[WIP] INFRA by SAC

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [WIP] INFRA by SAC

Post by SAC »

The one on the left is the one I'm most happy with. It fits and looks good in game as well. The third one is rather ugly, and it's something I cooked up quickly to fill a 2x2 spot in Olympia, but still, it's an ugly piece of work. On the other hand, a stroll downtown in real life gives loads of examples of buttugly structures, and if I'm striving for realism in TTDLX, then why not... :mrgreen:

However, it may be that I reduce that ugly piece of work somehow... Possibly attach it to something else for a better appearence... The middle one was mostly a test to try out a more classical type of building to see how it would fit a 2x2-tile. Since I haven't made any classical buildings apart from a few, I made this test using one of Oz - or Lifebloods ?, buildings for the purpose. But I totally agree with you on the height. It should be higher and I made a second version and doubled the height. It looks better. I even received an e-mail from a forumer with an attached updated version in a similar way, so yes... it needs more height to look good.
Simuscape - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | Visual Studio | INFRA Diary

INFRA Downloads - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | INFRA - A World of its own
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

Referring to THIS THREAD about using SCURK, BAPlus or SC3URK to produce buildings for use with TTDLX, I made an example below to showcase a SC3KU/WE building "sort of adapted" for use with TTDLX.

One problem with TTDLX is that structures cannot be to tall, (if it's indeed a problem :mrgreen: ), and in my opinion creating skyscrapers or highrises placed on a 1x1 base doesn't do them justice compared to ordinary TTDLX buildings. With the example below I simply grabbed a SC3KU/WE building and resized it to a suitable level, then shortened it, (due to height restrictions in TTDLX), and brushed it up here and there to make it look good. And voila - here's the result;

Of course, a lot more work can be done on this one as far as the base regards as well as the roof, but it's just an example. I haven't tested it in game yet, but I'm sure it'll fit nicely with Olympias ever so growing and expanding business area downtown... :mrgreen:

//Edit to add;//

The building below is obviously much taller in reality, but I think this is an acceptable middle-way if wanting to use "skyscrapers" in TTDLX. The key - in my opinion - is that these buildings needs a 2x2-tile to look great, and at least a 1x2 tile as a minimum, preferably greater if possible.
Last edited by SAC on 29 Feb 2012 10:07, edited 1 time in total.

Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

are you aware that sprites cannot be higher than 256 pixels?
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

Eddi wrote:are you aware that sprites cannot be higher than 256 pixels?
....which is why it's noted "a test" just to illustrate a previous discussion... :tongue: However, my second and more re-worked version is within the height limits and works great in game. :))

Still, it should be noted that even though SC3KU/WE is an isometric game following the isometrical view of TTDLX, these buildings aren't obviously made for TTDLX, thus requiring quite some work to adapt to the TTDLX-style - in the event someone think of this as a project to pursuit. A perhaps better solution is to use BAPlus and create buildings with less details and simplified graphics for a better outcome when re-scaling the structures. The advantage of using BAPlus is that it is very simple, and have you ever played with lego you know exactly what to do... :mrgreen:

ForLostContent
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ForLostContent »

Please upload you trees (excellent art) to online content
Not stolen trees, but testw.grf with arctic set
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

ForLostContent wrote:Please upload you trees (excellent art) to online content
Not stolen trees, but testw.grf with arctic set
There should be a link somewhere to the testw.grf... Check inside George's ECS-thread... :))

Continuing my landscaping process in Olympia I got myself some more water downtown. And what better than to place a genuin old Swedish Castle in there... :mrgreen:

It's based on a real castle in Sweden, and while it was rather easy to create, (both with and without a descent model to work from), the most difficult part was the roof... But with the help of some trcik with my paint program I think it turned out pretty well... At least it looks good in Olympia with all the outdoor café's and marinas close-by... :)) Have some minor details I need to work on, but overall I'm happy with the outcome...
Last edited by SAC on 29 Feb 2012 10:07, edited 1 time in total.

Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Beautiful as always!

