OpenGFX - Graphics Base Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - OpenGFX

Post by Trond »

Quick question: what does the compression in the nfo file do?

Code: Select all

// Format: spritenum pcxfile xpos ypos *compression* ysize xsize xrel yrel
Does it really add compression to the image? And if so, wich compression is best, 1 or 9? (only seen 1,3 and 9 used so far I think)
..: Trond :.. because you deserve it! Image

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
and wiser people so full of doubts.
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
frosch
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by frosch »

The only valid values for compression are 00, 01, 02, 03 and 09 (except the special flag 0x40 that is only important for grfcodec).
However since the blitter rewrite 00 - 03 are handled the same by OTTD. If you don't care about the difference for TTDP either use 01 or 09.

The best value depends on which and how many pixels are transparent.
If the non-transparent pixels are arranged to bigger blocks along the pixellines use 09. If there are no transparent pixels or transparent pixels and non-transparent alternate a lot along the pixellines use 01.

If you are interested in improving drawing for TTDP (does not make a difference for OTTD):
You can use 00 resp. 02 if there are NO transparent pixels at all. 00 is slightly quicker than 01. 02 is a valid value but does not make a lot of sense to me.
You can use 02 resp. 03 to store the sprite compressed in memory. Drawing will be slower, but the sprite needs less memory while it is not used. Useful for big sprites which are hardly used (like the newpaper "tycoon of the century" at game end)
⢇⡸⢸⠢⡇⡇⢎⡁⢎⡱⢸⡱⢸⣭⠀⢸⢜⢸⢸⣀⢸⣀⢸⣭⢸⡱⠀⢰⠭⡆⣫⠰⣉⢸⢸⠀⢰⠭⡆⡯⡆⢹⠁⠀⢐⠰⡁
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Thanx for the explanation frosch. Made sense to me, so it seems correct for me to use 9 for the cursor and icons I'm coding right now... :)

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Zephyris, maglev tunnels have a graphical glitch. Can you rerelease it?
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

Added some things to "my" files.

Thergo did send me the turner turbo, so i added that to the liveryoverride-file, as well as:
Purno provided sprites to the TGV and the Asiastar ... Witch now is a Thalys :)
Attachments
OpenGFX_-_Livery_Override_v0.3.grf
(29.08 KiB) Downloaded 1395 times
OpenGFX_-_newTrains-7of9_v0.6.grf
(6.24 KiB) Downloaded 1338 times
Member of the
ImageImage
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

What glitch is that? and in which newinfrastructure version?
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

stupid me.. Just saying you've got a glitch :D
newInfrastructure v0.3
Attachments
Don't nag too much DaleStan, I'm ill...
Don't nag too much DaleStan, I'm ill...
stupidme.png (14.15 KiB) Viewed 15257 times
Last edited by LordAzamath on 21 Feb 2008 08:39, edited 1 time in total.
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Could you be convinced to point the arrow at something vaguely close to the actual glitch, and/or crop the image to only show the glitch, and not the rest of the properly working stuff?
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Meh, i hate offsets :? Will be fixed when i have time, which may not be for a while I'm afraid...
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

If I may, I can fix it myself, Zeph. And then make a release. BTW, on weekend Ammler is going to publish coop pack 7. As we said before, coop testing is a good idea, so I made an archive containing all latest big packs at once and made a readme. Please if someone has improvements/suggestions/is not happy with this, let me know. I will give it to Ammler friday evening.
OpenGFX pack v0.0.1

This pack is a collection of grfs found in the first post in this thread at tt-forums. http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... &sk=t&sd=a
It includes:
- OpenGFX Terrain - v0.4
- OpenGFX Landscape - v0.3
- OpenGFX Infrastructure - v0.3
- OpenGFX GUI - v0.1
- OpenGFX Fonts - v0.1
- OpenGFX Trains - v0.3
- OpenGFX Road Vehicles - v0.1
- OpenGFX Eyecandy - v0.1
- OpenGFX newIndustries - v0.4

Please note that this isn't anything similar to final pack. This is just all-in-one pack for guys who want to download everything at once. Updates will be avilable at http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... &sk=t&sd=a.

Please don't distribute this pack by yourself, but link to tt-forums topic, so they could be sure, they got the last version.

And now, the CREDITS part

Main guys:
Zephyris - main artist/coder of the whole project
LordAzamath - organizer of the Replacement Project, another great coder and (not so great) artist.
Soeb - Keeping wiki up-to-date and coding some stuff. Also the author of fences, electric sparks and other eyecandy things.

