OpenGFX - Graphics Base Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - OpenGFX

Post by LordAzamath »

Well, from the point I see it, new trains will go to + version.. The so called "official" pack, will have only action7/A and maybe 10 etc.
For +pack, I would suggest action0/1/2/3 etc.. full newGRF features to be used. that's why it's +pack. Just ordinary newgrf, which doesn't have to be backward compatible. but Simple actions are always compatible
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Do you want to start a thread designing the "extended generic vehicles"? I think it would be good to keep it separate from this thread (straight graphics replacement)... And as lord azamath says, almost anything could be done...
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Trond wrote:Talking abot that... Did anyone agree on how the sets should be? Just a pure GFX replacement with no stats altered, or one with new stats? My preference is the first one... I think we shall stay true to that part of the game (for now?) and just replace the graphics with better gfx (and for the question of copyrights)
I think there's a pretty decent argument that the original statistics are susceptible to copyright issues too.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Timitry
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timitry »

Zephyris wrote:Do you want to start a thread designing the "extended generic vehicles"? I think it would be good to keep it separate from this thread (straight graphics replacement)... And as lord azamath says, almost anything could be done...
I think that would be a good idea... Someone do it (who is active and will keep it up to date), maybe one for trains only, so that it might be easier to discuss...
And to the stats and quantity of the locos:
The first loco should be introduced about the year the first real trains were driving in reality too. If the majority of the trains then had a maximum speed of let's say 40 km/h, our first train should maybe be somewhat close to that. I'm not saying to use perfect realism, just maybe to stick a bit to reality... And, what i think is very important, that new introduced locos are really an improvement to the older ones. In some trainsets, it just happens that a new loco is introduced which is slower and has less hp than an older one you are using - that should not be, all the locos should be usable and should have a right to exist.

Another question i have... As there might be a discussion whether to have maximum speeds for waggons... Is there any way to code wagons so that you don't have to replace them, but that their maximum speed from year 1850-1900 is 50 km/h, then from 1900 to 1950 automatically changes to 100 km/h and from 1950+ to 150 km/h (as an example)? I really think speed limits for waggons are cool (and optional due to a patch option!), as long as you don't have to replace the waggons, as you can't do that automatically and it takes a lot of time to do that manually.
Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

DaleStan wrote:
Trond wrote:Talking abot that... Did anyone agree on how the sets should be? Just a pure GFX replacement with no stats altered, or one with new stats? My preference is the first one... I think we shall stay true to that part of the game (for now?) and just replace the graphics with better gfx (and for the question of copyrights)
I think there's a pretty decent argument that the original statistics are susceptible to copyright issues too.
These stats are not in original TTDX grfs so this issue is beyond the scope of this project (IMHO).
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

I think we should not make a separate thread for + GFX as it is just an extension of OpenGFX, not something different.
Keeping alive many many threads is problematic.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

One small helpful thing - can LA update the 2nd post in the thread to show when an earlier version of the grf has been superceded/obsoleted. Its easy to miss a later update. Just a quick (obs) or (old), or something on the ones that have more recent replacements. Thanks.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
AntBUK
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by AntBUK »

richk67 wrote:One small helpful thing - can LA update the 2nd post in the thread to show when an earlier version of the grf has been superceded/obsoleted. Its easy to miss a later update. Just a quick (obs) or (old), or something on the ones that have more recent replacements. Thanks.
Or maybe keep an OpenTTDCoop style GFX pack on the second post?
Rasing Awareness: Aspergers Syndrome 1 (NAS UK)2 (BBC)3 (YaleDDC)

Something is driving you insane... It is me.
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

richk67 wrote:One small helpful thing - can LA update the 2nd post in the thread to show when an earlier version of the grf has been superceded/obsoleted. Its easy to miss a later update. Just a quick (obs) or (old), or something on the ones that have more recent replacements. Thanks.
Well.. First thing is that I updated it.. 9 pages :D
Now, I'm thinking of something like that

OpenGFX Landscape -

OpenGFX Infrastructure -

OpenGFX GUI -

OpenGFX Fonts -

OpenGFX Trains -

OpenGFX Road Vehicles -

OpenGFX Ships -

OpenGFX Planes -

OpenGFX Eyecandy -
OpenGFX misc. - corrected

But I would like to get these links too, but I don't want to search myself :D
So help would be appreciated :) I think it'll be in first post eventually
Last edited by LordAzamath on 17 Feb 2008 10:29, edited 1 time in total.
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

Not "misc." but "Eyecandy". That's how it's called now.
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Lord: page 44 cargoicons.grf is labeled as buttercup, but it isnt :)

and I dont understand how the settings for the vehicles can be copyright tbh... Names, speed, introduction date etc? And if they are, they should probably NOT be changed by this gfx project I think... atleast not untill the gfx is included in trunk I guess... Not very sure about this myself, that was why I was asking... I would love to get a new look on my trains, while keeping the good old stats and all that changes is the looks...
..: Trond :.. because you deserve it! Image

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
and wiser people so full of doubts.
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Trond wrote:Lord: page 44 cargoicons.grf is labeled as buttercup, but it isnt :)

and I dont understand how the settings for the vehicles can be copyright tbh... Names, speed, introduction date etc? And if they are, they should probably NOT be changed by this gfx project I think... atleast not untill the gfx is included in trunk I guess... Not very sure about this myself, that was why I was asking... I would love to get a new look on my trains, while keeping the good old stats and all that changes is the looks...
If needed, names can be difined by code, because currently they are hard-coded. You just can change them.
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - Revived

Post by LordAzamath »

Hmm.. I thought of this yesterday and tried to put some sprites together. I failed. So I now asked Thgergo about using sprites on the 'Cantilever Bidge Renewal Set' and
Total Bridge Renewal Set. Let's see what he tells us :)
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

OpenGFX Terrain - v0.4

OpenGFX Landscape - v0.2

OpenGFX Infrastructure - v0.3

OpenGFX GUI -

OpenGFX Fonts - v0.1

OpenGFX Trains - v0.3

OpenGFX Road Vehicles - v0.1

OpenGFX Ships -

OpenGFX Planes -

OpenGFX Eyecandy - v0.1
With versions. Does it need links?
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Soeb wrote: With versions. Does it need links?
Preferably yes.. But I'm thinking of adding links to posts not to direct download... Thanks for the list anyway :D I think Zephyris should update some of these...
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I really plan to... I should have time tomorrow for widespread updates and conglomeration of the grf sets!
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

So OK. Now with links. I think I'll updated my eyecandy with new buoy.
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Buoy should be with infrastructure I think. So it'll be on zephyris.
And for further information, Soeb, Zephyris, you can also edit first two posts ;)
I have just had a complete lack of free time recently and I foresee it'll be again in near future. So don't think I'll leave or something, when I don't post anything :)
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

So Zephyris:
- update newIndustries with forest, rubber and fruit plantation,
- update newInfrastructure with signals and buoy,
- update newTerrain with farm fences and rivers,
- update newVehicles - Rail with TGV.

I think thats all for now. I hope you have enough time for that.
uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator
Transport Empire Moderator

Post by uzurpator »

There are also new replacements for tropical only, so to speak.
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.

Return to “Graphics Development”