone says anything about OTTD scales...
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

In TTDP I calculated 512 km/tile according to the bus speed and distance (tested at 11km/h at a distance of 250 tiles).
14.5m for graphics of LV4 in diagonal view.
Image Image Image Image
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

I think its a distortion to try to work out scale by speed. I thought the whole point of TTD was that the frequency of service during a year is an abstraction of a generic service, not a specific train moving specific cargo at a specific speed. The fact that that the payment rates for passengers is calculated as days-in-transit would give a slight clue that time is not in any sort of proportion. Hence, distances calculated by speed & time are nonsense.

However, scale as worked out via relative sizes of graphic objects does make (more) sense. Just ignore airports. ;)
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Firework Photography
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Ok guys..It's a transportation game not simulation..
metalangel
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by metalangel »

I remember a similar question being asked about Locomotion (with its tiny maps and giant trains) and the conclusion reached was that it was something like 12 miles across in those maps, or roughly the size of the Coryton Line in Cardiff. Which, if you were to recreate it, would have meant the entire map would have had one railway line (mostly single track) served by a lone two carriage DMU, in a sea of almost entirely residential neighbourhoods.

Which is nuts, of course. If you want to run and build stuff to scale and have it run to 'real' time, you can go and play Trainz with the interactive industries turned on. Bear in mind, though, that you'll be playing it for the rest of your life, as it's realtime. :mrgreen:
"(Locomotion is) one of the best-playing games of its type." -Chris Sawyer

Northeast Corridor - South Wales & the Southwest
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

you guys are trying to make a simulation out of something that's not a simulation. Try to use different vehicles moving at the same speed (in km/h or mph). You will notice that ships and road vehicles move at the same speed while trains moves at half speed. Planes moves way slower than trains. Planes taxi at more than 100 km/h. Clearly speed isn't a simulation. You should have noticed by now.

You are making it very clear. You all suffer from LOPT (Lack of OpenTTD Play Time)
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Lack Of Some External Reference System.... LOSERS :)
Firework Photography
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Sure, there's an external reference system. It's called "my watch".

(The fact that my watch and the game clock are in violent disagreement is immaterial. The game clock isn't external.)
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Bjarni wrote:while trains moves at half speed.
Erm, you sure about that one?

afaia ships, rvs and trains all use the same speed (in TTD, TTDP, and all versions of OTTD), and planes travel at 1/4 speed (in default TTD and older versions of OTTD) or the same speed as the rest in 0.6.0.
LordOfThePigs
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LordOfThePigs »

Bjarni wrote:You are making it very clear. You all suffer from LOPT (Lack of OpenTTD Play Time)

I was scared for a second there...
Sometimes I'm told "Brilliant"...
Sometimes I'm told "Charming"...
And Often I'm told "Shut Up"!
zhargon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by zhargon »

According to the Laws of Association Football, the pitch size is 50-100 yards by 100-130 yards. In TT/TTD/OTTD the pitch in the graphic has always been in the centre of a 2x2 square, half the width of each square being taken up by the stands; ergo, the TT pitch must be representative of a 100x100 yard pitch, and therefore the map consists of 100 yard squares.

Of course you could do the calculation based on the track guage (standard), but depending on the rail graphics used, could mean a square of 9'5" to 18'10" .....

Return to “General OpenTTD”