SimuTrans

Discuss the free TT-like game Simutrans.
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

SHADOW-XIII wrote:Great .. and good would be to not to see grid ... and this grass .... maybe a bit darker .. like in TTD :mrgreen: I know it can't be exactly like in TTD ... but something near ...
The ground grid will be toggleable some day. ATM a majority of players sems to prefer gridless tiles.

Darker grass - I guess it will be very hard to get an agreement here. But you can exchange all objects in Simutrans with your own versions (even add new objects). Objects are vehicles, buildings, industries, goods - of course grounds are objects, too.

ATM the tool to include new objects is only avaiolable for list members:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simutrans/files/Makeobj/

The reason is that we don't have good documentation and nearly no examples. But on the mailing list you'll meet people who know how to use that tool. Once it becomes a bit easier to use and we have better documentation Makeobj will be offered for downlaod on the Simutrans website so that everyone can get it - well everyone can get it now, too, list membership is free, but some people don't like yahoo groups.

Summary: everone can make his own grass with Makeobj. This sems to be the only solution that suits all :)

c.u.
Hajo

PS: by using Makeobj and replacing all vehicles, industries, goods and the rest of the graphics you can create your very own scenarios and/or addons for Simutrans.
G-Klav
Chairman
Chairman

Post by G-Klav »

I thought that the gridded grass was an addon.
At least I didn't have it before I downloaded "gridded_grass.zip"
I can recommend the new water. It looks great!!
( http://mitglied.lycos.de/hjmhjm/php_test/browser_db.php )

BTW, the link to the height map of Europe is broken.
G-Klav

Note: my avatar is best viewed with the 'silver' scheme on the forums.
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

G-Klav wrote:I thought that the gridded grass was an addon.
At least I didn't have it before I downloaded "gridded_grass.zip"
ATM it is an addon - it's an workaround to give players at least a choice of gridded/ungridded ground. Later on I want to include both grounds and change the program to choose one of them, depending on the users preference. It's only a small step that is missing to a nice solution.
G-Klav wrote: I can recommend the new water. It looks great!!
( http://mitglied.lycos.de/hjmhjm/php_test/browser_db.php )
:)
G-Klav wrote: BTW, the link to the height map of Europe is broken.
Thanks for telling me! It's fixed now.

Kind regards,
Hajo
G-Klav
Chairman
Chairman

Post by G-Klav »

Hajo, have you put my translation online yet?
I'd like to update it soon.
G-Klav

Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

G-Klav wrote:Hajo, have you put my translation online yet?
I'd like to update it soon.
Not yet, I had been busy with other things so far. Shall I wait for the update?

c.u.
Hajo
G-Klav
Chairman
Chairman

Post by G-Klav »

Yes, please.
G-Klav

Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

G-Klav wrote:Yes, please.
Ok.
G-Klav
Chairman
Chairman

Post by G-Klav »

I will perhaps update it today, but probably tomorrow.
G-Klav

Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

G-Klav wrote:I will perhaps update it today, but probably tomorrow.
No rush, good things need time :)

Just an update:
I've started to rework the factory info windows as mentioned in a message to Shadow XIII (it turned out to be unfriendly difficult to add a few buttons there, argh, again it's code from Simutrans stone age ...) and maybe if time allows I'll also start to rework the powerlines to test my new idea of power networks. Many small steps ...

c.u.
Hajo
G-Klav
Chairman
Chairman

Post by G-Klav »

IMO, it sounds great!!

(Except I'll have to translate some more...ahh well, that's life!!)
G-Klav

Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

spy_force 1 wrote:I still keep getting the same message.
Contents of folder:

[snipped]

thanks
Hi Spy_Force 1,

sorry for the long delay, somehow I missed your message.

Diagnosis:
In your folder listing I cannot find the simutrans.exe

The simutrans.exe must be in the same folder as the listed files (most notably it.tab which is read first by the program). Also the sdl.dll seems to be missing.

To me it looks as if the windows exe and dll did not end up in the same folder as the files from the base package (your listings shows all contents from the base package). Try to move/copy the exe and dll into the folder that you had listed in your message and it shoudl work.

Sorry that I missed your message and didn't answer :(

c.u.
Hajo
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

G-Klav wrote:IMO, it sounds great!!
Those buttons in the factory window are really handy. Now that I have them, I cannot understand that for so long I was too lazy to add them. They are really convenient.
G-Klav wrote: (Except I'll have to translate some more...ahh well, that's life!!)
Usually only the major versions get a full translation (i.e. last doen for the 0.81.0) - the next is 0.82.0

That means usually you have many months in between two translations and of course only need to add the ew entries - I'll provide list of all changes so that you'll know what to add or remove.

