Sprite Limit?

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

SuperSi
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SuperSi »

On the subject of a sprite limit, I'll point out something I noticed when I installed the new miniIN. Before using this I was using many different GRFs, mostly for stations and such, and then I installed a newer version and the limit seems to be smaller.

Also, 4LV doesn't seem to work on my OpenTTD, it just seems to come up with the normal trucks, and a few from toyland.
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

MiniIN has a few extra dedicated graphics files that use up another 4-500 sprites. Mostly this is for snow-in-temperate, where you get the snow on the green slopes. Copy/paste adds another few sprites.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
BlasterTransport
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BlasterTransport »

darn it!!! 4lv doesn't work with ussset! I have to disable almost every grf in my cfg!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Attachments
openttd.cfg
(7.49 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
purely OpenTTD
SuperSi
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SuperSi »

richk67 wrote:MiniIN has a few extra dedicated graphics files that use up another 4-500 sprites. Mostly this is for snow-in-temperate, where you get the snow on the green slopes. Copy/paste adds another few sprites.
Maybe I didn't post it correctly, sorry.

I was using an older MiniIN, I can't remember which one though.
LSky
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by LSky »

peter1138 wrote:Each of those sets works individually and in combination with the others, but not all at the same time. This is because of (da da da) the sprite limit.
So is there a way to fix this problem then?
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

Not until the sprite limit gets increased. And that isn't a five minute job, else it would be done already.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
mart3p
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mart3p »

SuperSi wrote:
richk67 wrote:MiniIN has a few extra dedicated graphics files that use up another 4-500 sprites. Mostly this is for snow-in-temperate, where you get the snow on the green slopes. Copy/paste adds another few sprites.
Maybe I didn't post it correctly, sorry.

I was using an older MiniIN, I can't remember which one though.
It depends on which older MiniIN you were using. Drive-through Road Stops uses a few more sprites. Diagonal Level Crossings uses up some more.
SuperSi
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SuperSi »

Yeah, it's odd. It had diagonal stops and drive-through stops.
BlasterTransport
Engineer
Engineer

but i thought all you had to do to increase limit was to uncompile, make a tinny change, recompile and then you done--see my attcahment
EDIT: What's the difference between this error message and the first one?
Attachments
whats the NUM SPRITES VALUE?
whats the NUM SPRITES VALUE?
OTTD sprite error2.JPG (20.22 KiB) Viewed 3854 times
purely OpenTTD
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

peter1138 wrote:And [increasing the sprite limit] isn't a five minute job, else it would be done already.
Those OpenTTD developers usually know what they're talking about.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
BlasterTransport
Engineer
Engineer

DaleStan wrote:
peter1138 wrote:And [increasing the sprite limit] isn't a five minute job, else it would be done already.
Those OpenTTD developers usually know what they're talking about.
:?: :?: :?: :?: Could you please rephrase you post? Are you talking to me? If so, I was just taliking about the error message and what it ment, not questioning about the sprite limit
purely OpenTTD
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

:shock:
BlasterTransport wrote:but i thought all you had to do to increase limit was to uncompile, make a tiny change, recompile and then you're done
Is there really anything more I can say here?
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
BlasterTransport
Engineer
Engineer

Well im off to sleep, (I live in the US)
purely OpenTTD
gkirilov
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by gkirilov »

BlasterTransport wrote:but i thought all you had to do to increase limit was to uncompile, make a tinny change, recompile and then you done--see my attcahment
EDIT: What's the difference between this error message and the first one?
The difference is that this error is probably from an old version of OTTD.
OTTDCoop NewGRF Pack|Different sets of GRFs for TTDPatch (some of them work in OTTD) - 1|- 2|GRF sets for OTTD|OTTD nightly
I hooked up my accelerator to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you. Spoilers and bodykits are how much of the wall you take with you. Rollcages and windownets are how much of a mess you leave on the wall.
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

i have a HUGE list and never reached the sprite limit. amongst them are the UKRS, av8, around 20 newstation grfs etc. of which i'll post a list later on.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
LSky
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by LSky »

Its the long vehicles :|
BlasterTransport
Engineer
Engineer

yup long veicle they take up like a billin sprites. But I can't bear to part with them!!
purely OpenTTD
LSky
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by LSky »

Well not untill a decent vehicle replacement set has been released.
BlasterTransport
Engineer
Engineer

do you know what makes the lvs have so many sprites?
purely OpenTTD
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Because George put a lot of sprites into LV4?

Because 8 sprites per cargo per vehicle for ~20 cargos and ~40 vehicles is a lot of sprites?

Return to “Graphics Development”