Is Chris taking advantage of his die-hard fans?

The "spiritual sequel" to Transport Tycoon Deluxe: Chris Sawyer's Locomotion is the latest game from him - general discussion about it here please!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

jpinard
Engineer
Engineer

Is Chris taking advantage of his die-hard fans?

Post by jpinard »

Think about this... Who's going to buy this game?

#1 - Roller Coaster Tycoon fans.
#2 - (old) Transport Tycoon fans.
#3 - new people? No way.

So looking at RCT and TT, Locomation has a lot of important features left out and takes some steps backwards. Especially in replacing units. The game has ugly graphics compared to all newer games being released, so it certainly will not appeal to the younger (graphic) crowd, which means it was intended for "us".
Chris is pretty darn wealthy now, so it's now like he has the normal pressures other developer's do. Would it have been that hard to have a "replace all" option in the game? Railroad Tycoon 3 has it...

There's a fine line between simply being lazy, and truly taking advantage of people...

Sorry, I just hate doing the same thing 70+ times in a row. Replace bus, replace bus, replace bud, replace bus... replace (dang it this is not fun anymore!)
dizcon
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by dizcon »

What all other games? The only recent similar game is Transport Giant, which is only good for making great-looking screenshots.
I don't miss a replace all function, but the way vehicles just stop working after a few years is stupid. Most airlines don't run their aircrafts until they stop. An imaginary service now and then, would do the trick.

I suppose they couldn't name it Transport Tycoon 2, so to squeeze the most out of it, they put his name in the title. I think it's okay, still love the game.
jpinard
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jpinard »

Well I guess all other games was referring to the RRT series, and anohter game that's over 10 year's old (TTD).

This ferels more like a $15 budget title than a full sim. Sorry Chris, but I expect better from you...
zathras
Engineer
Engineer

Post by zathras »

I'm enjoying Locomotion, but I was also expecting a bit more. Seems more like TTD 1.5 rather than 2.0.

Maybe part of the charm was the simple graphics. I'm glad he did go full 3D, but 3D locked in an isometric view might have been nice.

SimCity comes to mind when I think of comparisons as far as graphics go. Problaby a lot of difference in the graphics engine, but it uses the same isometric view for game play. Buildings, roads, landscapes, etc look pretty nice.

Is there a reason why Locomotion's buildings, landscapes, etc could not have looked more like this (even pre-rendered)?:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/sim ... index.html

Maybe the $29 price tag and the fact that there was no a multi-person development team is the reason.

I also think there was a lot of feeback from the fan base available to Chris regarding improvements to the game play, UI, etc. It seems like something as simple as a better way to replace old vehicles, etc should have been addressed.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to any improvements from Atari or the mod community. It's still a great game.
Ethan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ethan »

I do feel that this game is .. poorly put together.

It is like a snap-on game for every one to play - getting part of other games (RCT to be specific) and put things together then label it "Chris Sawyer's Locomotion" and ship them out.

I dont like some of things in game.

Locomotion has potential to be great and RCT should not be part of Locomotion at all!! There is no uniqueness in Locomotion...

I feel like Locomotion is spinoff of RCT.. not TTD... :roll:
Pinkyoz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pinkyoz »

Generally speaking I agree with most of what has been said here, the game isn't brilliant, but it is enjoyable, there are some good additions and overall its a reasonably good successor to TT.*

The reason that we may not have got everything we wanted is because of the risk involved in the project, many commentators are still saying that TT was a "Sleeper hit", a good game with low sales, and obviously making sequel to games like that, even a decade later, must represent at least a moderate risk for both developers and publishers alike.

If the sales are positive on this game, then there may be an expansion or sequel; and I will bet that it will be pretty close to what we want as a community from the game. Except for the fact that the game does have a budget price (in most places), and it should attract some new players who are looking for a budget title that’s of reasonable quality.

Pinkyoz

* I'm basing this on the demo
Carskick
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Carskick »

I think there are a lot of good additions to the game, yet it still needs a few improvements to become perfected. It feels like a beta version. I hope Chris will listen to our feedback and patch the game to make it just as good as we thought TTDX was 10 years ago. I still think it's a good game, but it needs some improvements still. I think he was rushed to release the game. Although he says he's actually been working on this game since 96', the code was adapted for RCT, then RCT2, then Locomotion. It's like taking an MP3, converting it to WMA, then OGG, then back to MP3; you loose some quality in the conversion. :?

As far as looking like Sim City 4, that is not likely to happen. Sim City 4 is a very computer intensice game, and requires a good video card to generate those graphics. It is also gitchy, and has artifacts as a result with some drivers, such as with my FX5600 ultra. Anyways, the graphics are the least of my worries in this game (except for the airplane movement). I think it has a fairly real look about it. Hopefully Chris is working on a patch for this game right now as we speak. Err type.
Been playing Transport Tycoon since 1994.

My computer information site: http://www.freewebs.com/computerfacts/
Kuplo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kuplo »

If I had to complain :oops: about one thing in this game, and one thing only it would be the fact that I have to find every bus, every tram, every train and manually upgrade them by stopping them, then deleting the original loco, or bus, or tram, then adding a new one. This drives me NUTS! Theres no fun in that. In fact it's so UNFUN to me that I no longer extensively use busses in the early years at all. If I can't do it with a tram, or a train, then I dont do it. I dont play the senarios that came with the game, but rather my own senarios, but still if I have to use a bus, I'd really rather not.

