Cannot open "Sample.cat" PLEASE HELP! :(

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

lego oli
Engineer
Engineer

Cannot open "Sample.cat" PLEASE HELP! :(

Post by lego oli »

When i try start open ttd it crashes and a box pop up and says: Cannot open "Sample.cat"
PLEASE HELP ME!! :(
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Re: Cannot open "Sample.cat" PLEASE HELP! :(

Post by DaleStan »

This is the "Transport Tycoon Deluxe" forum. It is used for discussing Transport Tycoon Deluxe. (*gasp*shock*) If you wish to discuss some other game, such as OpenTTD, you should consider using one of forums that contain "OpenTTD" in their names.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

lego oli wrote:When i try start open ttd it crashes and a box pop up and says: Cannot open "Sample.cat"
Of course.

You didn't install the necessary base graphics files. They're not part of OpenTTD (yet). Have a look at the readme on how to install them. Have a look at aunt google on how to retrieve the original TTD base graphics or have a look at OpenGFX (instructions found in the OpenTTD wiki) on how to obtain that. Maybe even my signature might help you with that.
matthew57778
Engineer
Engineer

Post by matthew57778 »

planetmaker wrote:
lego oli wrote:When i try start open ttd it crashes and a box pop up and says: Cannot open "Sample.cat"
Of course.

You didn't install the necessary base graphics files. They're not part of OpenTTD (yet). Have a look at the readme on how to install them. Have a look at aunt google on how to retrieve the original TTD base graphics or have a look at OpenGFX (instructions found in the OpenTTD wiki) on how to obtain that. Maybe even my signature might help you with that.
well what is the link for the files so i can get my ttd to open
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

@Rubidium, is linking to the original sample.cat legal on these forums? If not, then just use the sample.cat from OpenSFX.

Edit: Judging from previous experience, I don't expect that Matthew will actually investigate before asking again, so here is a direct download link, and you just need to find the sample.cat file in the zip. If you can't, then *facepalm*.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

petert wrote:@Rubidium, is linking to the original sample.cat legal on these forums? If not, then just use the sample.cat from OpenSFX.
Mind that OpenSFX won't help you getting started, if you play stable OpenTTD; the sound format used in OpenSFX and its brothers and sisters is different from the original sample.cat But an empty sample.cat will do in all cases.
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

Oh yes, thank you. I just remembered that the stable haven't implemented OpenSFX yet. You could use it with a nightly, or just get a soundless sample.cat.
CompactDstrxion
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CompactDstrxion »

At the moment, OpenTTD does not have built-in replacements for the original game's assets. You need the original game assets (google to download or buy the original game somewhere) or one of the open-licensed replacements under development.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”