OpenGFX - Graphics Base Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - OpenGFX

Post by LordAzamath »

Zephyris.. Actually, don't include it to your infrastructure set.. Because it makes the set huuuge.. And we need tunnels and crossings too for extended set.. And latetr bridges too...

EDIT: And now I release the Fruit plantation.. I'm tired of tweaking it.. I hope it's good now.
fruit.png
fruit.png (103.16 KiB) Viewed 9312 times
OpenGFX_-_newIndustries_-_Fruit_Plantation_v0.1.grf
(2.34 KiB) Downloaded 1131 times
madis
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

*Grabs The Plantation* Great, looks awesome in the game! Thanks :)
..: Trond :.. because you deserve it! Image

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
and wiser people so full of doubts.
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Ok.. Actually, I made the rubber plantation the same way. This grf includes both, rubber and fruit plantations. Please note that you can't have both grfs at the same time. The grfID for the fruit planation only and for this is MA01
rubber.png
rubber.png (33.79 KiB) Viewed 7425 times
OpenGFX_-_newIndustries_Tropic_v0.1.grf
(3.34 KiB) Downloaded 1157 times
madis
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Was hoping you'd do that :lol: Sweet! And thanks again!

Now if only someone would do something about the forests indistry in Temperate climate... I always tought those forests where a bit boring ;) hint hint

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Trond wrote:Was hoping you'd do that :lol: Sweet! And thanks again!

Now if only someone would do something about the forests indistry in Temperate climate... I always tought those forests where a bit boring ;) hint hint
Gimme some time, could you :D
Actually, I'm buzy drawing tropical industries atm.. Bank to be specific. But I could use the pavement tile, if you have it Zpehyris.. So all pavements would look the same :)

madis
electricmonk
Engineer
Engineer

Post by electricmonk »

Is it just me or do those new Toyland buildings look more like they belong in Las Vegas than in 'Toyland'. The original Toyland buildings fit in a lot better.

Also, I think the new Toyland rail-tracks look too much like the rail-tracks of the other climates. Perhaps this could be remedied with larger sleepers (like the original Toyland gfx).

AE.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I can put together a generic concrete/pavement tile to match the roads...
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

hmm. I thought you had it already :D Like a template where you got the road pavements and stuff ...
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I have a standard way of generating the texture, just need to apply it to a whole tile...
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

electricmonk wrote:Is it just me or do those new Toyland buildings look more like they belong in Las Vegas than in 'Toyland'...
Las Vegas is a "Toyland" City for adults. :mrgreen:

* It is true most of my buildings have little contrast. Also I tried to make the orange one more dark on SW side but I though it was too much. I wanted to make it look a bit orange, to be different from more brownish original. Feel free to adjust it, or I may even do it myself when I have time.
* buttercup: Thanks for coding. Yet a small readjustment is needed to center the buildings. Most detectable is that the white building is out of the tile.
* Yep, I also though the white building can fit in other climates too.
NOTE: I want to remove very unrealistic Toyland features and bad scaling. Many don't play toyland and I want to make it more attractive. You may have noticed how I dealt with windows in orange building. So it logical that some buildings will fit in other climates too.

Nice work with roads and plantations. :]

regards
athanasios
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Ok.. a little teaser.. my WIP bank atm. Critiscizm is not welcome because it isn't even half way through wip status :P

madis
Attachments
bank.png
bank.png (1.42 KiB) Viewed 6935 times
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Nice looking fruit plantation and bank :D

Here are the revised freight cars. They've had wheels and couplers added, that's about it.

Passenger cars in the works as are the rest of theTropic/arctic diesels
Attachments
RevFrt-8bpp.png
RevFrt-8bpp.png (19.85 KiB) Viewed 6872 times
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

No problem, I can wait :)

Look forward to seeing the new bank, that'll be good!!
lordazamath wrote:
Trond wrote:Was hoping you'd do that :lol: Sweet! And thanks again!

