OpenGFX - Graphics Base Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - OpenGFX

Post by athanasios »

On the other hand sun is shinning from east so they get more light on their long sides.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

Justifying it with logic, and/or reality, doesn't always make for nice looking graphics. I have to agree with Jetthe's point. The track bits flow together better in his edit, and with tt's sharp corners in general I think that's key. The track is really nice by the way Zephyris.
Ben
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Feel free to tweak it, as you may have guessed I am very low on time atm...
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Haven't had much time myself lately, hopefully that'll change on my days off :P

One question I've got. What are we setting the default start date to? Most trucks and buses aren't available until the 1930's, should this be changed to allow for the earlier start dates in OTTD? I'd assume if another generation of vehicles was added before te current ones it would be part of the "advanced graphics set". I think there are some things that should be included if a graphics set were included with trunk. It wouldn't be compatible with old savegames but would be designed for new ones only.

At least one generation of trucks should be considerably smaller than the current ones, maybe some tweaking on specs and such. Plus the question is how early do we want to go if there's a set included with the game. Do we want horses too?

Some questions for the future. :D
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I think its time to add a wiki page on advanced/extended graphics features we want to add, i'll get started!
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Awesome idea :D Can't wait to see it.
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

It's already there. Zephyris created it.
Advanced Graphics Replacement Features
uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator
Transport Empire Moderator

Post by uzurpator »

Oh my - pays out to visit the ottd section from time to time...

Ok - I have got a question, do you want to make a direct 1:1 replacement or to enhance it in some ways? Also - are tropic locos claimed?

I ask because, well, I think (being an author mind you) that Tropic Refurbishment Set can be used as a source of loco sprites for the tropic open-gfx, and if required I can add maglevs or revised original locomotive sprites tenders. Would that be a welcome input?
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

The basic project is a 1:1 sprite replacement, although there is an assumption that there will be associated grfs to add enhanced features; complete shore line, snow in temperate, narrow gauge, extra locos, etc. in a matching style. Check the tracking table on the OpenTTD wiki for progress (link in first post), DanMacK has already done most of the tropic/arctic locos, but help in coding would be much appreciated! In fact any help would be much appreciated! :D
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

DanMacK:
I 'd like to have an earlier set of vehicles like the ones in George's LV4. Need not be exactly TFord for cargo but something similar. 1910 - 1920 would be a good starting point.
Horses? To my opinion yes, but in the advanced grf.

What about triremes as passenger & mail ships for BCE era? :mrgreen:

And a new building for toyland:
Attachments
4641.png
4641.png (1.33 KiB) Viewed 7814 times
4641.pcx
(2.85 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

I'm not an experienced artist, but I wanted to contribute to this project anyways, so I thought a bit about toyland trees. In my opinion, they could use a little overhaul - maybe change them from these rainbow-colored fancy shapes into more discreet looking, maybe a little bizarre plants.

I made a tree as an example and replaced the second toyland tree in trg1r.grf for testing - this is the outcome.

If you like it you may use it, or tweak it first, modify it, whatever ;)

What do you think of it? Or should the toyland trees stay as colorful as they are?
Attachments
toyland tree #2 replacement sprites
toyland tree #2 replacement sprites
toyland_tree_2.png (1.6 KiB) Viewed 7667 times
screenshot
screenshot
toyland tree 2 screenshot.png (67.72 KiB) Viewed 7681 times
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I'm glad to see toyland is getting quite a lot of attention!

Re: athanasios
Another nice job - I like the cartoony feel, it matches well with the other buildings you have done too.

Re: Roujin
I like it, it keeps the feel of toyland without breaking peoples eyes! I would suggest you alter the colour of the stem slightly so it stands out a little bit more, maybe slightly lighter. I believe the toyland trees use recolouring to add variation which I think we should keep, otherwise toyland trees will be very monotonous. Could you make sure you use the colours from the trees you are replacing for the ring so it gets recoloured?

