Tropic Station Set [WIP]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

What variants of copper ore unloading station do you like?

Poll ended at 14 Aug 2007 12:11

23%
27%
16%
19%
15%

Total votes: 62

MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Aegir, I won't code, I hope someone will help (make) me a nfo file :)
lifeblood wrote:Feel free to use anything/everything from the Canadian Stations Set. Just remember to give credit where credit is due. :wink:
The Inspiration? Thanks :wink:

I drew some more station parts: A wooden building (what do you think on the windows on the roof?), a silo (one of the silos on the platform will have an overtrain component to drop things onto wagons, what do you think on that?), and a crane.

Also, I changed to way ramps are handled. But I'd be grateful on your support, as the wooden ramps are pain for me. I'd like you to point me what's wrong in a platform>ramp>ground transition. There isn't a big contrast between a platform/ground and a ramp, could you please give me some tips? I've attached my drawing of my ramp imagination

More to come: barrels and crates.
A stone station is already in my mind, but I'd like to finalize the wooden station. The stone station will come in two different shape and colour versions for both desert and rainforest. Hopefully, stone will be much easier to draw and the progress will be quicker.
Attachments
ts_wooden4.png
ts_wooden4.png (4.94 KiB) Viewed 5275 times
ramps_concept.png
ramps_concept.png (16.13 KiB) Viewed 5271 times
graphics_master
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by graphics_master »

May I ask. What pallette are you using?
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

looks like the full ttd pallette, not marked to show where ttd special colours are...

same as i use
Toyland isn't a climate, it's a mistake.
Everyone has a photographic memory - Some just don't have film
No matter how hard life gets, remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope it's not a train.
graphics_master
Tycoon
Tycoon

I mean is it Windows or Dos
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

in which case you need to wait for him...

what difference does that make, anyway? win/dos?
No matter how hard life gets, remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope it's not a train.
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

graphics_master wrote:I mean is it Windows or Dos
I'm sorry but I'm not sure. Hopefully, someone wise will come here soon and give the answer :)
graphics_master
Tycoon
Tycoon

I am thinking of making a toyalnd station set. I just need to find a windows palettte.
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

t-t-t-t-t-oyland...?? are you NUTS?

thats a GREAT IDEA!! :P :P
go for it!
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

MeusH wrote:
graphics_master wrote:I mean is it Windows or Dos
I'm sorry but I'm not sure. Hopefully, someone wise will come here soon and give the answer :)
Looks like the windows pallette, AFAICT.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

I doesn't matter if its the windows or DOS palette, graphics master.
The sprites can be convertted to the other palette anyway when compiling a grf. :)

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
graphics_master
Tycoon
Tycoon

Ok. The station looks sweet. I hope you make more.
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Wooden waypoint is going to be finished pretty soon.

Is there anything else a coder may require? Like distance from (the left edge of my sprite) to (the leftmost pixel of a tile)? Same with the top edge?
Or a preview image would be better?
Attachments
ts_waypoint_wooden2.png
ts_waypoint_wooden2.png (2.68 KiB) Viewed 5177 times
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Meush: You could just combine the ground sprite with the crossing for the waypoints.
Newstations allows a station to use it's own ground sprites.
I believe thats how MB's and Born_Acorns waypoints work too.

Hope that helps,
~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

how about a real "middle of nowhere" station?

you know, like just a wooden platform or something...
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Lakie wrote:Meush: You could just combine the ground sprite with the crossing for the waypoints.
Newstations allows a station to use it's own ground sprites.
I believe thats how MB's and Born_Acorns waypoints work too.

Hope that helps,
~ Lakie
Lakie, I think my crossing can be overlayed over the normal rail tile, which will result in compatibility with alternate rail/ground sprites, I think. But thanks for that info, maybye I'll use this feature one day.

You reminded me about monorail and maglev, that can't have such a crossing.. :wink: See attachement

M4rek, it will be up to player: You build a station that consists of a wooden hut and a platform. No benches, no overpasses, no silo of any kind.
Stone stations will be ready, soon, which may be used as "centre of nowhere", too.
Later, I'll do a nice looking city station, inspired by white colour Taj Mahal.
Attachments
ts_waypoint_wooden3.png
ts_waypoint_wooden3.png (3.02 KiB) Viewed 5118 times
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

More features:
A palm tree for a not-so-nowhere stations
The water tower to dispense water for a steamers
A crane to move things around
A crate and a barrel
Better looking ramp
I'm also working on a grain dispenser you can see in the bottom-right part of the image.

I'm planning this station to be used for passenger, mail, diamond, goods unload, food unload and water unload. What do you think on that?
Other kinds of cargo may be (un)loaded at a separate, cargo-specific stations.

Please give me advices on the ramp, station layount, graphics look in general, because I'll start working on a stone stations as soon as wooden station gets finished.
I think all the wood blends together so that some details are lost, but I hope either you'll help me with this, or players will get un-confused when they see the same details on a stations made of stone.
Attachments
ts_wooden5.png
ts_wooden5.png (5.58 KiB) Viewed 5066 times
Preview in rainforest landscape
Preview in rainforest landscape
ts_wooden5_tr.png (4.73 KiB) Viewed 5057 times
Preview in desert landscape
Preview in desert landscape
ts_wooden5_de.png (4.89 KiB) Viewed 5058 times
BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobDendry »

Those look very nice. Keep up the excellent work!
Formerly known as Lachie
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

Looks good, but perhaps there needs to be a bit more colour variation. Some paint on a structure, maybe...
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

peter1138 wrote:Looks good, but perhaps there needs to be a bit more colour variation. Some paint on a structure, maybe...
maybe peeling paint for the in the middle of no where stations.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Now the water tower and crane are all grey, and the cargo crates and barrels are grey, because bluish looked too hi-tech (certainly good for modern stations)

What do you think on the modifications?
And how about ramps? Is the shading correct? Does it look like on my drawing (from top of the page)?
Attachments
ts_wooden6_tr.png
ts_wooden6_tr.png (4.75 KiB) Viewed 4972 times
ts_wooden6_de.png
ts_wooden6_de.png (4.9 KiB) Viewed 4974 times
ts_wooden6.png
ts_wooden6.png (6.11 KiB) Viewed 4974 times

Return to “Graphics Development”