Gimme some time, could you :D
Actually, I'm buzy drawing tropical industries atm.. Bank to be specific. But I could use the pavement tile, if you have it Zpehyris.. So all pavements would look the same :)

madis

Bertrand Russell

buttercup
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by buttercup »

athanasios wrote:* buttercup: Thanks for coding. Yet a small readjustment is needed to center the buildings. Most detectable is that the white building is out of the tile.
I don't know why I didn't notice the misalignment before - it should be fixed now.
athanasios wrote:NOTE: I want to remove very unrealistic Toyland features and bad scaling. Many don't play toyland and I want to make it more attractive. You may have noticed how I dealt with windows in orange building. So it logical that some buildings will fit in other climates too.
I actually quite like the wackiness of Toyland. If we make it too realistic then it just becomes another Temperate setting. I think all that needs to be done is to tone down the colours a little to make it easier on the eyes.

Edit: Link removed, see page 40.
Last edited by buttercup on 05 Feb 2008 00:08, edited 1 time in total.
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

As you said Zephyris, it's a good idea for coop testing :) So I wrote this: http://www.openttdcoop.org/wiki/Talk:GRF#New
I just gotta update that list as we release something big again :)

madis
electricmonk
Engineer
Engineer

Post by electricmonk »

buttercup wrote:
athanasios wrote:NOTE: I want to remove very unrealistic Toyland features and bad scaling. Many don't play toyland and I want to make it more attractive. You may have noticed how I dealt with windows in orange building. So it logical that some buildings will fit in other climates too.
I actually quite like the wackiness of Toyland. If we make it too realistic then it just becomes another Temperate setting. I think all that needs to be done is to tone down the colours a little to make it easier on the eyes.
I agree. The houses are meant to be toy-houses and not real houses. Dolls houses are meant to look like Dolls houses and not real houses. Making Toyland into nothing more than just another temperate climate would take away something from it's wackyness. The only reason I don't play toyland myself is because of the shortage of available locomotives (this could easily be remedied with a GRF containing extra Toyland locomotives), although I did play a Toyland game at least once. For suggestions on making Toyland more playable, see this thread.

Also, when discussing the new locos for the Arctic climate, someone was wondering whether they should make the default locos longer than 0.5 tiles. I think this is a bad idea because if you load in an existing savegame that used the old graphics, you'd end up with trains that were longer than a station-platform. Not sure if you can add a tender to the Arctic steam-loco and still make it exactly 0.5 tiles long.

While the default Arctic loco-set has a shortage of locos, the ones it does have are very well balanced. However, it does lack any electric locos (monorail and maglev don't count).

AE.
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Ok.. now is feedback apreciatted again :P It's still not ready (for example no dome), but it's definatly closer.
The main concern is getting flattyness out of that picture, w/o losing detail..
Attachments
bank.png
bank.png (3.43 KiB) Viewed 6402 times
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

:?: For which climate is this bank? Doesn't resemble with original temperate, neither tropic. ? Are we not going to use your 32bpp tropic converted to 8bpp?

Main issue is to fix the colors to fit with the climate and era it is intended for. 8)

Now, after feedback I darkened one side of building 4659 and tweaked a few pixels.
Attachments
4659.png
4659.png (1.05 KiB) Viewed 6248 times
4659.pcx
(4.07 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

athanasios: Personally I would still say to make that left hand wall darker (in Photoshop terms, by -10 brightness). In comparing the new one with the one I commented on before, I do prefer this one.
Ben
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I am still very low on time at the moment, thought people might like to see my river and canal coasts so far. It will be very easy to add the additional climates, which will be a major improvement over current canal graphics! I know the sloped canal tiles are unnecessary, but I made them in case town "paved" rivers were ever needed. I currently have no sloped water sprites, I was in touch with lepkka about that and he said he may be able to help, but nothing yet...

No progress on coding the trains/wagons yet either I'm afraid... I have no time! Sorry guys :S Its a bit of a lame update for me really!
Attachments
Canal+Rivers 32bpp.png
Canal+Rivers 32bpp.png (56.78 KiB) Viewed 5668 times

Return to “Graphics Development”