OpenGFX - Graphics Base Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - Revived

Post by Zephyris »

I think it would be appropriate to split the debate about how the new graphics should be applied to a separate thread, so I was bold enough to make one here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... &sk=t&sd=a
We don't want to scare off any artists!

Re: athanasios
As FooBar said I am very sorry to hear that. Deepest sympathies and the very best of wishes.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

athanasios wrote:1. Even maintaining the same name as original grfs is copyright violation.
EXPN? It's possible to copyright a filename? Trademark sure, but copyright?
athanasios wrote:To avoid legal issues, the new grf we are making should have a different name and different number of sprites.
Again, I don't see. "We're redrawing all the sprites to make a functional replacement for trg?r.grf that can be used anywhere the copyrighted trg?r.grf could." This has the *requirement*, in the case of TTD and TTDPatch, that the name be the same. I believe copyright law allows for replacing single files with free equivalents. See, for example, the various mods for Diablo 2, which work by replacing patch.mpq.
I never did Freelancer mods, but I understand they work in about the same way,
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Wookie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Wookie »

athanasios wrote:1. Even maintaining the same name as original grfs is copyright violation.
...What the?! Just think... I have wrote a document, say essay.doc. So everybody will be breaking my copyrights when writing an essay?

There are some things that cannot be copyrighted. For example, you cannot copyright the black & white checker or stripes because it's the symbol that everybody knows and uses.
You can reserve the rights for the original name of your technology, but not the filename or extension. If that was possible, I would be the first one to copyright *.dlls and *.exes and data.*s :D
Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

They say Lucasfilms tried to copyright the word 'Nazi' for their Indiana Jones franchise.

I am also of opinion, that 'file having name in the pattern of "trg?r.grf" containing x bitmap sprites in format y' can not be copyrighted... Unless there are some legal restrictions towards the file format itself.
That's only my opinion though.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Wookie wrote:... I would be the first one to copyright *.dlls and *.exes and data.*s :D
I'd copyright "New Folder" :P

Anyway, we're having this discussion elsewhere, so please let's dicuss this further over there

And 'there' is over here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... &sk=t&sd=a
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

athanasios wrote:Yep, and the rest through a parameter or a separate GRF. :idea:
OTTD is not going to get confined to a single GRF. Maybe even larger versions for those who use XL resolutions...
Pity we cannot have transparent cursors in 8bpp.
So.. today I learned how to do it.. Which means I've got a working grf with parameters..parameter0=0 sets the second row of skidd13's sprites, parameter0=1 sets the third .
BUT. Because the sprites aren't all ready yet, I'll not publish it yet.

AND.. because I seem to be pretty much untalented :D which concerns 8bpp, then I will draw less and code more.. So if anyone wants to get some sprites coded you may call me too, so you could draw more. That doesn't mean that I won't draw at all, but I'm learning it properly under hand of Skidd13 :)

Lord
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

lordazamath wrote:So if anyone wants to get some sprites coded you may call me too, so you could draw more.
You can fix my newSelectors v0.3...
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

ok.. I'm on it.. It's always interesting to learn new actions :D (action05 that is)
Action 5 entries in a .grf file which has a regular GRF ID (not FFFFFFFF) will always override those from .grf files with a GRF ID of FFFFFFFF (starting from 2.0.1 alpha 19).
So some will be actionA some action5.. I won't make you wait too long :)

EDIT: Ok, now I got this code.. I can't test it atm because I'll go to sleep now but it's either one of those three variants I think for action5

Code: Select all

-1 * 00 05 95 15 c8 05
-1 * 00 05 95 15 00 00
-1 * 00 05 95 15 02 00

//realsprites
the first one - offset is 1480, the number of the first sprite in this set
but if we look to the nfo of openttdw.grf, then it says that

1478 * 21	 0C "OpenTTD GUI graphics"
 1479 * 4	 05 95 87 00
then when the first sprite in this set would be 1480, this would apply I guess.. if the first sprite would be 1478, then the third one.. Am I right?
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

I'm going to put my money on this:

-1 * 00 05 95 0C 00
for the halftile selectors

And for the record: my "OpenTTD GUI graphics" start at sprite 1532. Can't remember from which revision that came though...
CARST
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by CARST »

Hi, i have a question, i had no the time to read the whole thread and i didn't used the search feature, so i hope it haven't been discussed before...