Other contributors:
Leppka
Skidd15
Buttercup
DJNekkid/7of9
Athanasios
Foobar
Red*Star
mph
Purno
DanMack
Prissi
Trond
Uzurpator
Roujin
thgergo
Raumkraut
Bubersson

Misc. help:
Korenn for magnificent palconvert tool
Gonozal_VIII for good feedback at IRC channel
DaleStan for some pointers for coding

Readme compiled by LordAzamath. For any questions regarding the set please use the forum topic or pm me in tt-forums.net

madis

EDIT1: Updated for Soeb
Last edited by LordAzamath on 21 Feb 2008 17:41, edited 2 times in total.
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

LordAzamath, please remove newselectors and add el. sparks or eyecandy grf instead. I stopped working on them, some time ago.

@EDIT: Thanks.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Nice work y'all!

I figured I'd let hear from me again...

Unfortunately I'm myself still too busy with other stuff. Study is consuming a massive amount of time. They expect me to put 20 hours per week in one single course! That's just sick. And not gonna happen. Like if I don't have anything better to do :?

I really want to expand the railway station designs, but the thing called spare time has to be reinvented or something...

Anyways, keep up the good work. The set still makes good progress. I still try and keep up with the topic. If you don't hear form me, I'm usually happy with the progress and results!
Wookie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Wookie »

I see this topic still grows very dynamically :)

Good. ;)

Has anybody made the Middle-sized font? I don't see it anywhere.

Anyway, I've said that I'll make it and so did I. It took me so long because I didn't have too much free time recently. But I'm back in action and the font is almost ready. I have code it and then realised that I hadn't make all the symbols. However, it won't take long, I will upload the grf file as soon as it will be complete... :)
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

I see 'my' forest industry isnt included in - OpenGFX newIndustries - v0.4, anyone wanne tell me why? I cant fix it/change it unless I know why it isnt good enough to be included ;)

Yeh, fonts... Those already released by Zephyris is missing the norwegian letters æøå ÆØÅ, so I just get spaces where they should be... FYI. They work fine in OTTD before replacement...

Bertrand Russell

sickie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sickie »

Warning: Not so good english ahead ;)
Hello, good people from OpenGFX. I want to make a question/suggestion: In the General OpenTTD forum, there is the Sound replacement project thread, where some sounds has been already posted (and hopefully more of them will be). Now I wonder: in your replacement pack, are there included new sounds or are used the original (TT(D)) sounds? If you use original, it would be better if you would use new sounds (and Sound replacement project can be your friend here :)) Or is replacing sounds irrelevant to OpenGFX project?
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Replacing sounds is the "sister project", openGFX has nothing to do with it, but would like to see it completed... Once the sound replacement is complete then the graphics replacement will use the new sounds.

Re: Trond
Oh, sorry about that, I forgot to mention there were some action colour problems with the trees (the "ground cycle"). If I had time I would have fixed it mysel, but I am very low on time! Feel free to fix it and make newIndustries v0.5 yourself!
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Oh rly :oops:

Well, I did a palconvert on the sprites now and updated the version number... Does it look alright now? I didnt notice any blinking myself, but that could be coz i play on rather high resolution...

Please let me know if anything is still wrong :)

EDIT2: Changed the file after doing a little retouching to get rid of some light green pixels here and there... There should not be any action colors on groundsprites now (thats what you meant Zeph?) but the ground is NOT supposed to be all green, but green with a little dirt on it :)

EDIT: considering changing one of the states to display logs: for me this looks better... The logs are the same logs as Zeph's sawmill... What do you think?
Attachments
OpenGFX_-_newIndustries_Temperate_-_Forest_v0.19.grf
no logs
(7.72 KiB) Downloaded 1118 times
considering.png
considering.png (54.74 KiB) Viewed 14431 times
Last edited by Trond on 22 Feb 2008 11:22, edited 1 time in total.

Bertrand Russell

Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

Trond: That's a very interesting idea, and helps distinguishing a forest from regular trees! Nice!

I'll give the .grf a try and see if I find any blinking stuff.

edit: no blinking pixels spotted... but no logs either, you didn't put them in yet did you?
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Nope... Or I did, so I have them in my game, but not in the grf I put up here :) Tought I would hear what people tought about it before I put it up...

Good to hear there where no blinkies or anything tough :)

EDIT: But then again, its better to see it ingame, so here we go...
Attachments
OpenGFX_-_newIndustries_Temperate_-_Forest_v0.20.grf
with logs
(8.27 KiB) Downloaded 1182 times

Bertrand Russell

LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

OpenGFX - newInfrastructure v0.4

Complete:
All rails
All road tiles
All level crossings
All tunnels (maglev glitch for toyland/temperate fixed)
All stations/stops
All signals
Road depot, Ship depot, buoy

To do:
Bridges
Rail depots
Something more I maybe have forgotten

1299 sprites (total, including pseudo sprites. Last version had 1160 sprites)!
Attachments
OpenGFX_-_newInfrastructure_v0.4.grf
(855.28 KiB) Downloaded 2500 times

Return to “Graphics Development”