New Graphics - Blender ".blend" thread (Works In Progress)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: New Graphics - Blender ".blend" thread

Post by LordAzamath »

GeekToo wrote:Ben, that is a very nice tree indeed. A while ago, I found a nice plugin for Blender for tree generation: http://www.geocities.com/bgen3/ I've tried it for a while, and it did look very promising, but I've not had much time to use it very much, cause the grass, bus and iron ore mine use enough of my free time. But it may be a hint for other Blenderists.

I do have a question: how is the 32bpp graphics going further? Meaning, some people use the branch for the 256 px testing but it is not developed any more(and still buggy in the state it is now). And in the main branch, I do not know whether the extra zoom level will be implemented soon, now Truelight has retired as developer.
So should effort be made to expand the downloadable list I've created on the wiki: http://wiki.openttd.org/index.php/List_ ... 32bpp_tars like LordAzamath and Soeb did ( nice work guys ) and a lot more graphics are already finished enough to play with, only need some rerendering and pngcoding, or should we continue to make more 256px renders, that will not be ready for the game in the near future?
I use the branch(dead) only for screenshots (now). So ofcourse I will make them 64px wide and correct height. They just aren't ready yet. Think we should do both. If we create a new sprite, we will finish it till it's released (like my bank). And when we have time, we will contact other authors whose work is in wiki and try to pngcodec them too. So we will add more things to the finished graphics section. I currently 9just don't have time to finish pngcodecing the road tiles (I hope Soeb finishes them and puts them up :) ). And I will update the tropical flats too. And then I have to complete the mall, which I'm going to pngcodec and release too, and then I have a nice! building built by blueprint WIP, which I think I will give to this community too. I just haven't done much because I have had to study much lately. And in meantime, I will try to get in contact with some artist, whose work is in wiki.
GeekToo wrote:
Correct, they are 64 px wide, but that is because I can control the size of the render, the height is slightly higher than the original. But what i meant was:if you only have the png, you can resize them a little larger than 64 px wide, so the non transparent part fills the complete original, and then crop the one or 2 pixels left or right.
The other thing was not a typo, but now I reread it, it was not very clear either. It is supposed to be a formula for calculating the coarse X and Y offset. (x and y are the width and height of the png).
So the x_offset is: (64/2)-1 = 31, and the y_offset=32-31=1 for a 64x32 px png. With this formula the first pngcodec can be created, and then be fine tuned with the explostion tool (Hope it is clear now, I really should learn to express myself clearer :)
Yea, I can understand now what you meant :)

Has anyone heard anything of Dmh_Mac lately? I would pngcodec lot's of his works if I would recieve permission, but at the last visit tab, I can see only emptiness in his user profile and his last post was somewhere in...6th May (http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... t=#p582281)
I will PM him shortly I think, but for today.....Good night everybody :)
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Tree looks great. With previous suggestions it will be even better. Thanks!
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
chromaphase
Engineer
Engineer

Post by chromaphase »

test, few things
Attachments
Untitled-1 copy.png
Untitled-1 copy.png (457.58 KiB) Viewed 8730 times
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

Blaze: For the last stage the trees in the original are complexly bare, even the twigs and smaller branches have fallen off. Ideally I would like to add more tree ‘frames’ so that the change is more gradual, and there is room for more of the key stages of it growing and dieing.

GeekToo: I had heard about that, and I believe it’s the plug-in Aracirion was experimenting with a while back. I’m using max though, and although there are plugins there at a cost, and I haven’t yet seen anything particularly convincing.

People can work on what they wish obviously. Some may choose to do full zoom, and some just 32bpp, just as some may choose to do 8bpp. I personally am interesting in the first option, as it probably evident, and am working towards a full zoom set. Therefore if people are interested in doing this, but are currently making graphics at original zoom sizes then it will involve more work if and when they change the scale of there graphics. The work isn’t to no avail unless you intend it not as your final objective, and nobody else wants it…and the later is unlikely. So in short, make graphics to which ever spec you wish, but the full zoom 32bpp is still 1 target.

BiggBB: Animated grass would be good if it becomes possible to do so, the leaves falling and trees swaying is asking a LOT though!..far beyond a currently plausable. I do like the idea of leaves on the ground as the tree dies though, but I am going to work on that separately and merge them with the tree sprites later, as I have a different intended method of creation for that.

Chromaphase: good work, but can you post at the real scale so its clear what things will actually look like. Am I correct to assume that that is a Photoshopped version, rather than an actual in game shot?

Tonight I worked on a pine tree anyway. I’ve added it to the original tree file here. I’ve attached a screen shot below also of it, and a gif to show the stages. I’ve actually made double the frames required, to make it smoother. Hopefully someday that will be possible to add. It needs more frames with it breaking up after its left dead standing really also. I've noted down the suggestions on the last tree, and I'll work on them at some point.
Attachments
Pine.gif
Pine.gif (307.8 KiB) Viewed 8656 times
Pinetreesingame.PNG
Pinetreesingame.PNG (793.07 KiB) Viewed 8435 times
Ben
denny577
Engineer
Engineer

Post by denny577 »

I'm really looking forward to getting home and being able to play OTTD again :))
Those graphics lok really terrific. If I can be of any help, please tell me. Only I don't have any experience with pngcodec or Blender :))
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

