Red*Stars modern train station set [beta released]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Ok, this looks impressive :!:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Your station is cool in 32bit.
I am working on 128x63 sprites (buildings) currently. A lot of work. Anybody else willing to join the project? He'd better start drawing and not waste his time talking in the forums!
Hope OpenTTD will support these. If not they can be used in a SimuTrans TTD128.pak.
Pity I cannot find a suitable 3D editor that is easy to use. Blender cannot make accurate isometric sprites. (Rotation is not fine.)
Will have news from my home page in a couple of months. Don't ask me now (very busy).
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Red*Star
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Red*Star »

Here I am again.

After modifying some details of the station I have now started coding, and, well, I have made my first grf ever! :D

What? No, there's nothing wrong, I want that the platform is up in the air... erm... :oops: What, you don't believe me? :mrgreen:
Attachments
kewl.png
kewl.png (45.46 KiB) Viewed 7724 times
MesseLaatzenv41orsomething.png
MesseLaatzenv41orsomething.png (29.69 KiB) Viewed 7725 times
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Interesting progress.
Looks better than when my first station grf didn't cause a crash / started working.
You can find screenshots of my first and only station grf, here.

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
Red*Star
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Red*Star »

Lakie wrote:Interesting progress.
Looks better than when my first station grf didn't cause a crash / started working.
You can find screenshots of my first and only station grf, here.

~ Lakie
Interesting... I have seen that picture today while searching for examples of already coded stations ;).

EDIT: Crashes I now also had enough *rolleyes*. This is the first really working version of just the platforms. Anyway: Thanks for sharing your glass station nfo file with the comments, Lakie - I learned a lot from it, together with the tutorial.
Attachments
scr1.png
scr1.png (30.85 KiB) Viewed 7543 times
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

Hey guys,

Just so that this doesn't get forgotten... Any progress?
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
Red*Star
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Red*Star »

Don't be afraid, I don't have forgotten it :D. I wanted to update the status so or so:

I have just sought some advice from Michael Blunck about station coding and that has confirmed my considerations: Station coding is damn complicated if you use non-standard layouts.

Because I don't have the time to learning coding in that detail, here is my "advertisement" ;) :
Every coder out there which has free time and interest to code this station is invited to volunteer for it. (Don't expect it to be a simple task :roll:)

(You can mail me or post here, but please no PMs - simple because I never pay attention to my new TTD forums messages folder... :lol:)

PS: If nobody wants to code this, the only thing I could offer is to code this station myself, but then just in a way that every tile/platform has to be placed individually and not with the auto-multi-platform-thingumajig of TTD...
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

i was quite impressed by the coding so far though. but hey, ask Aegir. i simply drop his name everywhere, so he's bound to notice it sometime.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Red*Star wrote:I have just sought some advice from Michael Blunck about station coding and that has confirmed my considerations: Station coding is damn complicated if you use non-standard layouts.
It's even more complex if you want to code them like MB's stations.
From what I've heard some of the code in it is meant to be seriously complex. :shock:

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

A reason I added in-byte-data-comments to grfcodec :)

Looking forward to see this nice station in a grf...
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
Red*Star
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Red*Star »

eis_os wrote:A reason I added in-byte-data-comments to grfcodec :)

Looking forward to see this nice station in a grf...
If that will be the case at all... until yet nobody evinced interest for the coding part (uuhm, and yes, I can understand that hundred per cent ;) ), so it seems I have to contact Aegir or who else is a good station coder myself.

Apart from that I'm currently cutting down the whole station. Because that's really not a nice work, although I implemented some automatism routines for it, here is something more interesting for you: How it could look like some day in the game...
Attachments
hml_fakedscreenshot.png
hml_fakedscreenshot.png (154.1 KiB) Viewed 7228 times
Like sun is to the dark soil,
so is true enlightenment to the soil's friends.

N.F.S. Grundtvig
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

Except that openTTD doesn't support newstations yet.

peter1138!
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Yes hurry up peter1138! We can't rely on only waypoints forever!
Red*Star
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Red*Star »

Well, for the time in between we have still TTDPatch...

N.F.S. Grundtvig
Red*Star
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Red*Star »

Sorry for being so lazy, but I had many other things to do in the last time. 3 months have passed, but now I'm back ;) ... and, well...

jamesvassie wrote:Holy COW! :shock:

That is amazing Red*Star! I think we need to hand this over to someone like Aegir and get it coded! I wanna play with it now! :D

Also, got any plans to do more? I hope so! :wink:

James

...with some new stuff in the pockets.

The new station you can see in the attachment I've created recently. It's still in alpha or beta state or something, and because I'm working on it, it's already a little bit more developed than on the picture you can see. It's a little bit inspired by the new German Berlin Hauptbahnhof (which is, translated, Berlin main station, its old name is "Berlin Lehrter Bahnhof"), but only a little bit - Berlin has flat ends, no ellipsed ends for the big glass hall, and the latter one is also white/grey, not greenish.

Then there are these tiny little platforms with glass roofs, its stilts have *some* similarity with the train station stilts of the city I live in (Jena), although I could not transport much of the original design into the game because the details get much to small in TTD.

And THEN, there is my (partly already carried out) plan to make these three stations/sprites (Hannover-Messe-, Jena-, Berlin-like) fully interchangeable/customizable, so that they can be merged together and above all look good when placed together.

Just a "little" bit coding work has to be done for that... :roll:

In the time between you could just write what type of addons you would like to have concerning train station forecourts, the appearance of my new hypermodern-trainstation layout and the models in general. Constructive criticism is very welcome, cause I have the feeling that the new station is just... erm... to big? Uummm...
Attachments
JenenserBahnsteige.png
JenenserBahnsteige.png (3.01 KiB) Viewed 6472 times
2modern_ts.png
2modern_ts.png (98.58 KiB) Viewed 6476 times
1modern_ts.png
1modern_ts.png (83.35 KiB) Viewed 6470 times

N.F.S. Grundtvig
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

bloody hell! :shock:
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Red*Star
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Red*Star »

Ok... the first two reactions seem to be positive. :D

So I can now also present the small hall for uneven numbers of train-occupied platforms. (The pillars, windows and pseudo-shadows for the last two big halls are omitted because I just wanted to see if the roof of big and small halls fit together.)
You can also see a skywalk as in the Hannover station, just for fun adopted to this station design. This is the last version for today, I wish a good n8 (at least for the european users of this forum ;) ).
Attachments
modern.png
modern.png (93.25 KiB) Viewed 6442 times

N.F.S. Grundtvig
Dave

Post by Dave »

Add a third positive comment. How futuristic and awesome does that roof look!
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...

Return to “Graphics Development”