Interest rates and Wallclock speed

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Queervidual
Engineer
Engineer

Interest rates and Wallclock speed

Post by Queervidual »

Afternoon fellow Transporters,

I'm having a blast with 14.0. Having a 200 year scenario based on The Netherlands as my go-to epic sandbox, I really liked the implementation of both the new pathfinder for ships and the wallclock time.
As a first playthrough I'm trying an hour-a-year setting. So far some 10 hours in, approaching 1860....

Yet one thing I start noticing now. While economic activity is doing fine, I'm currently paying over 500k interest on my loan. Each PERIOD, rather then each year.
This might be an unintended escape or a deliberate design for balance's sake. However in this situation it's putting quite the strain on my early game (which is intentionally liberal in loans since the average turnaround is quite low).

Question: can I tune this towards a lower percentage (then my current effective 10% per annum)? And how?
Attachments
Holland 14.0.sav
(5.01 MiB) Downloaded 14 times
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Interest rates and Wallclock speed

Post by jfs »

The interest rate is supposed to be per-period, yes. Anything else would massively upset the balance of the game. The vehicles are moving at the same speed as normally (same distance traveled per number of game ticks), cargo is produced at the same speed (although I see you turned it down to 50% rate), and so on.
Basically, you have set the maximum loan to 250 M GBP, and your current loan is 6.62 M GBP, so of course your interest is also 2% of that per period.

Keep in mind that the function of wallclock mode is not to slow down the game, it is to slow down technological progress alone. That's why you don't see any finances per year anywhere, only per period.
Queervidual
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Interest rates and Wallclock speed

Post by Queervidual »

jfs wrote: 27 Apr 2024 12:18 The interest rate is supposed to be per-period, yes. Anything else would massively upset the balance of the game. The vehicles are moving at the same speed as normally (same distance traveled per number of game ticks), cargo is produced at the same speed (although I see you turned it down to 50% rate), and so on.
Basically, you have set the maximum loan to 250 M GBP, and your current loan is 6.62 M GBP, so of course your interest is also 2% of that per period.

Keep in mind that the function of wallclock mode is not to slow down the game, it is to slow down technological progress alone. That's why you don't see any finances per year anywhere, only per period.
Thank you for your answer. I hadn't realized in effect the vehicles speed is 5x what it was. (Which sure helps to scale things a little).
I chose to choke off the cargo production because it scales better with especially the first years.
Maybe it's just that the current pace highlights an earlier flaw in my design: that you cannot be quite profitable with the earliest Dutch engines.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”