So here are those graphics. Now their working fine.
temperateroads.tar
(80 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
townroadbits.tar
(20 KiB) Downloaded 222 times
@EDIT: Railways were done. Not all but a few were done. Should I code it and post it here?
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

denny577 wrote:I'm really looking forward to getting home and being able to play OTTD again :))
Those graphics lok really terrific. If I can be of any help, please tell me. Only I don't have any experience with pngcodec or Blender :))
hmm....pngcodec you don't need until you have modeled something :D
and as for Blender, in June I first heared about a free program, which was capable to do 3d graphics...There are lots of tutorials avilable for blender, but I suggest you first install Blender and follow this guide
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro
It's a great guide and I really feel ashamed for not completing it. :) I suggest just give it a try :) And if you have done something, let us know too :) Blender can be downloaded from http://www.blender.org/download/get-blender/
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
Rysiek
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Rysiek »

Fix
Attachments
fix.png
fix.png (31.56 KiB) Viewed 7654 times

polish forum
about openttd

http://openttd.prochy.pl - zapraszam.
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

Fixed:
townroadbits.tar
(20 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
Now it works.
chromaphase wrote:test, few things
Where did you get that foundations? And that piece of fence?
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Soeb wrote:Fixed:
townroadbits.tar
Now it works.
chromaphase wrote:test, few things
Where did you get that foundations? And that piece of fence?
you can always recodec the city-roads too, when you think it's off. I think it's better, if one person would do all the roads, and I don't have time right now. So if there are more errors, then you can codec the cityroads.tar too.
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

Here are coded all in one file. Now their all work with each other.
temperate+townroads.tar
(160 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
There were a few annoying bugs in town roads, but now they work
Tidus97
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Tidus97 »

Hey guys, i am probably no where near as good as you guys so i started with something basic; the water tower.

it may or maynot already be done. i checked the wiki and it was classed as a 'WIP?' and said it wasnt sure.

anyway, all i need to do is add a few more details, but i -really- need textures and i cannot find any. (floor, etc)

the shadows also seem to be very dark..pitch black infact.

any help on them?

one more thing; i was not sure which camera setup to use, so i downloaded the file full of blender save files which had set camera/lighting, and use the F 12,5 high one. I think that is for one square.
Attachments
untitled.PNG
untitled.PNG (73.68 KiB) Viewed 7165 times
Tidus97
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Tidus97 »

Updated it,

changed a few stuff including the puddle of water. i was going to add water somewhere, but obviously the floor is a bad place to add a puddle of water when your in a desert ;)

anyway, its done except for texture but still looks too plain.

any ideas?

compare it with my version below
Attachments
untitled.PNG
untitled.PNG (84.04 KiB) Viewed 7534 times
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

Small UFO + Large UFO + Fighter
Coded. Graphics by Wacki.
Those are replaced:
replaced.png
replaced.png (1.64 KiB) Viewed 6998 times
small+largeufo+fighter.tar
(10 KiB) Downloaded 7924 times
Wacki
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Wacki »

Here is picture with UFOs + fighter in 32bpp quality.
And thank you Soeb, that you code it :)

edit: Tidus97- I think, that is realy nice, but maybe it need some "dirt" textures, specially metal parts.
Attachments
UFOs+fighter.PNG
UFOs+fighter.PNG (107.66 KiB) Viewed 6827 times
Sorry for my very bad English!!! :(
I am 3dsmax artist.
dmh_mac
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dmh_mac »

lordazamath wrote: Has anyone heard anything of Dmh_Mac lately? I would pngcodec lot's of his works if I would recieve permission, but at the last visit tab, I can see only emptiness in his user profile and his last post was somewhere in...6th May (http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... t=#p582281)
Let me know under what licence you would want me to release my openttd work. (gpl, copyleft, etc.)

p.s. I recall already releasing a bunch of stuff for openttd use, by the way.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

dmh_mac wrote:let me know under what licence you would want me to release my openttd work. (gpl, copyleft, etc.)
I was under the impression that the GPL was the canonical copyleft license, with the generic useful-to-us alternative being "copycenter" (BSD-style).
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

dmh_mac wrote:
lordazamath wrote: Has anyone heard anything of Dmh_Mac lately? I would pngcodec lot's of his works if I would recieve permission, but at the last visit tab, I can see only emptiness in his user profile and his last post was somewhere in...6th May (http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... t=#p582281)
Let me know under what licence you would want me to release my openttd work. (gpl, copyleft, etc.)

p.s. I recall already releasing a bunch of stuff for openttd use, by the way.
hmm..I guess I didn't PM you at all... :D
About the licence, I think GNU/GPL is the best... (I don't know anything else :D). And OpenTTD is with GPL too (it is, yes?).
Nice to see you posting, I guess :D
But there are little concerns with your wirks too, which is why I waited and thought for a solution. The pavement is wrong. OpenTTD has got official pavement, which differs from yours. If you don't have time, maybe you could give somebody the .blend files and they'd put on the standard pavement (possibly me too ;) ) and the last lightning setup. ..and if you do have time....

I would be glad to code them so they can be used in game too. :)
Lord
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Tidus97: Excellent Water Tower. I don't mind it is already done, this is very nice. Only take care of the sun direction. The reflection on top is SE, whereas sun comes somewhere East. Don't be fooled by original sprite's sun direction. TTD sprites are inconsistent.

Wacki: Large UFO is very blocky. I know it is like original that comes from another game, but it is time to beautify it.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Tidus97
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Tidus97 »

I am using the camera and light set up downloadable off of the wiki. it has to be correct, doesnt it? :? i didnt touch the light or anything else for that matter.

anyway, i will be doing simple texturing now, thanks for the feedback.

Return to “Graphics Development”