OpenGFX - Graphics Base Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - OpenGFX

Post by CommanderZ »

And I think some people are getting jealous...
It is not only now, I bet it could be tracked at least several months back, if not longer (I don't mean only OpenGFX).

Btw, will the OpenGFX be TTDPatch compatible / will there be a TTDPatch compatible release?
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

CommanderZ wrote:
And I think some people are getting jealous...
It is not only now, I bet it could be tracked at least several months back, if not longer (I don't mean only OpenGFX).

Btw, will the OpenGFX be TTDPatch compatible / will there be a TTDPatch compatible release?
in the odg format, no it isn't compatible (unless DaleStan implements something similar for full graphics replacements for TTDP :P), but there will be also a release which is compatible with TTDPatch (aka newGRF, not GRF). But the priority is still the OpenTTD replacement format.
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Wait. What? Are the OpenGFX files somehow not in exactly the same format as TRG?.GRF/trg?r.grf?

If they are the same format, then you just replace the originals with the OpenGFX versions, and Bob's your uncle.

TTDPatch has supported this since ... Well, since before it came into existence, actually, since it's TTD that supports that, not Patch.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Indeed, but all the climate specific things (and OpenTTD specific and all other things) which cannot be done inside trg*(r).grfs will be done in openttdw.grf. It is possible to transform openttd*.grf to ttdpbase*.grf (or whatever its name was), but it's a lot of manual work (+ drawing TTDP specific sprites). So I think it'd be better if it's done by newGRF for TTDP.
But, replacing only trg*(r).grf is also possible, in which case ttdp would accept it, but it wouldn't replace everything. I hope I made some sense, if I didn't, please pm me, cos I wouldn't want to have some ttdp capabilities discussion at this thread :)

Madis
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

openttd.grf is basically the same as ttdpbase.grf, only with some ottd specific stuff added to that. So the new openttdw.grf should basically work just fine in ttdpatch. Otherwise, just load openttdw.grf as a newgrf in patch (you might need to change the grfid first). Speaking about Bob's uncle.

Leave it up to me. As soon as the ottd stuff is finished, I'll knock out a version that works with Patch if it doesn't do that already.
peter1138 wrote:Doesn't look much different to me.
Feel free to remain using the original TTD graphics then. :wink:
I don't consider OpenGFX a copy as in the definition of copy. It's even less of a copy than the Chinese starbucks implementation I saw a while ago in the funny pictures section (or was that engrish.com, anyways...). It's not even a derived work, because no single group of pixels [0] has been reused.
I agree that it's a similar work, but take the grass for instance. Is that similar to the TTD grass, or similar to the grass outside your window, with some gridlines added? [1]

Maybe we should get Atari's official statement on the new graphics. If it's something like "do whatever you like, we're not interested in TTD any more", we're completely off the hook. Forever. Or I could just buy the rights to TTD: "Whose baby is that", "What's your angle" and "I'll buy that".

[0]If you look at single pixels, you'll probably find 100% of them reused, but that due to the limited palette colours.
[1]See [2].
[2]Other examples might be more similar to TTD graphics than real world equivalents, but that's the other 50% I talked about earlier.
Jupix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Jupix »

Please, can we stop with the legality debate?
#################
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

Post by Digitalfox »

Jupix wrote:Please, can we stop with the legality debate?
I agree.. :evil:

Always the same sh*t, could Patch fanboys** stop it ??

Is this the kind of support Zephyris deserves? I don't think so...

Let this topic alone please, oh please please..

**You guys remind me of Apple fanboys, and I own a iPhone, but I think it's stupid any kind of fan boy!!
prissi
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by prissi »

Ok, can two pages too late: But I would still comment, that the buildings attached to the church tower should be a little wider. Or the people have to stand back at the wall during service ... Others than that I am amazed, that this too sooo long to take off and is finished so fast in the end.
I like to look at great maps and see how things flow. A little like a finished model railway, but it is evolving and actually never finished. http://www.simutrans.com
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Jupix wrote:Please, can we stop with the legality debate?
So, the copyright status of the project whose stated aim is to clear OpenTTD of files with non-open copyrights is not relevant?
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

prissi wrote:...the buildings attached to the church tower should be a little wider. Or the people have to stand back at the wall during service ...
I noticed that too, but I didn't comment because I though that OTTDlanders aren't so religious to fill the church! :mrgreen:
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Jupix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Jupix »

