No
41%

Total votes: 51

Birdey
Engineer
Engineer

Video Tutorials For Open TTD

Post by Birdey »

I have spent hours searching this site and the other sites that have info and things about TTD & OTTD and found nothing, i am going to try and create video tutorials for OTTD. I know that we cannot create tutorials with the OTTD itself.. so please tell me some things i can put in these tutorials thanks :)
Hopefully it will help those people that havent played TTD b4 and maybe help improve people that have played TTD before but never got the idea of it

Thanks for any Suggestions

Birdey
For every addition of knowledge u aquire, you forget something that you knew before
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Video-recording could be done with FRAPS. However, it would drain poor megabytes. I think screenshots or in-game demo would be much better. Voted "yes".
Birdey
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Birdey »

I was thinking about a in-game tutorial but after searching the forums, found out the you cant as the new programing wont allow it and also they wont put it in because they are too busy with the new map array, also i have tried to use other peoples tutorials but with different things, eg java but the screenshots dont seem to show to viewer exacty what to do, i also have a file server so am not too worried about the mbs, thanks for the interest...

Birdey
For every addition of knowledge u aquire, you forget something that you knew before
Pilatus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pilatus »

If someone would put the effort in to making a video/demo tutorial, put it ingame.
If no end are at hand try your feet...
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

If someone wants to do a video-tutorial, let him/her do that. This is after all a community project. However it might not be included in the official bundle just becuse somebody does them..

I know many people do not have >=10Mbit yet. But as long as somebody are willing to host a few of them it should not be a big problem. (EDIT: offcores it will be a problem for them on slow connectinos to download them, but as long as they are hosted, a few days of download should get them down at even their computers.)

Also if you dont want to make pure video records, there are programs that can create flash-records that only store what hapens, not every frame. (None of them that I have tried work on Linux.)

If we hapen to sit here with loads of nice movies.. somewone surely will write a patch to display the videos in game. But until then its kinda meaningless to write that patch.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Birdey
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Birdey »

Thanks for the advice, i wasn't expeciting them to be published with the bundle as the bundle would be almost impossiable to download, i will look in to the flash records and see if it will help me, again thanks for the advise...

Birdey
Pilatus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pilatus »

zuu wrote:However it might not be included in the official bundle just becuse somebody does them..
Thanks for the info, it is not in the least bit not obvious. [a little sarcasm don't
hurt no one]

Personaly I would like it if it were more like a script you load into ottd (?) that
simply plays the game and some messages to the player. And I personally
would not recomand anyone to do a video tutorial in any media format for
ottd.
bobingabout
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by bobingabout »

making the game do a demo is possable, it just currently doesn't work because too many things have changed since the demo was implemented (In TTD DOS) with a constatly changing game like OTTD, tutorials would be pretty hard to do to keep working...
JPG SUX!!! USE PNG!!!
There are times when JPG is useful, TTD screenshots is not one of them. Please use PNG instead.

[/url]
Pilatus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pilatus »

If a script said: "build rail on X drag to Y place station etc etc.." Would it
break any time someone edited the code?

I am no programmer so maybe it is impossible. But wasting my time on
making an avi that would be like 28 MB big does not sound too tempting.
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

That says more about the AVI format than anything else. Flash is probably going to be the best format to use for a stand alone demo.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
Pilatus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pilatus »

Brianetta wrote:That says more about the AVI format than anything else. Flash is probably going to be the best format to use for a stand alone demo.
Yes flash, is good. In a way..

In what way would you go to do a tutorial in flash then?
Is it possible to make it ridiculous small as say an all vector swf?
Mojo'D
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mojo'D »

Pilatus wrote:If a script said: "build rail on X drag to Y place station etc etc.." Would it
break any time someone edited the code?

I am no programmer so maybe it is impossible. But wasting my time on
making an avi that would be like 28 MB big does not sound too tempting.
Ill look into doing an interactive tutorail like that for each of the different aspects of OpenTTD. Cant be too hard to program... If i knew more about C (Im proficient with Qbasic so it wont be hard :))

Ive tried recording a few clips that play just like the tutorial demos in TTD. Its just not possible to do a videoclip, even a 1 minute presignal clip takes up 8MB for a reasonable resolution or 1.5MB for the Highest compression. While its 1.5MB its impossible to see whats happening.
Birdey
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Birdey »

I have also tried video but the size of them is too large to download, or even upload... i have also tried flash, but it seems too choppy for my liking, also the sizes of them get tooo big also, so i am also learning c++ thorugh tutorials and hopefully to learn it before the new 5.0.1 version..

Birdey
Pilatus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pilatus »

I wish you good luck! I really hope that you can manage it (both).
osai
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by osai »

Birdey wrote:..., so i am also learning c++ thorugh tutorials and hopefully to learn it before the new 5.0.1 version..

Birdey
Hopefully you will, we have still 0.4.1 until 5.0.1 its a long way... will there ever be a 5th version?? 8)
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

0.4.5 is next
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

we talked about this more than once and it should be added, but nobody have made it yet. If I remember correctly, the idea is to make a savegame (good way to ensure that it's the same map each time) and then save each command executed. This way the game will be the same each time and can be played as a video. I think somebody managed to get it to save each command, but I'm not sure

the next step would then be to save UI data with the commands. This might be done by saving input like commands. Commands like click left mouse button, release left mouse button, move mouse x,y.....

If those two functions are implemented, it should be possible to start to make tutorials, that are small enough to add to releases

another nice touch would be to add the option to add signs to tell what is going on

Needless to say, I don't think I would actually use a tutorial myself :wink:
Sacro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sacro »

Would it be possible to do it in C, hijacking the mouse input functions, not sure that it'd be easy though.
We Am De Best

Host of ThroughTheTube site
egladil
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by egladil »

Yes, it would be possible. And not to hard either. The problem would be to make the code look nice. And to handle different resolutions. Or maybe thats not to hard? Now I have to check this out :)
Sacro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sacro »

dont use resolutions, use percentages instead, should handle resizing ok
We Am De Best

Host of ThroughTheTube site

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”