Re: buttercup
Are you still around to do some more coding, ie. code athanasios' building :)

*edit* And a gentle reminder, please update the wiki/tracking table as you make more graphics...
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

Zephyris wrote:Re: Roujin
I like it, it keeps the feel of toyland without breaking peoples eyes! I would suggest you alter the colour of the stem slightly so it stands out a little bit more, maybe slightly lighter.
Okay
I believe the toyland trees use recolouring to add variation which I think we should keep, otherwise toyland trees will be very monotonous. Could you make sure you use the colours from the trees you are replacing for the ring so it gets recoloured?
hmm, the other landscapes' trees are varying enough without use of cc-recoloring, aren't they? I thought of actually removing the cc from trees, making them more like trees in the other landscapes (brown stem, green leaves/needles), only bizarre in their shape, not their colors.

What do the others think about this topic?
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
thgergo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by thgergo »

I have coded DanMacK`s arctic Locos, but i have encountered some problems with it:
The Kelling 3100, and the MJS 1000. Those two Locos have 4 views in original TTD, so if I want to add the other full 8 sprites, ill have to use more than an action A spriteswap... Also, supporting the Turner turbo passanger, and mail overrides needs more than replacing the default sprites. So here is my question, should I make them work with more advanced newgrf coding, or the sprites should be redesigned?
Lastly shall I update the "newVehicles - Rail v0.2" grf with DanMacK`s locos, or make a seperate grf file?
Attachments
arcticlocos.PNG
arcticlocos.PNG (31.75 KiB) Viewed 7486 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Very nice work!

For now preferably code both the sprite replacement (actionA) AND "enhanced replacement" (action1, 2 and 3). Add the basic replacement to the newVehicles - Rail GRF, and create a newVehicles enhanced - Rail GRF for the enhanced replacement. This way both the basic replacement and extended features are complete and coded ready for moving to wherever their final graphics replacement newGRFs/GRFs need them.

I'm not quite happy with your \ and _ offsets, it looks like they need to be 1 px higher to me, not sure how it compares to the old graphics though, some of them had very interesting alignments!

*edit* would you mind updating the carriages too? the new graphics should just need pasting over the old ones (except the mail and passenger)...

*edit again* and DanMacK, would you mind tweaking the troublesome graphics to be symmetric, or provide a version which is symmetric, whilst the enhanced replacement can use the asymmetric...
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Sure. I could probably do up some double-ended things not really resembling prototype :D Leave me to it and I may just do something looking similar to the originals.
Eddie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Eddie »

Kudos to you guys. You just never stop.
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

thgergo wrote:I have coded DanMacK`s arctic Locos, but i have encountered some problems with it:
The Kelling 3100, and the MJS 1000. Those two Locos have 4 views in original TTD, so if I want to add the other full 8 sprites, ill have to use more than an action A spriteswap... Also, supporting the Turner turbo passanger, and mail overrides needs more than replacing the default sprites. So here is my question, should I make them work with more advanced newgrf coding, or the sprites should be redesigned?
Lastly shall I update the "newVehicles - Rail v0.2" grf with DanMacK`s locos, or make a seperate grf file?

If u want, just send me the .nfo (s) and .pcx'es, and ill add them to what i already have made... or i can send u what i have made...
Member of the
ImageImage
buttercup
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by buttercup »

Zephyris wrote:Re: buttercup
Are you still around to do some more coding, ie. code athanasios' building :)
Yep:
If there are any other small(ish) jobs that need coding, I have quite a lot of free time to do so. It seems like it will mostly be Action A but I am quite happy to have a go at slightly more complicated Actions if need be (I had started DanMacK's trains with Actions 0/1/2/3 for example).

I just don't want it to look like I'm butting in on someone else's project (since it seems like quite a lot of people want to contribute to this one).

Edit: Page 70 now has the latest version
Last edited by buttercup on 28 May 2008 00:52, edited 1 time in total.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Buttercup, if you want a real challenge you can try and code my wip river sprites... I have now idea how the images I have done correspond to the sprites in the grf, it would be a lot of chopping and offsetting!

Return to “Graphics Development”