OpenTTD 0.5.0-RC4

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

OpenTTD 0.5.0-RC4

Post by Darkvater »

Release Candidate 4 is out and on schedule.

Translators have done a great job; we've had quite some work with backporting all the changes. But as a result, both Japanese and Slovenian are now finished.

Downloads over at http://www.openttd.org/downloads.php. Please be patient while SF distributes the files and we compile more binaries.

NOTE: The changelog only contains fixes for issues prior to 0.4.8. RC4 fixes a newgrf coredump added to RC3, fixes several desync issues (a big cheers to Rubidium for finding and fixing them), and as an added bonus doubles the spritecache size, so performance should increase with newgrf's used

Link to RC3 forum post: OpenTTD 0.5.0-RC3
Link to RC2 forum post: OpenTTD 0.5.0-RC2.
Link to RC1 forum post: OpenTTD 0.5.0-RC1.

Known bugs for RC4:
  • The russian file has been broken slightly in a recent commit, causing OpenTTD to start the first time in Russian instead of English when not using the current locale. Solution: delete russian.lng or set language=english.lng in openttd.cfg or in the options dialog select english if you can find your way through all the '?'-s.
  • For RC5 (or the final, depending what else is found) the -h help output will go to stdout instead of stderr on consoles.
Changes since RC3:
[list][*]- Feature: Increase spritecache size to 2MB, will increase performance in games using newgrf files (r8218)
[*]- Feature: OS/2 support with GCC (Watcom is dropped) (r8042)
[*]- Codechange: Add Japanese, Slovenian language as an official translation and split Norwegian into Bokmal and Nynorsk (r7987, r8084, r8069)
[*]- Codechange: Show error messages about our own data files as a popup, or to stderr if console is available (and not to stdout) (r8013, r8134)
[*]- Codechange: Change the ordering of the network list, compatible servers just missing grf files are below fully compatible servers, not on the bottom (r8118)
[*]- Fix: Return proper error value when unthreaded save fails, prevents server sending 0-sized files (r8171)
[*]- Fix: Network client crashes when a server sends a 0-sized savegame [FS#556] (r8167)
[*]- Fix: Several desync fixes (incorrect roadstop update of old games, autoreplace bugs) [FS#551] (r8137, r8147, r8157)
[*]- Fix: Some disaster-events fixed: combat chopper shoots from right position, submarine once again moves around (r8140, r8158)
[*]- Fix: "out of sprite memory" warning messages due to incorrect assumption of requested memory for sprites (r8133)
[*]- Fix: Bouys are now built and numbered 1..9 not 9..1 [FS#538] (r8123)
[*]- Fix: Clicking for more news properly cycles through the news history backwards, and doesn't show the first item doubly if it's already open (r8049)
[*]- Fix: Crash when removing a town in the scenario editor while the query window is open for one of the town's tiles (r8030)
[*]- Fix: Overflow of system-ticks was not handled properly, resulting in a possibly unresponsive server/client (r8028)
[*]- Fix: Automatic pause interfering with 'pause_on_join setting' in MP when <shift> is pressed [FS#486] (r8027)
[*]- Fix: Picking up en-route cargo will also have virtual profit deducted for trains aswell (r8026)
[*]- Fix: Out-of-bounds read access on _clients array (harmless) (r7984)[/list]

List of fixes for bugs that were introduced after 0.4.8/RC3:
Changes since RC3:
[list][*]- Codechange: MSVC solution files will make openttd THE startup project (r8112)
[*]- Codechange: Add the ability to load savegames without matching grf's. ONLY allow games with matching GRFID's (and non-matching MD5SUM) to be loaded; missing is still denied as it can crash OpenTTD (r8106)
[*]- Codechange: The station list does now remember the sort settings (r8065)
[*]- Fix: Apply railtype offset to station graphics if no custom station is in use, shows maglev graphic for maglev station [FS#557] (r8186)
[*]- Fix: ParseConnectionstring didn't use the port parameter if a player was also specified (r8168)
[*]- Fix: Do not assert when removing duplicates would remove non-static grf (r8135)
[*]- Fix: The game could crash when the chat key (<ENTER>) is pressed too quickly during join in MP (r8132)
[*]- Fix: Uninitializing windows calls WE_DESTROY to free dynamic memory used, cut down on memleaks (r8101, r8119)
[*]- Fix: Show the activated status of the GRF after pressing apply in window (r8094)
[*]- Fix: [win32] *nprintf functions are broken, 'len = count' wasn't handled, now string is always null-terminated (r8089, r8090)
[*]- Fix: Float division by 0 in YAPF code on Win9x (r8079, r8080)
[*]- Fix: Heightmap crashes when rescaling, or using 24bpp bitmaps [FS#537] (r8070, r8074)
[*]- Fix: Inauguration date of companies from TTDP games was wrong [FS#536] (r8071)
[*]- Fix: One more news-window crash fix (r8049)
[*]- Fix: Segfault in the newgrf loading code when using certain newgrf files (r7979)[/list]
Last edited by Darkvater on 18 Jan 2007 23:41, edited 2 times in total.
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

