OpenTTD 0.5.0 RC1

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

Good to see new revision, except tis' not so new after all, is it?
edk256
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by edk256 »

I can't run 0.5 rc1. When I click the application in my OpenTTD folder, nothing happens. I am using Mac OS X 10.4.8 on Intel. I'll try rebooting, but this is odd, since 0.4.8 worked perfectly before.
Wold
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Wold »

Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

edk256 wrote:I can't run 0.5 rc1. When I click the application in my OpenTTD folder, nothing happens. I am using Mac OS X 10.4.8 on Intel. I'll try rebooting, but this is odd, since 0.4.8 worked perfectly before.
odd. It works just fine here. If nothing happens at all when you try to open the application, then try to do so when having the console open (in /Applications/Utilities) and see if it prints anything useful. You can also try to get info and verify that you got execution permission on the file.
Right now I can't think of anything else that would be of use if 0.4.8 works with your setup.
gorbi
Engineer
Engineer

OS X 10.4.8 startup problem

Post by gorbi »

Bjarni wrote:If nothing happens at all when you try to open the application, then try to do so when having the console open (in /Applications/Utilities) and see if it prints anything useful.
Same problem on my Intel OS X 10.4.8. Console:
Host Name: moskau
Date/Time: 2006-12-23 12:47:47.715 +0100
OS Version: 10.4.8 (Build 8L2127)
Report Version: 4

Command: openttd
Path: /Users/kottmann/Desktop/OpenTTD-0.5.0-RC1/OpenTTD.app/Contents/MacOS/openttd
Parent: WindowServer [64]

Version: 0.5.0-RC1 (0.5.0-RC1)

PID: 565
Thread: Unknown

Link (dyld) error:

Library not loaded: /usr/X11R6/lib/libfontconfig.1.dylib
Referenced from: /Users/kottmann/Desktop/OpenTTD-0.5.0-RC1/OpenTTD.app/Contents/MacOS/openttd
Reason: image not found
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

gahhh, this file appears to be present in the SDK by default, but not on a normal installation. You can always install it using the OSX install DVD (I think they added it to the x11 stuff), but I better figure out a way to solve this without the need for the users to install something in their system. I'm not sure how to do that yet though.

This is why release candidates is a good idea :wink:
xB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by xB »

Hey peepz, great job :D

btw am I the only CZECH that has got some letters messed up?
Wuzaaaaaaaaaaa
Michi_cc
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Windows x64 port

Post by Michi_cc »

Native Windows x64 binary available, till they appear on the donwload site, get them here:

http://www.icosahedron.de/openttd/opent ... -win64.zip (about 1.9 MB)

Might damage your computer yadda yadda etc...

-- Michael Lutz
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

ok, solved the OSX lib problem (I hope). I can't test it myself as it needs a computer without the libs I got installed to get this issue, so you will have to do this for me.

How to install:
  • The file I added here is just the binary file alone, not the bundle or anything (saves space)
  • You download it and unzip it.
  • Then you right click/control left click your OpenTTD application (copied from the dmg) and select "show contents of package" (or something like that)
  • goto Contents/MacOS in the newly opened window
  • copy the openttd file from the zip to this location and overwrite the old one
  • close the window and then start to play
This might give permission problems. If you can't start the game after doing this, then set you as the owner of this file.

The code used to make this binary is the same as RC1, but I linked to a certain library in a different way. Nothing else changed.

This new binary is also a universal binary (or actually triple binary, optimised for G3, G5 and Intel), just like the real release files.

Since I can't be sure that this works, you will have to reply to this if you try it or I will not be able to solve this before the real 0.5.0 is released.
Attachments
openttd-0.5.0-RC1-OSX-BINARY_ONLY.zip
0.5.0-RC1 binary for OSX.... will need full download of RC1 to work.... for testing purposes only
(2.52 MiB) Downloaded 247 times
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

SirkoZ wrote:Good to see new revision, except tis' not so new after all, is it?
Yeah, for some reason it only contains anything that was in trunk. I wonder why that is...
xB wrote:btw am I the only CZECH that has got some letters messed up?
Yes. The other Czech users read the readme...
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

6 people downloaded the binary I posted and nobody replied to tell if it works or not. Even "I can't figure out how to install it" is better than no reply. I got no idea if this just works for everybody. The price for failing to reply to this is that 0.5.0 might not work for you.
gorbi
Engineer
Engineer

Post by gorbi »

Sorry for the late response. Just tested your new binary and there is still a problem but with another library. Maybe missing lib or wrong linking
(tested this time on OS X 10.3.7 on PPC (no Dev Package installed):

Date/Time: 2006-12-24 00:36:56 +0100
OS Version: 10.3.7 (Build 7S215)
Report Version: 2

Path: /Users/kottmann/Desktop/OpenTTD-0.5.0-RC1/OpenTTD.app/Contents/MacOS/openttd
Version: ??? (???)
PID: 489