I seem to remember you were looking for someone to help with all the construction stages and snowy versions of sprites, did you find anyone?
ForLostContent
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ForLostContent »

Sorry for inaccuracy english, i ment I would very like to see your grf in server game: other grfs may have replaces but your is unique
Though you stolen trees are already online, hope you are ok with "bananas"
Placed "testw.grf" name for being concrete: only they can work in arctic
Really hope for your upload :wink:
ZxBiohazardZx
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ZxBiohazardZx »

that would be very very nice to place near watertile with that edge, though canals give ugly finishing, so im curious how you will place it in your game
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

Zephyris wrote:Beautiful as always!

I seem to remember you were looking for someone to help with all the construction stages and snowy versions of sprites, did you find anyone?
George volunteered a long time ago, bu so much of the set wasn't finished at that time. Still, finished or not it sure is time to catch up with construction stages and snowy versions though... Why? Interested? :))

Since before I already have permission to use Zimmlocks and Oz construction stages - which I'm sure can be used to some extent...
ForLostContent wrote: Really hope for your upload :wink:
I don't use neither of those .grf's myself so I'm not entirely sure where I might have one. If anyone can provide me I'll see if I can upload it to the bananas...
ZxBiohazardZx wrote:that would be very very nice to place near watertile with that edge, though canals give ugly finishing, so im curious how you will place it in your game
It's already in place in front of the business district, downtown Olympia - which btw is going through a huge facelift... And I don't use tha canal tiles, but the water tiles... Looks bl...y good... :mrgreen:

Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

SAC wrote:

George volunteered a long time ago, bu so much of the set wasn't finished at that time. Still, finished or not it sure is time to catch up with construction stages and snowy versions though... Why? Interested? :)
I would love to help, and I think I should get a good chunk of time to do so in about a months time or so... It would be great to help you get these graphics to a state where you are happy to release them for everyone to enjoy.
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

:))

Great!

Let's continue this discussion in about a month or so then, and we'll see where to go from there... - although I'm not sure about the general interest in INFRA anymore... possibly because it has taken a lot of time to work with, but people need to understand that working on something that has continued to grow all the time - and working alone - DO take time... 'cause it's not like I have a real life to attend to, right? :rolleyes:

buckethead
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by buckethead »

Oh I can wait another 10 years.
SamMacca
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by SamMacca »

SAC wrote::))

Great!

Let's continue this discussion in about a month or so then, and we'll see where to go from there... - although I'm not sure about the general interest in INFRA anymore... possibly because it has taken a lot of time to work with, but people need to understand that working on something that has continued to grow all the time - and working alone - DO take time... 'cause it's not like I have a real life to attend to, right? :rolleyes:
Not sure about the general interest in INFRA?!! Wouldn't surprise me, at all, if this was the most downloaded .grf available, when released.
ImageImageImage

James Hetfield.. God..
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

I might as well say it here:

@SAC you do realise that simuscape is not working?
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
ForLostContent
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ForLostContent »

SAC wrote:
I don't use neither of those .grf's myself so I'm not entirely sure where I might have one. If anyone can provide me I'll see if I can upload it to the bananas...
Of course, attached
Attachments
testw.grf
(294.62 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
Igor_Lucas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Igor_Lucas »

grf wonderful when it will be ready to download?
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Zephyris wrote:
SAC wrote:

George volunteered a long time ago, bu so much of the set wasn't finished at that time. Still, finished or not it sure is time to catch up with construction stages and snowy versions though... Why? Interested? :)
I would love to help, and I think I should get a good chunk of time to do so in about a months time or so... It would be great to help you get these graphics to a state where you are happy to release them for everyone to enjoy.
I've developed a snippet of nfo code for newobjects that detects the season (summer or winter) or the climate and displays the appropriate terrain (ground tile) respectively. It should be easy enough to match this up with seasonal graphics, so if some snowy SAC sprites should become available, send them to me and I'll see how they work out.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

SAC wrote: - although I'm not sure about the general interest in INFRA anymore... possibly because it has taken a lot of time to work with, but people need to understand that working on something that has continued to grow all the time - and working alone - DO take time... 'cause it's not like I have a real life to attend to, right?
There is definately interest in INFRA! This is especially true in OpenTTD (where I play) where newObjects are now available, features like newTracks are pushing what customisation is possible and town building grfs can be beautiful and richly coded...

Return to “Graphics Development”