Wow! cool, let's review the changelog a bit shall we? :wink: :P

(*looks at Darkvaters 'stub'. :wink: :P )

Looks promising. :)
/me will try it out. :P

EDIT: Drat! :twisted:
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

We've found the first bug(s) :P.
  • The russian file has been broken slightly in a recent commit, causing OpenTTD to start the first time in Russian instead of English when not using the current locale.
  • For RC5 (or the final, depending what else is found) the -h help output will go to stdout instead of stderr on consoles.
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
Michal82
Engineer
Engineer

Next bugs

Post by Michal82 »

I have found bugs in polish characters. Where are the characters: ę ą ó ż ź. Open TTD RC4 doesn`t show this signs.
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

read the readme; this has come up a zillion times before.
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

Darkvater wrote:For RC5 (or the final, depending what else is found) the -h help output will go to stdout instead of stderr on consoles.
This issue affects autopilot, which crashes. Admins using autopilot can either wait for my work-around (which will be safe on all versions of OpenTTD, including RC4 and nightly builds which use stderr like this) or they can change line 39 in autopilot-lib.tcl to this:

Code: Select all

return {unavailable}
The word unavailable can be replaced with any string you like; it will be used as the version string in all cases.

EDIT: New version is out. This will work with all versions of OpenTTD.
Last edited by Brianetta on 18 Jan 2007 19:29, edited 1 time in total.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Oops... couple of bad bugs crept in.

I started in Brianetta's RC4 game with 134Mill. One company weirdly had a credit of 12billion for sold vehicles, and a worth of 13bill or so. I went to buy 25% shares, and the game paid me 1.1billion to do so!!!! :)

Second bug is in the autoreplace feature. In the ship depot, I can buy the full range of available ships. But the list of available ships in the autoreplace is missing lots of ships - eg. I cant replace the GCV with the Livestock Carrier, the Astander cant be replaced by the Daewoo car carrier. Weirdness...

Here is a link to the game saved prior to me joining. (Orange, company 1). The sequence to try is:
  • Change to Red company.
    Sell 50% of Railfreight shares... for a big cost.
    Change to Orange company (RichK)
    Buy 50% of Railfreight shares... and be paid billions for it.
Clearly, since this was a MP game, we did not actually do the company changing, but the effect can be replicated in SP with this sequence.

Come back RC3 all is forgiven.
Attachments
Ship replacement weirdness
Ship replacement weirdness
RichK Not Goin' Bankrupt Ltd, 4th Dec 2002.png (31.43 KiB) Viewed 18844 times
Enron R Us :)   how to get a 1.9billion profit by buying shares ;)
Enron R Us :) how to get a 1.9billion profit by buying shares ;)
RichK Not Goin' Bankrupt Ltd, 3rd Jul 2000.png (59.62 KiB) Viewed 18846 times
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

That's nice RichK. And thanks for bringing in so much money for my company. :lol:
BBB
Engineer
Engineer

downlading RC4

Post by BBB »

Don't know if this is the right topic, but RC4 for Debian is not available for download. I can download the source code and the windows installer, but the .deb file doesn't seem to be there.

I get the following message on firefox when trying to download RC4:
File Not found
File: openttd-0.5.0-RC4-i386.deb not found.
To go back to the project page for openttd click here
Click here for documentation about the download process on sf.net.
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

White Rabbit wrote:That's nice RichK. And thanks for bringing in so much money for my company. :lol:
Yeah, it was fun taking over a company on the edge... it was a powerhouse in 5 years :) Sometimes ships are just AWESOME :)
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Firework Photography
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: downlading RC4

Post by Brianetta »

BBB wrote:Don't know if this is the right topic, but RC4 for Debian is not available for download. I can download the source code and the windows installer, but the .deb file doesn't seem to be there.

I get the following message on firefox when trying to download RC4:
File Not found
File: openttd-0.5.0-RC4-i386.deb not found.
To go back to the project page for openttd click here
Click here for documentation about the download process on sf.net.
I think somebody's working on it:
On IRC wrote:18:58 <blathijs> let's build some debs :-)
matthijs
Engineer
Engineer

Re: downlading RC4

Post by matthijs »

Brianetta wrote:
On IRC wrote:18:58 <blathijs> let's build some debs :-)
Yup. And they're done.
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

Another overflow, or something. Tonight's game on my Standard Server. Many saved games can be made available if necessary. Look at this player's property maintenance - anything strike you as odd?
Attachments
Devil Transport Finances.png
Devil Transport Finances.png (5.28 KiB) Viewed 18398 times
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

richk67 wrote:Oops... couple of bad bugs crept in.