Now that there is the possibility to have 32bpp gfx wouldn't it be better to make the set for 32bpp?

And i'm sure there will be someone in the future starting a 32bpp project. And if i add the time invested in the 8bpp project to the time invested in the possible future 32bpp project that sums up to some wasted time.

Don't get me wrong, that isn't ment to be rude and i don't need 32bpp gfx, i actually use no grfs with 32bpp, so that is just a question...

Why is this replacement project made for 8bpp?
Playing TT & TTD since 1995 - Will satisfy the Megalomaniac in everyone!

Click here to see all my maps!
Highlights:
CarstsEuropeScenario based on SRTM-Data (Redo planned)
CarstsWorldScenario based on satellite heightmap
CarstsGermanyScenario coming soon...
CarstsBerlinBburgScenario planned...
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

8bpp graphics are, and always will be, needed to run the game.
The only currently available complete 8bpp graphics set is not freely distributable.
NewGRFs are designed for use with 8bpp graphics.
And I can't draw 32bpp graphics well!

*edit* Sorry, that sounded really harsh! but there are lots of sound reasons...
Last edited by Zephyris on 16 Jan 2008 22:04, edited 1 time in total.
skidd13
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by skidd13 »

@CARST: You should have read the thread! At least the first post. There is also another project wich does the 32bpp sprites.
What does that mean - the circumstances? I determine what circumstances prevail. -- Napoleon Bonaparte
---
If we cannot end now our differences, at least we can help make the world safe for diversity. -- John F. Kennedy
---
Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings. -- John F. Kennedy
CARST
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by CARST »

I read the complete first page and then was to lazy to continue reading, so i wrote down my question.

But if 8bpp will be needed forever, that's is a good reason you're going for 8bpp.
Playing TT & TTD since 1995 - Will satisfy the Megalomaniac in everyone!

Click here to see all my maps!
Highlights:
CarstsEuropeScenario based on SRTM-Data (Redo planned)
CarstsWorldScenario based on satellite heightmap
CarstsGermanyScenario coming soon...
CarstsBerlinBburgScenario planned...
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Sooo, I was bored of pixel work, and made the following. I plan to use it for one/some of the end-game graphics... Not sure which yet. The 8bpp conversion still needs some tweaking...
Attachments
Art Deco Train Shaded.png
Art Deco Train Shaded.png (68.88 KiB) Viewed 7152 times
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Very cool replacement.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Very nice indeed, Zephyris!

As for 32bpp: I refuse to draw in 32bpp :D

I like 8bpp, shifting pixels here and there, limited colours, limited sizes. It's difficult to make something that looks good, and that's the challenge for me.

I'm not too keen on 3D modelling as it's done for 32bpp. There's a lot of details and it takes ages of tweaking to get something right. I don't like redoing stuff for the umptyfirst time. That doesn't mean I don't respect the people who do work on 32bpp. I do respect those people a lot, as there are some great graphics being produced!
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

Well, all selectors are done. I don't see too many comments on my Electric Sparks, so I'll claim them as done.
Thanks for your help.
Attachments
Penbury Transport, 14th Feb 2000.png
Penbury Transport, 14th Feb 2000.png (327.49 KiB) Viewed 1266 times
OpenGFX_-_newSelectors_v0.3.grf
(9.54 KiB) Downloaded 1179 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Re: Soeb
What is happening at the corners of the selectors? It looks a bit odd... And would you mind making sparks for the power station too?
Nickman
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nickman »

@Soeb: I would make the selectors more "defined"... You made them a bit 'fuzzy' now, so they look a bit thick...
If they could have transparancy, I think they would look great, but i don't really like them now.
Try not using a fading colour and make them a bit slimmer ;).
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

Zephyris wrote:Re: Soeb
What is happening at the corners of the selectors? It looks a bit odd... And would you mind making sparks for the power station too?
It's because some graphics are drawn over selectors. It was like that before too.
Yes. I'll replace sparks sprites for power station too.
Nickman wrote:@Soeb: I would make the selectors more "defined"... You made them a bit 'fuzzy' now, so they look a bit thick...
If they could have transparancy, I think they would look great, but i don't really like them now.
Try not using a fading colour and make them a bit slimmer ;).
They are as slim as original.

@EDIT: I will remake all sparks cause I've loosed the file, and grf hasn't got all sprites.

Return to “Graphics Development”