IRC rules

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

DominionSpy
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DominionSpy »

ChrisCF (chirho) is probably going to ban me from #tycoon again for posting this, but who cares?

I think enough is enough - if we are going to have an 'official' channel for the forums, we need sensible operators. I'm fed up of chirho banning people (including me) for minor things.

For example, earlier today a few of us were having a little fun communicating only via /me messages (it describes what someone is doing - eg *dominionspy goes and checks his diary). There were no other conversations going on at the time and nobody in the channel seemed to mind. Then chirho came along and started saying that we should all stop it. When we didn't he banned us all (not permanently).

Now chirho set up the channel, and that's great, but he shouldn't use that as an excuse to do whatever he wants. When asked what his good reason for banning us, he answered that it was annoying him and since he was the channel creator he could do whatever he wanted and make all the rules.

Is it just me or is that not a very good attitude for an operator?

Another instance fairly soon after, while we were 'discussing' his attitude we had this conversation:
<chirho> What I'm disputing was your having a laugh at my expense
<chirho> More accurately,
<chirho> being annoying and having a laugh at my expense.
<chirho> And then expecting to still be in this channel :P
<dominionspy> You had a laugh at my expense so why shouldn't I
<dominionspy> ?
<chirho> Because I have an @ by my name, whereas you're powerless to stop me ;)
<chirho> j/k
[Ed - you'd think he was actually j/k-ing, wouldn't you?]
<dominionspy> There was no real reason to ban me - you were just abusing your powers
<broodje> I can only agree with dominionspy, but what would chirho care?
<broodje> as long as he is hapy
<chirho> Rule #1. Do not argue wiht operators over the rules.
<chirho> Rule #2. What the operators say, goes.
<broodje> chirho bit easy to hide behind that isnt it?
<chirho> That pretty much sums up IRC
<dominionspy> not on a channel like this - you are answerable to the members
<chirho> Why am I answerable ot the members?
<dominionspy> because of the nature of the channel - it is the official tt-forums channel
<chirho> And?
<dominionspy> if you abuse the op powers, people can complain
<chirho> I founded this channel. I'm not answerable to anyone that doesn't have an @
<chirho> End of story.
[More exchanges over his 'policy']
<chirho> And enough arguing over my policy.
<dominionspy> chirho: any way - you are now not welcome in my channels
* chirho sets mode +b *!*@dominionspy.users.quakenet.org
* You have been kicked by chirho ([12:03:24] <chirho> And enough arguing over my policy.)

I personally don't think I was still arguing over his policy, but any way.

If he takes this stance, then why not just create a new channel where we can all converse without being banned for stupid things like that?
You're saying I'm a Dominion spy, and don't even know it! - Dr. Bashir
That's the Joker in my avatar, not me. No wait it is me.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

dominionspy, and for that matter anyone else who participated in the /me conversation, uh and anyone else who is reading this really, in my opinion it's common sense that: If ANYONE tells you to stop doing ANYTHING because he/she doesn't like you doing it, then STOP. It's better for everyone. You might be having fun doing that something, but if someone else thinks it's annoying then it IS annoying. Find some other way of having fun, or do it somewhere else.
And it DOES NOT matter who tells you to stop! Operator or brand new user, no difference, they're both humans.
That's the point of the #tycoon IRC channel. To make sure everyone has a good time. It's probably the same for the forums.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I don't see why we all take it easy. If you are fed up by ChrisCF's behaviour you should avoid interactions with him. And the other way round too, unless the operator feels the need to speak up. Remember that this is a channel about something fun: a computergame. Don't crush one anothers skull about such small things.
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

I'm not going to answer to dominionspy, simply because it's not the place of normal users to question the policy of a channel operator. Not only that, but this is not the place to comlpain about it. I must say that I agree wholeheartedly with what G4S says above. In any case, remember that when an operator tells you to shut up, as well as the matter of courtesy, bear in nind that they have the tools to make you shut up, and will probably have no problem in using them.

