OpenGFX - Graphics Base Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - OpenGFX

Post by Trond »

I'll just azume that the building I smacked together from your (zephyris') file just isnt good enough then?
..: Trond :.. because you deserve it! Image

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
and wiser people so full of doubts.
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Sorry, I missed that one :( Don't worry, it will be included! I am going to be drawing some more 3 storey houses for the edge of towns, if you feel like drawing some more :D

*edit* And Connum, you building isn't included yet because it is (in my opinion) not quite finished, but it will be included in the end! If you feel like drawing some more modernish shops (like yours, think concrete and 60s) I would like to include more of these too...
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

With the amount of posts that comes in this thread I'm not surprised you missed it :P Activity in this thread is wild at times. I guess thats a good sign tough :) I'll maybe try my hand at something more advanced at some point, with your graphicsfile its much easier for us amateurs ;)
..: Trond :.. because you deserve it! Image

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
and wiser people so full of doubts.
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
buttercup
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by buttercup »

Trond wrote:Well, personally I really like this transmitter made by Lordazamath. Cant you make an 8bpp out of that and include that one lord?
Attachments
OpenGFX_-_newTransmitter_v0.1.grf
(1.91 KiB) Downloaded 1161 times
transmitter.png
transmitter.png (66.94 KiB) Viewed 6559 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Mmm, I can't wait...
Attachments
mockup small.png
mockup small.png (164.66 KiB) Viewed 6319 times
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

I like it, but they look way too uniform when grouped together. The original buidings had some colour variants, not all was red brick :) Aside from that, the buildigns themselves look absolutely awesome
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Just waiting for the windows, then Ill make the colour variants :D
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Awesome :) I'd like to see a whitish one w/a green slate roof :D
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

I thought the following skin* (still WIP for the building I need it) might be of use to someone:
*A color variant of the one I used for the road depots.
[
OK
1. Not tilable.
2. Not for tall buildings.
But better available here, than kept stored in my HD. :mrgreen:
]

EDIT
DanMacK: This skin is not so whitish, but still not so far. Arg. Lack of suitable colors in the palette are preventing me from combining it with a green-blue roof. Seems we though similar, but for different climates. This I plan to use for toyland. :lol:
Attachments
skin_04_SE_bread_skew_8bpp.pcx
(5.89 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
skin_04_S_bread_8bpp.pcx
(5.74 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
skin_04_SW_bread_skew_8bpp.pcx
(5.41 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
Last edited by athanasios on 08 Mar 2008 05:23, edited 2 times in total.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

And a preview:
Attachments
skin_04_bread_preview.png
skin_04_bread_preview.png (4.08 KiB) Viewed 6118 times
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

Zephyris wrote:Just waiting for the windows...
I'm coming! I'm coming!! :lol:
Eddie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Eddie »

I think the small houses should have some kind of path going to the roads or drive at the front of the house. They look a bit isolated just surrounded by a bit of grass.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Tis just a mockup, the gardens still need to be done...
Nudel
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nudel »

Zephyris wrote: It is literally no extra effort to texture 1000 buildings instead of 10, so please do as many as possible!
I wrote a small script in POV-Ray which randomly generates simple buildings. The attatched images shows the same scene with different seeds. Not very many variables put in yet, so they don't look that different. And the orthographic camera is playing some tricks at the bottom houses..

I wasn't sure about the perspective in OpenTTD, so I used standard 25.565 degrees isometric view.

Is there any way this could be useful? I won't bother playing more with it, if it is totally useless :wink:
Attachments
openttd_povray_test1.png
(61.8 KiB) Downloaded 411 times
openttd_povray_test2.png
(64.98 KiB) Downloaded 348 times
Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

Nudel wrote:Is there any way this could be useful? I won't bother playing more with it, if it is totally useless :wink:
Some of these could be used for central european/russian cities...

On the side note... geeez... mass sprite production! Next thing will be to build it into OTTD itself :D
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Well.. You could use these sprites to combine them to some bigger.. And then touch them over too.. Only problem I see will be lack of variation... Zephyris by now surely has the number of building, but they all look the same.. In original graphics all buildings were different somehow.. Not these..
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
Red*Star
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Red*Star »

@Zephyris and all the other building creators: Great work! :)

Back to my work, which can't be automated since there is only *one* oil rig ;):

Here you see the current version, nearly final, I think (construction stages do also exist). It's a mixture of elements of mainly these two real ones:
http://blog.wired.com/cars/images/2007/ ... il_rig.jpg
http://home.online.no/~asagnes/gullfaksB.jpg

The only open question is the alignment: I think the left variant looks nicer because the platform is centered to the tiles. The right variant has the bonus point that the helipad doesn't seem to break off aside because it really is *on top* of the roof of the main building. I let you decide, so vote ->now<- :lol

However, concerning the *basic geometric shape* my original version (the one that I made a year or more ago) looked better to me, but maybe I'm too perfectionistic ;)

Regards, Red*Star
Attachments
oil_rig_67.png
oil_rig_67.png (12.04 KiB) Viewed 5418 times
Like sun is to the dark soil,
so is true enlightenment to the soil's friends.

N.F.S. Grundtvig
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Re: Nudel
Wow! Impressive! Whilst I don't think that is really necessary for this project that is very impressive work, with some more tweaking that could be a very powerful tool...

Re: Red*Star
I prefer the one centred on the tile, perhaps add some more supports under the helipad so it looks less flimsy? Remember to use the new water!

Re: lordazamath
I couldn't quite understand your post, are you concerned all the buildings will look the same? I am currently drawing some more modern office blocks, and see the attached image for a preview of some colour schemes... There will be this variation in building material for all types of building.
Attachments
Shop Demo.png
Shop Demo.png (92.01 KiB) Viewed 5339 times
mph
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mph »

Looking reeally good.
Will the buildings colours be chosen randomly in game? (certainly for any extended set)
previously known as daylight
Nudel
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nudel »

Mchl wrote: Some of these could be used for central european/russian cities...

On the side note... geeez... mass sprite production! Next thing will be to build it into OTTD itself :D
The possility is there, but it dont think it will ever remove the benefit of human touch.
I would be great to make a OpenTTD to POV-Ray converter though, to make 3D views of our railways :P
lordazamath wrote:Well.. You could use these sprites to combine them to some bigger.. And then touch them over too.. Only problem I see will be lack of variation... Zephyris by now surely has the number of building, but they all look the same.. In original graphics all buildings were different somehow.. Not these..
The only random variables I've put in so far is size, number of stories and number of windows, so of course the variation is very small. It would be no problem to program different roofs, doors etc etc.
I increased the variation a little bit here:
openttd_povray_test4.png
(36.3 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
Zephyris wrote:Re: Nudel
Wow! Impressive! Whilst I don't think that is really necessary for this project that is very impressive work, with some more tweaking that could be a very powerful tool...
Thanks ;) More a proof-of-consept, than a real contribution I guess. Your buildings look really, really good!

The main advantage I see with scripting is the possibility to render the buildings from different viewpoints, and of course make a lot of buildings in a short time. The disadvantage I see is the transition from 3D to 8bpp 2D is lacking control over each pixel, so it will always need manual touch ups anyway. So why spend a lot of time with this when you skilled pixel artist make better looking stuff in less time ;)

One example of the power of scripting. It's a work in progress based on a (I think) Russian flat.
Same script, different variables.
Same script, different variables.
round_building_povray.png (93.85 KiB) Viewed 5250 times
But perhaps this would fit better with the 32bpp stuff?

Return to “Graphics Development”