Tropic Station Set [WIP]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

What variants of copper ore unloading station do you like?

Poll ended at 14 Aug 2007 12:11

23%
27%
16%
19%
15%

Total votes: 62

lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

actually, i really liked the white silo. nice job so far though.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

How about a new silo? It's lighter than the previous one, but now I think that the CC line is too thick or I should do something with the roof
What's your opinion on silo's roof? Should I make it flat or a cone?

And excuse me my question... How can I encourage you to post more (ideas, suggestions, comments, whatever) here?
Attachments
ts_maize_load2c.png
ts_maize_load2c.png (7.73 KiB) Viewed 4984 times
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

I think you should make a cone roof, most (if not all) silo's I know of have a cone roof.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Cone roofs are safer in countries with heavy rainfall. Rainwater won't stay on the roof, possibly causing it to collapse.
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

I think the shading is a bit wrong (or I don't understand how the silo is expected to look).

:arrow: 1) The roof of the silo looks like it's bulging downwards unless you have the sun shining from the left, which it shouldn't.

:arrow: 2) The reflection on the side indicates the light is coming from down-right (crossed arrow), while I belive the TTD sun should come from up-right (the other arrow).

IMO, the silo's diameter is a bit too large, but I don't know what the prototype looks like. Other than that, it looks good. Is the blue stripe Company Color?
Attachments
q1.png
q1.png (1.59 KiB) Viewed 4960 times
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

@XeryusTC, okay
@Hyronymus - wise words, thanks
AndersI wrote::arrow: 1) The roof of the silo looks like it's bulging downwards unless you have the sun shining from the left, which it shouldn't.
Yeah, I think I messed up because I was too sleepy :)
AndersI wrote::arrow: 2) The reflection on the side indicates the light is coming from down-right (crossed arrow), while I belive the TTD sun should come from up-right (the other arrow).
Many thanks for pointing this out. Will be fixed, for sure.
AndersI wrote:IMO, the silo's diameter is a bit too large, but I don't know what the prototype looks like. Other than that, it looks good. Is the blue stripe Company Color?
What's your proposal? I can make both big, non-track tile version and a thinner, mid-tile silo.
The blue stripe is a cc, I believe

Seems like some people here want non-track silos and some want thinner silos, don't they? What's your opinion? Shall I make two silo and show you?
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

MeusH wrote:Seems like some people here want non-track silos and some want thinner silos, don't they? What's your opinion? Shall I make two silo and show you?
Yes, I think both kinds are needed/wanted. Sometimes you don't have room enough for non-track tiles, but still want to see the station as a typical grain station. Sometimes you *have* room enough, and want to spread out and make a BIG one.
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Please give ideas on making a nice silo roof.
What do you think about this one? How about its height?
Attachments
silo_test1.png
silo_test1.png (1.11 KiB) Viewed 4682 times
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

i must say i quite like it. but more important than what other might think of it is your own feeling about it. this set looks like it can be great, so please, just go on and build it. the opinion of others is nice, but not the end of the line. :wink:
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Okay, I think you're right. Re-drawing a single silo for two weeks is bad. I'll draw the maize loading station and a desert (diamond) station soon :) which means in two days if everything will go ok :P
graphics_master
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by graphics_master »

Just to say, but could you make the silo look more rought, by randomizing the pixels making it look abit better.
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Here it is, maize loading station and a quick beginning of a rainforest city station.

I'm wondering how should all the silo get connected with eachother - I'm afraid overhead pipes would be too sprite consuming in all combinations. Do you have any ideas? Pretend that maize is hauled underground or do all the combinations?

What do you think about colour of the city station platform?
How about shape of the big silo?
graphics_master, I'll add a noise to a silo soon
Attachments
Tropical1.png
Tropical1.png (5.26 KiB) Viewed 4495 times
Maize1.png
Maize1.png (7.03 KiB) Viewed 4496 times
skidd13
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by skidd13 »

MeusH wrote:What do you think about colour of the city station platform?
Looks good. ;)
Keep work going on! *THUMBS UP*

Maybe add some hawker's or sales booth's to the environment of the buildings. Just an idea. :)
What does that mean - the circumstances? I determine what circumstances prevail. -- Napoleon Bonaparte
---
If we cannot end now our differences, at least we can help make the world safe for diversity. -- John F. Kennedy
---
Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings. -- John F. Kennedy
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

whoo, that city station looks groovy! and those silos, well, i shouldn't be too worried about realism in those cases. if realism were the standard for ttd stations, hell, nothing would be accepted. :wink:

Samwise
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Samwise »

Every time I like at your cones, I still think there is something wrong with the shading :? . Apart from that, the station looks nice! :)
Dave

Post by Dave »

MeusH wrote:Please give ideas on making a nice silo roof.
Negative, Captain. Your silo is off centre.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Thanks!
Dave Worley wrote:
MeusH wrote:Please give ideas on making a nice silo roof.
Negative, Captain. Your silo is off centre.
What do you mean saying off centre? Do you mean its roof?
Dave

Post by Dave »

Yes... But I think that may be how you've done it so you can put the conveyer belt thingy on it.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Rainforest city station is close to be finished.
It consists of two buildings, platforms, shelters and an underpass. There is also a waypoint.

I'll work on the maize and ore loading stations soon, but I've got pretty much exams this week...
Attachments
Tropical1_parts.png
Tropical1_parts.png (6.86 KiB) Viewed 4071 times
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Any comments? Please? Do you want a preview with the grass tiles?

Return to “Graphics Development”