For once, I have to agree with Hyronymus' advice. If you don't like the way you are treated on the IRC channel, nobody forces you to join it.

dominionspy, that's now both of the people that founded this channel that have answered you (and you won't get anyone higher than that). I hope you are proud of yourself for the fuss you've caused. Have a nice day.
Bugzilla available for use - PM for details.
mp3Pro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mp3Pro »

hmmm has elitisim reared its ugly head?? stay tuned......
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

It's IRC. Get over it :)
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

so I wish you all luck .... I decided not to visit channel again
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
broodje
Director
Director

Post by broodje »

I must say that I feel tempted to not visit again, I dont mind the fact you dont want any discusion about the rules, but after you banned him and me you start bragging about it:

[19:16] <chirho> Hmm... someone is complaining about their treatment on IRC on the forums.
[19:16] <chirho> That's all very well, but when you do something wrong and are punished reasonably, you have no right to complain.
[19:17] <chirho> "I stop for 5 minutes and you gave me a parknig ticket?"
19:17] <chirho> I'm just fobbing it off with a "you don't really have a right to complain, and this forum certainly isn't the place to do it."

fobbing it off, gee are you realy that childich chris? I just have the impresion you cant handle any power at all.

I dont like the fact I got banned, but I can live with it. But the way you banned me made me realy mad. You acted like the litle boy bullying his little sister just becouse he can.

aarg while I'm writing this:
[22:13] <chirho> Tell me oyu don't have anything else to say on that.
[22:13] <chirho> It's bad enough that dominionspy made an idiot of himself in front of the forums earlier

why are you doing this? it doesnt get you anywhere? What is it that you want to show? You got an @ and I dont? wow what a cool guy are you, wish I could ban people....

Anyway I dont like my post, and I realy dont like complaing about people like this, but the is a line you crosed chirho, mod powers dont give you the right to do anything you want.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

IRC is a very different medium to the forums, and basically, what the IRC op says goes. It may seem unfair at times, but I'm afraid that's the way it is.
broodje
Director
Director

Post by broodje »

As I said i understand that, but I just get the feeling chris cant handle that power. I'm not questioning the rules, neither the reason I was kicked and banned for some time. I'm questioning the absolute power chris has and the way he uses it. He uses it to be funny? or is he just childish I dont know. Anyway, I think he should remember he got that powers and shouldnt use them the way bush uses his army thats all.
Lilman424
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lilman424 »

hey, don't go bringing us into this now.
Politics and IRC opping are very different.....-_-
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

This practically sums up why I never IRC :lol:

I once said, "what a moderator says goes", they all laughed and continued
You operators have much power :shock:

And btw. if I were to laugh with someone or have fun with him, then I wouldn't mind the reverse
If you can't take something then don't do it either
Andrex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Andrex »

If someone has a remote idea on how to setup a fserve and create triggers, plz let me know using the medium you like most. andrex3000@hotmail.com or pm or whatever.

I managed to create them yars ago when I used mIRC, but I completely forgot.
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

No, because these are not allowed on the channel for any reason whatsoever.
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

hmm well I do have a working fserve on my WackoIRC script...

mostly you just do

on *:text:!serveme:?: {
fserve $nick <homedir> <welcome.txt>
}

and then people would be able to MSG you with the message !serveme and it would give them permission to browse your fserve :)
:)
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
alphanumeric
Director
Director

Post by alphanumeric »

how many people are typically in the tycoon forum? is it pretty active?

also.. how do I get their..what server is it on?
Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Rob »

irc://splatterworld.de.quakenet.org/tycoon
Wie zich gelukkig voelt met het geluk van anderen, bezit een rijkdom zonder grenzen. (F.Daels)
Still the best OS around
RaptorTycoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by RaptorTycoon »

alphanumeric wrote:how many people are typically in the tycoon forum? is it pretty active?

also.. how do I get their..what server is it on?
Yup, many peeps on there..
Call me.. Raptor ;)
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

Rob wrote:irc://splatterworld.de.quakenet.org/tycoon
Even better would be

irc://irc.quakenet.org/tycoon :)
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
CombatGold1
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CombatGold1 »

dominionspy wrote:ChrisCF (chirho) is probably going to ban me from #tycoon again for posting this, but who cares? ... etc save reading space look at his post above
well if your that bothered about it then make another channel! it isnt hard :P just keep at least 5 people in for 2 hours, u got yaself an L Bot.
Thanks,
Adam Reece.

Return to “Off-Topic”