DaleStan wrote:So, the copyright status of the project whose stated aim is to clear OpenTTD of files with non-open copyrights is not relevant?
It is, but the 8bpp replacement project doesn't have a separate development thread so these long-winded discussions about legality and other minutiae get in the way of
  • the artists' work
  • guests viewing the thread for information about the project's progress
and that's why they should be left for some other thread.
#################
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

I updated the first two posts. Didn't update the pack yet though.. I guess I'll update the pack whenwe have opengfx1r.grf and those too.. I think.. I'll just add a note there that the pack is heavily outdated
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Jupix wrote:and that's why they should be left for some other thread.
I agree, and in fact I just opened that thread right here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=39462

I copied everything that has been said on the subject so far to that thread, so feel free to continue there or forever hold your silence.

LordAzamath wrote:I guess I'll update the pack whenwe have opengfx1r.grf and those too.. I think..
That should be largely done somewhere next week and at least in a state that it's releasable for beta-testing. Some things might be missing, but about 98% of trg1r should be done and coded by then I guess. And hopefully I get the biggest part of openttdw.grf done by the end of the week.

So by the end of the week, the OpenGFX project should be largely completed with the exeption of toyland. I bet that still will be a big pain in the youknowwhat, but I've seen some good toyland things recently. So if one feels like contributing, draw some toyland stuff!
Red*Star
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Red*Star »

Okay, to get slightly back on topic: I've done a version of the locks in the "Red*Stars docks"-style. I hope this is somthing you could accept to make a poll on :roll:
Attachments
Comparison of the already in-game docks/locks of Zephyris (right side) and the ones I initially wanted to add.
Comparison of the already in-game docks/locks of Zephyris (right side) and the ones I initially wanted to add.
locks-docks-comp.png (23.33 KiB) Viewed 5515 times
Like sun is to the dark soil,
so is true enlightenment to the soil's friends.

N.F.S. Grundtvig
buttercup
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by buttercup »

There are actually two types of locks anyway:
locks.png
locks.png (25.88 KiB) Viewed 5381 times
If you let me know which of the new versions you want in each place, you can have both.

(Red*Star, have you coded your locks or was the screenshot a mockup?)
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Please remove the 'crane' stuff above the locks since we cannot have tall ships with these.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Red*Star
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Red*Star »

buttercup wrote:There are actually two types of locks anyway:
The attachment locks.png is no longer available
If you let me know which of the new versions you want in each place, you can have both.

(Red*Star, have you coded your locks or was the screenshot a mockup?)
Uhm... seriously, I never noticed that :shock:. Well, you could of course easily use my docks for both versions.

(@coding: No, it's just a mockup.)

athanasios wrote:Please remove the 'crane' stuff above the locks since we cannot have tall ships with these.
Maybe I could increase the cranes height? How tall is the tallest one? (*)

However, in the current version I've just changed them into pylon-things. As you can see on the following picture I've done all directions now, and, also: Decreased the width of the locks (in contrast to the "original"s made of stones) from 34 px to 32 px at the front entry. So they don't longer overlap when set next to each other.

[Additional note: I'll make a cutdown of the sprites if I get an answer to (*).]
Attachments
locks_all_dirs.png
locks_all_dirs.png (22.01 KiB) Viewed 4924 times

N.F.S. Grundtvig
Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

I think pylon-things are better. I don't think gantry-cranes are needed in locks...
Red*Star
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Red*Star »

Well, I don't think they were cranes. I took a look before doing the locks at this:

Does anybody know what these yellow bridge-things are? Maybe technical equipment for the doors of the chamber where the the ship is carried up and down?

N.F.S. Grundtvig
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Red*Star wrote:Well, I don't think they were cranes. I took a look before doing the locks at this:
Does anybody know what these yellow bridge-things are? Maybe technical equipment for the doors of the chamber where the the ship is carried up and down?
Of course, they could be yellow bridges, so that maintenance workers can cross from one side to the other while the locks are open...
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography

Return to “Graphics Development”