Reorganisation of graphics forums

The latest news about the forums and the Transport Tycoon world is posted here.
Please also read the rules here before posting elsewhere in the forum.
Chrill

Re: Reorganisation of graphics forums

Post by Chrill »

Gremnon wrote:
Jolteon wrote:I think sets getting own subforums will result in A LOT of "omg no fair they got one" behaviour.
Simple - have them made only on request (which probably would be the case anyway) and have the set author(s) state why it's needed before it'll be created.
This job could be quite challenging, we'd probably need a new "Graphis subforum Moderator" or something :P But still, it's theoretically a good idea
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Again, are projects subforums really necessary? I've always managed with one topic per project...
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

It can be handy, Purno. On the Civfanatics and Simtropolis forums they have it too. What you see is forked discussion about current versions and future versions. That's plain perfect.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

I fear outsides will get lost very easy, and insides getting lost less easy (but still getting lost).

But the additional administration (and moderation) needed to do this concerns me too, though I guess that's the administrators and moderators responsability.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Ammler
President
President

Post by Ammler »

Again, 32bpp isn't a own graphics system, it needs a GRF like the 8bpp graphics.

Currently the graphics do "improve" either the base graphics (trg?r.grf) and the there is 2nd grf with 32bpp support, the spanish trains. I am not aware of other sets with 32bpp support.

Where would you like to have the 32bpp graphics for the foo.grf? (in the foo.grf thread or in a separate thread in the 32bpp section?

Greets
Ammler
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

I think better to leave 32bpp separate, so all threads don't get spammed with 'Why don't I got 32bpp graphics', to which the reason is either because there aren't any, or they didn't turn them on.
Either way, a separate place for 32bpp would be better.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Gremnon wrote:I think better to leave 32bpp separate, so all threads don't get spammed with 'Why don't I got 32bpp graphics', to which the reason is either because there aren't any, or they didn't turn them on.
This could quite easily be handled if the topic title specified 8bpp; 32bpp or 8/32bpp (for both). This would be similar and in addition to the title specifying "OTTD"; "TTDP" or "OTTD/TTDP". This way, one could have one topic for all possibilities of one grf.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

wallyweb wrote:
Gremnon wrote:I think better to leave 32bpp separate, so all threads don't get spammed with 'Why don't I got 32bpp graphics', to which the reason is either because there aren't any, or they didn't turn them on.
This could quite easily be handled if the topic title specified 8bpp; 32bpp or 8/32bpp (for both). This would be similar and in addition to the title specifying "OTTD"; "TTDP" or "OTTD/TTDP". This way, one could have one topic for all possibilities of one grf.
I can only agree. Though it might make sense to have sub-forums for a few big regional grf-collections, I prefer from a user- and reader-perspective fewer frequented forums than many nearly-deserted. Topics can easily kept distinguished by these prefixes, if needed. Too many forums will only leave new people at a loss where they might be right and leave the mods with many requests to move topics and cause many pointless flames for not properly identifying the proper (sub)forum for a question.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

I'm in favour of limiting the amount of forums, as then I can quickly see if there's something new of interest in graphics land without having to browse through tens of forums.

For example:
|- Graphics Releases
|- Graphics Development
| |- Graphics Development Tools

The latter is a sub-forum of the previous.

People interested in the development just check the development forum. Users only interested in usable stuff only check the release forum and complain there if something is not working.

Prefixes still hold true:
- [TTDP] for TTDP only;
- no prefix if it works in both;
- [OTTD] for OTTD only;
- [OTTD/32] or something for 32bpp OTTD graphics.
audigex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by audigex »

The only problem I see is that OTTD has a much bigger vehicle pool, so while virtually all GRFs are compatible with OTTD, not all will work with TTDP - as long as the thread makers/mods are happy to use prefixes, though, I can't see it being a problem.
Jon
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

audigex wrote:The only problem I see is that OTTD has a much bigger vehicle pool, so while virtually all GRFs are compatible with OTTD, not all will work with TTDP - as long as the thread makers/mods are happy to use prefixes, though, I can't see it being a problem.
Do you or don't you see a problem? Not quite clear from your post.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Hyronymus wrote:
audigex wrote:The only problem I see is that OTTD has a much bigger vehicle pool, so while virtually all GRFs are compatible with OTTD, not all will work with TTDP - as long as the thread makers/mods are happy to use prefixes, though, I can't see it being a problem.
Do you or don't you see a problem? Not quite clear from your post.
It's a problem unless everyone uses prefixes ;)
Image Image
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

I'd be happy with one single graphics forum. The post / thread growth rates on the existing two forums aren't that high.

FooBar's suggestion of releases / development is interesting. Despite the benefits of grf crawler, BaNaNaS, and the Coop nightly build server, I still release to the forums first (better chance of getting feedback / bug reports).

I would be against creating many sub-forums. I can use my eyes to figure out what to read without needing a lot more organisation and unnecessary clicks.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

andythenorth wrote:FooBar's suggestion of releases / development is interesting.
That wasn't mine. Has been suggested earlier by Purno, but I wanted to bring it up again as I think it's a good idea :P

I see the release forum as a place where regular users can seek support in case of troubles with a grf. The development forum will be where newgrf developers discuss features of the grf and such before they make it into a release.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

So, I propose for now, a new category, after "Transport Tycoon":

Transport Tycoon Graphics Development

- Graphics Development
Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here*.

- NewGRF Technical Discussions
Discussions about the technical aspects of graphics development, including NewGRF tools and utilities.

- 32-bit Graphics Development
Discuss or post new 32-bit graphics for OpenTTD here.

* Not that I imagine anybody's making them any more. The really old users around here will remember graphics distributed in EXE format. :D

If people think it's a good idea, I will also add, as the first forum here:

- Graphics Releases
Find all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

I still think keeping the 32-bit and 8-bit graphics separate is perhaps a good idea (I don't recall ever seeing any 8-bit sets that also had a 32-bit version, although maybe I just wasn't looking). But if people think they should be combined, I can do so.
Benny
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Benny »

Sounds nice. A place for releases is also a nice idea.
Vemarkis
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vemarkis »

I think your suggestion is most prudent, thus I give my support for it. :)
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Your proposal sounds quite reasonable (not that I actually read or contribute to said subforums these days ^^; ).

Are those categories going to be only forward acting (ie. all old threads go to one place (Graphics Development?)), or is someone going to sort through the existing threads and place them in their respective subforums...
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Effectively, what would happen is:

TTDPatch Graphics -> Graphics Development
Any specific technical threads (eg, stickies) in the existing graphics forums -> NewGRF Technical Discussions
OpenTTD Graphics -> 32-bit Graphics Development

If any topics are obviously in the wrong forums, they'll be moved. I would also encourage thread authors in the Graphics Development forum to tag their topics as soon as possible (with "OTTD", "TTDP", etc).
Ammler
President
President

Post by Ammler »

orudge wrote: OpenTTD Graphics -> 32-bit Graphics Development
If there are 5 threads with 32bpp, it is much....

Return to “News”