ATM the project is a bit confused because so many tasks run in parallel. Quite some of the painters are currently upgrading all image to the double size. This allows a lot of fine details to be added but it is ainsane amount of work, there are more than 2000 tiles juts for the summer scenario.

Finally there will be three zoom levels, the curent size being the middle zoom, and one larger and smaller version. The larger version will be very detailed.

In parallel The complete configuration system is rewritten to get back full user customizeability. ATM the pak files can't be altered easily, and we want to provide tools to let everyone edit, add and remove objets from Simutrans.

The third, my task is to bug fix and polish the 0.81.x series to get out a new shine 0.82.0 within the next two months - after that the transition to include the new features from the parallel development branches will start and probably for a while Simutrans versions will be instable until everything is on track again.

That means there are several weeks for you to improve the swedish translation until the 0.82.0 will be released.

c.u.
Hajo
G-Klav
Chairman
Chairman

Post by G-Klav »

Thanks for the answer, Hajo!!

Now I know how it works...
G-Klav

worchyld
Engineer
Engineer

Why not do a top-down version?

Post by worchyld »

I've seen quite a few of those TT remakes around. Some in shops aren't very good at all. I bought that "Rails across america" and I thought it was crap for the kind of money it was selling at.

I'm thinking of doing a version of TT but top-down (its easier on me to do the gfx then) like the original SimCity (Amiga/PC Version)..

I dunno yet, I have to think long and hard about it...

Thinking of coding it in Blitz Basic (http://www.blitzbasic.com) but I am still learning it at the moment.

Still, what do you guys think about a top-down TTD?
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: Why not do a top-down version?

Post by Hajo »

worchyld wrote:I've seen quite a few of those TT remakes around. Some in shops aren't very good at all. I bought that "Rails across america" and I thought it was crap for the kind of money it was selling at.
Simutrans is freeware.
worchyld wrote: I'm thinking of doing a version of TT but top-down (its easier on me to do the gfx then) like the original SimCity (Amiga/PC Version)..

I dunno yet, I have to think long and hard about it...

Thinking of coding it in Blitz Basic (http://www.blitzbasic.com) but I am still learning it at the moment.

Still, what do you guys think about a top-down TTD?
I'm a big fan of isometric display. It is possible to make very good graphics that way, yet isometric games are very easy to control by the user.

Blitz Basic may allow a quick start, but I doubt it will carry you all the way. OTOH this depends on your overall plans. I think the amount of work needed for a good TT clone is often underestimated.

I've worked on Simutrans since 1997, but often only a few hours a week as I have a full time job and Simutrans is only a hobby of mine. But since 2000 nearly all the time several people worked on Simutrans, so overall lots of manpower went into it.

Adam K. recently guessed one year for a full time programmer to make a god TT clone. I think that's a reasonable guess.

c.u.
Hajo
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Simutrans 0.81.24exp now officially available

Post by Hajo »

Hi,

Simutrans 0.81.24exp is now officially available at http://www.simutrans.de

A list of changes since the 0.81.19exp can be found here:
http://www.s-line.de/homepages/simutran ... _24exp.txt

c.u.
Hajo
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

thanks .... one odd:
sometimes when I play ... SimuTrans changing colors ... ... sometimes it is nearly invisible but sometimes colors are completly diffirent :?:
Use XP and GeForce2 MX (64 MB / 400)
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

SHADOW-XIII wrote:thanks .... one odd:
sometimes when I play ... SimuTrans changing colors ... ... sometimes it is nearly invisible but sometimes colors are completly diffirent :?:
Use XP and GeForce2 MX (64 MB / 400)
There is a day&night mode that changes the colors during nighttime. The overall map gets dark, and some windows and lamps get lit.

Maybe the color change doesn't work properly on your system ... you can turn the day&night mode off, i.e. in the new-world dialog before creating a new map or in the display-options dialog for the current game. Setting is persistent, you need to change it only once.

c.u.
Hajo
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

guess from which game this screenshot is ....

I was totally shocked :shock: ... no ... I'm still shocked
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Bart
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bart »

I'm shocked :shock: :shock: :shock:

WOW! I mean, wow! How??? What huhuhuhuh....

Ahum sorry. Is this fake or something? From what I saw from Simutrans a week ago is wasn't that 'beautifull'.

Return to “Simutrans”