Link (dyld) error:

dyld: /Users/kottmann/Desktop/OpenTTD-0.5.0-RC1/OpenTTD.app/Contents/MacOS/openttd can't open library: /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib (No such file or directory, errno = 2)
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

gorbi wrote:Sorry for the late response. Just tested your new binary and there is still a problem but with another library. Maybe missing lib or wrong linking
(tested this time on OS X 10.3.7 on PPC (no Dev Package installed):

Date/Time: 2006-12-24 00:36:56 +0100
OS Version: 10.3.7 (Build 7S215)
Report Version: 2

Version: ??? (???)
PID: 489

Link (dyld) error:

dyld: /Users/kottmann/Desktop/OpenTTD-0.5.0-RC1/OpenTTD.app/Contents/MacOS/openttd can't open library: /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib (No such file or directory, errno = 2)
odd... really odd. Go to a terminal and type "ls /usr/lib" and see if libstdc++ is there (under whatever name it might have). if it's there, try otool -L /usr/lib/(filename) and check the current version. It should be there and it should say current version to be 7.3.0 or something like that. OpenTTD should work with 7.0.0 or newer.
gorbi
Engineer
Engineer

Post by gorbi »

Bjarni wrote: odd... really odd. Go to a terminal and type "ls /usr/lib" and see if libstdc++ is there (under whatever name it might have). if it's there, try otool -L /usr/lib/(filename) and check the current version. It should be there and it should say current version to be 7.3.0 or something like that. OpenTTD should work with 7.0.0 or newer.
Well, there is only a lib libstdc++.a archive in /usr/lib: libstdc++.a and no .dylib. Archive contains several C standard libs. Can't get a version info with otool.
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

gorbi wrote:
Bjarni wrote: odd... really odd. Go to a terminal and type "ls /usr/lib" and see if libstdc++ is there (under whatever name it might have). if it's there, try otool -L /usr/lib/(filename) and check the current version. It should be there and it should say current version to be 7.3.0 or something like that. OpenTTD should work with 7.0.0 or newer.
Well, there is only a lib libstdc++.a archive in /usr/lib: libstdc++.a and no .dylib. Archive contains several C standard libs. Can't get a version info with otool.
ok...
Sounds odd. Try to use Google Earth http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html
The reason for this test is that it appears to be a commercial product that relies on the same library. If it fails, then we know that something is not right on your computer. If it works, then we got a mystery.
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

gorbi wrote:(tested this time on OS X 10.3.7 on PPC (no Dev Package installed)
BTW there is a free upgrade to 10.3.9. Any reason why not to use it? In theory it could solve this issue as my SDK contains the updates from 10.3.7 to 10.3.9 and if they changed something regarding this library.. :wink:
There are some applications that can't handle being updated to 10.3.9 (if they didn't fix those issues by now, but I think they did). You don't have those issues unless you are told that you do.

Just run software update and it will take care of this for you. You should run it once in a while, at least for the security updates. Now that you are far behind, you might have to update, reboot and then update again. Just continue until software update fails to find new stuff to update.
gorbi
Engineer
Engineer

Post by gorbi »

Bjarni wrote:BTW there is a free upgrade to 10.3.9. Any reason why not to use it? In theory it could solve this issue as my SDK contains the updates from 10.3.7 to 10.3.9 and if they changed something regarding this library.. :wink:
Yes, you are right. I think it is better to test your binary on my other mac with 10.4 installed. I can't update this old installation to 10.3.9 because I have a really slow internet connection. I will test it on monday with an "advanced" infrastructre. Sorry for the delay.[/quote]
mbm
Engineer
Engineer

Fix works for me!

Post by mbm »

The fix using openttd-0.5.0-RC1-OSX-BINARY_ONLY.zip works on my 10.4.8 OS-X! Thanks!
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

gorbi wrote:
Bjarni wrote:BTW there is a free upgrade to 10.3.9. Any reason why not to use it? In theory it could solve this issue as my SDK contains the updates from 10.3.7 to 10.3.9 and if they changed something regarding this library.. :wink:
Yes, you are right. I think it is better to test your binary on my other mac with 10.4 installed. I can't update this old installation to 10.3.9 because I have a really slow internet connection. I will test it on monday with an "advanced" infrastructre. Sorry for the delay.
It's your loss that I will not fix it before you test it. Since I already got feedback that it works for other people, I will consider this to be an issue with your computer unless told otherwise and the issue is solved since the original problem is gone.
Bot_40
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Bot_40 »

Hmm, since I downloaded 0.5.0 RC1, alpine climate doesn't seem to work, nor does toyland -> mars conversion. They both just have no effect at all. Also, if I start a new game, then look at newgrf settings, they both show up as disabled. Both work fine in the last nightly I used, although that was from quite a while ago (r7305)

Return to “General OpenTTD”