Japan Set Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Here's a question... can elrails be applied to Cornelius' narrow gauge rails? That way you can use the first 2 slots for NG track, and keep the Shinkansen on standard gauge?

Just a thought to make things look more realistic too.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I have no objection to using different-looking track graphics for the normal trains, but it might be a pain to arrange.

Concerning the speed gaps, well, what is real life in Japan? Are we missing a class of mid-speed trains, or do we have the wrong stats and we really should let some of the trains go faster? Or, is there really such a gap in Japan, and they don't find it a problem?
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

I can tell you that a regular service EMU here reaches 110 km/h between stations in an urban zone. I doubt that modern trains should be slower than that.
Also, despite we have to keep in mind the real stats, my point is that it will be frustrating and boring if you can't get faster trains after 100 years (after playing other sets, Japan set seemed too slow for me)
again, not that I want supersonic speeds, but at least to have the modern locomotives reach 135 km/h (if that's the top speed)

I don't know exact data, if I got any spare time I'll try to get some information.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I don't remember being frustrated at slow speeds, but for sure some stats research would be fine. Maybe we do need to raise the speeds. As I recall, though, one of the reasons for buildings the Shinkansen network, was that the existing narrow-gauge rail was not at all well suited to high speeds. Now they have tilting trains that do somewhat better, but still not that great.
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

A couple of bugs:

1. Apparently the castles lost their GRF label - they say "GRF entry not found" instead of "Shiro." Plus they still give news reports like coal mines, and are displayed in that color on the map. Patchman says this behavior can be programmed - you can set a map color, and tell the game they aren't really coal mines, dunno how.

2. The train maintenance depot is misaligned in the direction with the door to the lower left.

3. The Sunrise Express is available in 1958, which I think is wrong.

4. The green-trimmed bank building uses the wrong sprite - it seems to have two right sides. Also, it thinks it's a printing plant. I think this is maybe not a GRF problem but a Patch conflict between moreindustries and newindustries. Testing needed? It should degrade gracefully, though, as a lot of people still use moreindustries.

Also, other problems that maybe aren't bugs, perhaps they are artifacts of upgrading the test GRF in a running game:

1. Some of the town buildings are original TTD, they weren't before.

2. The towns are still way too large in population too early - it's not possible to carry away all the passengers.
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

I have found some Sunrise Express technical data:

weight= 54t
power 1760 KW
max speed 130 km/h
year 1998
price 5,875,000Yen (for the game)
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

krtaylor wrote:I think this is maybe not a GRF problem but a Patch conflict between moreindustries and newindustries.
If it is, you're using an old patch. newindustries automatically disables moreindustries, as of one of the a55vcsen.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
prissi
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by prissi »

The fastest regular EMU are going 135km/h in Japan. The world record for narrow gauge high speed until 1978 was also japanese in the kodama travelled 165 km/h in 1956. But then there was the decision to have the shinkansen and everything further stopped. Moreover, since the Express and the normal trains run on the same trucks (and using the same cars anyway) the maximum speed is very limited. (The highest speed of a regular narrow gauge line is 160 in Australia of a Hitachi built train. http://www.hitachi-rail.com/about_us/de ... t_dlv.html.)

Long distance lines with sleeper trains are run with cars which would allow up to 160km/h (at least from the brakes). However, since the electricity is 800-2000 V constant current, the engine power is usually week and the maximum speed limit on the hilly curving lines is also very often below 100. Not to mention that a good part of these overnight trains are not even on electrified track.

Long distance freight is container running overnight, thus the freight EMU might run also 135km/h and it makes sense. Usually, the maximum speed is like in other countries below 100km/h (as is germany, freight is less than 80km/h, limited by the brakes.) Because TTD cars seemingly do not enforce a speed limit, you can go too fast with the right (rather wrong) engine in normal games. Thus normal games are off and make hauling freight very easy.

(Since this is the japanese set, also some ships for mass transport would be rather a good addition.)
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

DaleStan wrote:
krtaylor wrote:I think this is maybe not a GRF problem but a Patch conflict between moreindustries and newindustries.
If it is, you're using an old patch. newindustries automatically disables moreindustries, as of one of the a55vcsen.
Then it must be a GRF problem, because I am using a58.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Another bug report:

1. The Odakyu Romance is supposed to be an EMU, but it works like a (very weak) locomotive. Also, you're supposed to get a matching back-end control cab at the tail of the train, like with the other EMUs.

2. There's no second-generation flatcar, so steel in particular is stuck with slow transport through the whole game. Why is this? Maybe we need a faster, larger flatcar added.

3. The Shiki car goes 93mph. That seems a bit fast.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Is there any way someone can obtain a sound file recording of a Japanese railroad crossing signal? Since we can add new and different sounds, it would be nice to have at least the most distinctive.

If we have a Shinkansen sound to replace the maglev "whoosh," that would be nice too, but it's not required.

Do Japanese steam trains have a distinctive whistle? I've never seen one operating so I don't know.

Maybe we could have the arrivals tones from a typical Japanese station, to replace the "cha-ching" of money, or the departure tones to replace the starting whistle.
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

krtaylor wrote:Maybe we could have the arrivals tones from a typical Japanese station, to replace the "cha-ching" of money, or the departure tones to replace the starting whistle.
that would become really really really annoying REALLY fast
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

What? I must be missing something, because it seems to me like you're saying that changing the current sounds would get annoying.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

No, he means that it is better to have train sounds than station sounds.

I agree there with Korenn; we may change the train or crossings sounds; but replace the train sounds with accurate real life trains sounds. For example, the "cha-ching" of the money is not only produced by trains, so it would sound odd...
But I agree with krtaylor that the maglev/monorail sounds are odd; and corssings sounds are annoying and must be changed.
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

DaleStan wrote:What? I must be missing something, because it seems to me like you're saying that changing the current sounds would get annoying.
You're missing the fact that in japan, the stations have tunes that announce that a train is arriving, which consists of only a few notes. Imagine the same bit of tune being played dozens of times a minute, constantly ;)
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

Szappy, Posted: Thu [b]Sep 01[/b], 2005 10:55 pm wrote:OK Sanchimaru, thanks for the list.
That's probably the last major thing that was missing for finishing the set proper. I think a test release could be out soon.
:O
Aerond
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Aerond »

Korenn wrote:
DaleStan wrote:What? I must be missing something, because it seems to me like you're saying that changing the current sounds would get annoying.
You're missing the fact that in japan, the stations have tunes that announce that a train is arriving, which consists of only a few notes. Imagine the same bit of tune being played dozens of times a minute, constantly ;)
THAT´D BE AMAZING!!!
Szappy
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Szappy »

Sanchimaru wrote: :O
One japan set test version coming up, as ordered :P
Attachments
jpset_test.rar
(299.96 KiB) Downloaded 354 times
Image please use email instead of PM
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

thanks!
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

And I just received it the minute before I leave on a long trip. Just enough time to put it on my flash-memory and play with it en route... 8) Thanks!

Return to “Graphics Development”