OpenGFX - Graphics Base Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - OpenGFX

Post by LordAzamath »

ButterCup.. The new houses will be in + pack. In the non+pack you have to use ActionA mainly.. No Action0. To make it easily testable, GRFs have to be able to load in static mode. Only thing that wasn't loadable in the published packs was landscape because of rivers which use var2 IIRC.

And for the park... How did you find them? :o Well.. I'm always allow my drawings here :D.. But The concrete would need some touching though.. And I doubt of the meaningfullness of 2x2 parks when they are 1x1 currently. Action A, remember? :P Although they might be in +pack..

The houses do look nice, but you got to make them with 2 layers... No.. Better Action A replacement..
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
buttercup
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by buttercup »

Now with snow:
snow.png
snow.png (29.21 KiB) Viewed 10391 times
The code is rather inefficient at the moment so there is quite a lot of graphics duplication. This however would be a good excuse to have snow covered construction stages if people want them (and someone, most probably Zephyris, is willing to draw them).

Again, this isn't suitable for static use. I figured it would be better to start the Action A coding when there are enough direct replacements (such as new church, football stadium etc).

Edit: Whoops, some of the sprites weren't aligned properly; probably best to download it again if you're one of the five people who downloaded the first one.
Sorry :oops:

Edit2: File removed, see page 71
Last edited by buttercup on 12 Jun 2008 15:32, edited 1 time in total.
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Wow again! This certainly makes a difference in a game :P
Attachments
newbuilds.png
newbuilds.png (522.05 KiB) Viewed 10218 times
..: Trond :.. because you deserve it! Image

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
and wiser people so full of doubts.
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Well, sortoff a double post, but just tought it had to be mentioned that when I do a road reconstruction, they seem to wanne reconstruct some of the newbuildings too... So they drive on top of em with that bulldozer... probably some sort of priority problem in the newbuildings.grf I would guess...

(No, they dont actually do anything to the buildings ;))
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (5.76 KiB) Viewed 9278 times
..: Trond :.. because you deserve it! Image

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
and wiser people so full of doubts.
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Maybe the driver wants to commit suicide! :lol:
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Maybe not.. As I said the problem is that the background and foreground are not separated.. If you take a look into trg1r.grf you see what I mean. Bacground and foreground are separate sprites.
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

It's mostly on account of the grf not being coded quite right. It'll get there, I'm certain.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
bartpp7
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bartpp7 »

So hows progress and what % is it now like 100% and is there going to be a giant comination of GRF's
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

The progress is exactly as you see it.. And noone won't give any deadline, cos this is totally dependant of the contributors' free time. And if you really need a percent then it's about 56,879219 * 10 / 100 * 10 coz there are lot's of things undone
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

Does it matter what the percentage of completion the project is in?

If it's 100%, it's not completed.
If it's not 100%, it's a work in progress.
If it's not 100%, it means that help can still be given for a faster completion.

Either way, it is still something that can be loaded. And tasted. No, I do not mean tested, I really mean tasted.
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
OpenTTD and Realism? Well... Here are a few thoughs on the matter.
He he he he
------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Well.. If my post didn't make sense, then I meant exactly the same as Belugas :D.. Even if everything is ready, sure someone finds another place to make better and tweak.. It never stops.
neroden
Engineer
Engineer

Post by neroden »

Hope you don't mind if I ask similar questions? :o I'm confused by the project status.

First, is the Wiki page up to date?

Second, is the project finished replacing, say, any one of the original GRF files? I'm not sure what's in which of the original files. For instance, is all of trgi.grf finished or something like that? My original TTD CD has a copy of trgt.grf which OpenTTD complains about (though it seems to run OK), so I wonder about such things... ;-)

Third, does anyone know (if nobody knows, that's fine) how much of the 'deficit' of unreplaced material can be easily made up for by installing various people's NewGRF stuff (the ones which *aren't* necessarily designed as playalike replacements, like TTRS, UKRS, Generic Tram & Road Vehicle set)? There seem to be a large number of such projects. Also, what can ignored just by sticking to one climate (and which climate is most complete)? :-)

I'm just wondering what items are left until we can play *some* version of the game without using copyrighted graphics from TTD, even if it's a restricted version of the game with different rules. Judging from the table on the Wiki, it looks like you're not that far off: I guess the main font and the buttons in the GUI are the most crucial projects which haven't been started? If I ever get some free time and it hasn't been done yet, I might take a crack at the font (I'm no artist, but fonts are another matter).
Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

I can reply to the second one: No. None of the original files can be replaced as a whole with OpenGFX at this moment.

Wiki's been last updated on April 25th, so one might assume it's pretty much up to date.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

The wiki is currently pretty up to date, slow progress at the moment due to exam term...
LoWang
Engineer
Engineer

bad colours with newIndustries_v0.5.grf

Post by LoWang »

Hello When I load this one I get strange purple colours. It seems like it is a DOS version or something. I use the latest nightly build of OpenTTD
divnebarvy.PNG
divnebarvy.PNG (140.09 KiB) Viewed 6529 times
Those that are last, can yet be first...
Ailure
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Ailure »

belugas wrote:Does it matter what the percentage of completion the project is in?

If it's 100%, it's not completed.
If it's not 100%, it's a work in progress.
If it's not 100%, it means that help can still be given for a faster completion.

Either way, it is still something that can be loaded. And tasted. No, I do not mean tested, I really mean tasted.
The only reliable percentage that could be given would be the number of sprites replaced versus total amount of sprites. And even then it's not a reliable measurement since some of the said sprites could be work in progress/placeholder. :)
Ar4i
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Ar4i »

There are a few glitches with shores:
glitches
glitches
glitch.png (42.83 KiB) Viewed 6106 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

That is an inherent problem with the way shore graphics are displayed, not with the graphics...
Timitry
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timitry »

Any chance to solve it? Would be cool...

And another question: Couldn't we ask e.g. PikkaBird whether we can use his inudstry-graphics?
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Any chance to solve it?
The problem is when this feature was first in TTDPatch, and when it was introduced to OpenTTD the GRF framework for it was already in place. The graphics would be easy, just there is no way to get the game to recognise them...
Couldn't we ask e.g. PikkaBird whether we can use his inudstry-graphics?
Only if they are completely redrawn from scratch (which I don't think they are...)

Return to “Graphics Development”