I started in Brianetta's RC4 game with 134Mill. One company weirdly had a credit of 12billion for sold vehicles, and a worth of 13bill or so. I went to buy 25% shares, and the game paid me 1.1billion to do so!!!! :)

Second bug is in the autoreplace feature. In the ship depot, I can buy the full range of available ships. But the list of available ships in the autoreplace is missing lots of ships - eg. I cant replace the GCV with the Livestock Carrier, the Astander cant be replaced by the Daewoo car carrier. Weirdness...
The first is a bug caused by the int32 return value of a command, which simply cannot handle the immense amount that Railfreight is worth (you should pay -3205676953 pounds (so get this many), but when cast to a signed 32-bit integer you actually need to pay 1089290343. You guys should not have this much money ;p

The second one is not a bug. The autoreplace window only shows vehicles that you can replace the actual vehicle with. Clearly none of your freight ships can carry passangers, so no hovercraft, etc. is shown.
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

Darkvater wrote:The second one is not a bug. The autoreplace window only shows vehicles that you can replace the actual vehicle with. Clearly none of your freight ships can carry passangers, so no hovercraft, etc. is shown.
There is a bug, though, with autoreplace and refits. The list of compatible ships apparently doesn't take refits into account; there's a saved game demonstrating this here (click sig for newgrfs). The depot upon which the screen is (almost) centred is having autoreplace trouble.
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Darkvater wrote:The second one is not a bug. The autoreplace window only shows vehicles that you can replace the actual vehicle with. Clearly none of your freight ships can carry passangers, so no hovercraft, etc. is shown.
Yeah, it is a bug. I cant replace a converted-to-livestock goods ship with a dedicated livestock carrier. I aint dat toopid ;)

Here are some clearer screenies with better explanations. Hope it helps! :)

[edit] I think 1997 was the date of the conversion from RC3 to RC4, so either our last RC3 save was corrupt, or the load into RC4 wasnt as clean as it should be.
Attachments
I know we should not have all that money available and that an overflow occurs when buying the already-in-error shares. This is where the error came in: in 1997 Railfreight was paid 12 billion for sale of rolling stock (in error). Thats privatisation!
I know we should not have all that money available and that an overflow occurs when buying the already-in-error shares. This is where the error came in: in 1997 Railfreight was paid 12 billion for sale of rolling stock (in error). Thats privatisation!
RichK Not Goin' Bankrupt Ltd, 21st Nov 1999 #4.png (43.94 KiB) Viewed 18167 times
Ship 31 is an Astander Goods ship carrying goods. The Daewoo car carrier is available with a goods capacity of 500t. Again, not available in the list.
Ship 31 is an Astander Goods ship carrying goods. The Daewoo car carrier is available with a goods capacity of 500t. Again, not available in the list.
RichK Not Goin' Bankrupt Ltd, 21st Nov 1999 #3.png (34.13 KiB) Viewed 18169 times
Ship 37 is a GCV converted to carry livestock. The Meyer livestock ship is now available. However autorep does not let me replace my GCV livestock ships with Meyers. Not in the list.
Ship 37 is a GCV converted to carry livestock. The Meyer livestock ship is now available. However autorep does not let me replace my GCV livestock ships with Meyers. Not in the list.
RichK Not Goin' Bankrupt Ltd, 21st Nov 1999 #2.png (43.18 KiB) Viewed 18170 times
Last edited by richk67 on 19 Jan 2007 02:55, edited 4 times in total.
Firework Photography
ickoonite
Engineer
Engineer

Japanese (and Unicode generally) on OS X build

Post by ickoonite »

I'm the Japanese translator for OpenTTD and am a little bit peeved at the moment as the shiny new Unicode, etc. support doesn't appear to work on OS X. I've tried compiling with libfreetype, etc. but to no avail. Bit disappointing really, as it means I am having to run OTTD under Windows on Virtual PC to test out my modifications.

So, yeah, a fix for that would be absolutely brilliant. As it is now, on my system (where the system language is set to Japanese), if you load OTTD up without an openttd.cfg, it defaults to Japanese and thus just a load of question marks, because the font support appears not to be there.
glx
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by glx »

Take a look in the readme :)
ickoonite
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ickoonite »

glx wrote:Take a look in the readme :)
If you're referring to the bit about small_font, medium_font and large_font, I have tried that (of course), specifying both font paths and simple font names, all to no avail.
sidew
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sidew »

ickoonite wrote:
glx wrote:Take a look in the readme :)
If you're referring to the bit about small_font, medium_font and large_font, I have tried that (of course), specifying both font paths and simple font names, all to no avail.
for japanese font support have you tried these fonts (if i remember, these are available with eastern langiage support installed on win):
msgothic.ttc
msmincho.ttc
Sidewinder

Italian Town names patch for OTTD (R5266) now in trunk since 0.4.8
For typo, errors or bug on OTTD italian translation, please PM me.
unofficial italian TTD/OpenTTD forum: http://wolf01.game-host.org/forum/index.php

Return to “General OpenTTD”