My most busses in use was around 45 when I started to notice they were breaking down all the time. I soon deleted all 45 busses and tore down the bus stops in their areas because it was too much of a pain.

At least with trains I dont need all that many trains to easily bring my bank account over the 1,000,000 marker so upgrading them every now and then doesnt seem all that bad, but when you have 45 busses and 30 trams, it's just not worth the effort.

Heck, I wouldnt even mind it that much if on the list of all busses or all trams that they had a button that let me upgrade and choose which bus or tram to upgrade to, or replace button to replace the old bus with a new bus, then show me the current reliability of the bus or tram in question in that main listing of all our vehicles so that I could do it all from there. That seems to make more sence to me.

I can't even fathom how Chris Sawyer could have played this game extensively and not been bothered by having to upgrade or replace 100 busses and trams every so often. Perhaps he knows how annoying it is and will make it available in an expansion pack, maybe the coding is already in the game and it just needs to be activated in an expansion. Hmmmmmm 8)
jpinard
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jpinard »

Chris is a multi-millionaire now, so cost/risk is not a factor. It was his risk and his project - not Atari's. The only person who'd lose out for the extra 2 weeks of development to "finish the game" is himself. I'm mystified as to what happened to the CS of old, not this CS "bilk 'em for every dollar" person we have now. Greed sucks.
Lugat
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lugat »

I dunno why you are all complaining.
I'd give the game a 65 out of 100 points which isn't bad, it means: above average. When a patch comes out (and I guess there will be a patch) that fixes vehicle replacement by either an option to remove it or with the addition to use depots it will get 75 points.
See, they major problem is vehicle breakdown and I think Chris is intelligent enough to make a patch for that since he wants this game to be sold.
Before I complain I will wait for a patch if the patch adds nothing then I will go on complaining. :p
Kuplo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kuplo »

Personally I think it's kind of funny that they used his name in the title. It's rather like when Alice came out and they called it American McGees Alice. They were shooting for people that knew his name to buy it, just like it seems they are going on Chris Sawyers name for people to buy Loco, also on the box, something about "from the person that brought you Roller Coaster Tycoon", or something like that.
Kuplo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kuplo »

Lugat wrote:I dunno why you are all complaining.
I'd give the game a 65 out of 100 points which isn't bad, it means: above average. When a patch comes out (and I guess there will be a patch) that fixes vehicle replacement by either an option to remove it or with the addition to use depots it will get 75 points.
See, they major problem is vehicle breakdown and I think Chris is intelligent enough to make a patch for that since he wants this game to be sold.
Before I complain I will wait for a patch if the patch adds nothing then I will go on complaining. :p
Im clueless here, how many patches were given out for RCT? I just dont want to be holding my breath for something that may never come. Whereas if he put out a patch or two for RCT, then I'll continue holding my breath that he'll put out a patch for Locomotion too.

Clue me in here.
Lugat
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lugat »

My point is:
Complaining 4 days after release is quite pointless.
Wait, let's say 2 weeks at least if a patch is announced everything will be fine (I hope so at least). If no patch is in the works something went horribly wrong and we can complain about each and every flaw in the game but I'm still hoping to get a patch so I don't see a reason to complain.
That's all ;)

Sorry for my English
jpinard
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jpinard »

EDITED BY JPINARD

<<If someone can get through to him that would be grea - find out if he's going to fix these issuest>>
Last edited by jpinard on 13 Sep 2004 05:16, edited 1 time in total.
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

Basically it all comes down to one thing: that poor reliability and the need to replace vehicles one by one
We all know it by now and I wish we'd stop making topics about it

Giving the price I paid for it I think I got a good bargain, once you accept the negative points and take these into consideration once you start building transport systems, it's actually not that bad

People compare it too much with TTD
I'm sure Chris knows about our complaints and will conisder changing stuff
I bet there is a patch due in the following month
Well, back to work, lot's of it in the near future
Pinkyoz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pinkyoz »

jpinard wrote:Chris is a multi-millionaire now, so cost/risk is not a factor. It was his risk and his project - not Atari's. The only person who'd lose out for the extra 2 weeks of development to "finish the game" is himself. I'm mystified as to what happened to the CS of old, not this CS "bilk 'em for every dollar" person we have now. Greed sucks.
Hold the phone! That’s pretty harsh.

Ok, I don't mean to be rude but do we really know if he's a multi-millionaire? And if so are we completely sure that he let factors like his wealth control his output?

Next, all projects have risk, including the project of distributing a game, there are fixed costs involved with distribution, and obviously Atari can't guarantee that they will make their investment back through sales, especially on a niche product like Locomotion.

Now obviously I don't know the guy either, so I can't say for sure that he didn't let greed control his development process, however let's not jump to conclusions. If you don't like the game that’s your business, but don't (publicly) vilify people for a perceived lack of quality.

Pinkyoz
Lugat
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lugat »

spaceman-spiff wrote:Basically it all comes down to one thing: that poor reliability and the need to replace vehicles one by one
We all know it by now and I wish we'd stop making topics about it

Giving the price I paid for it I think I got a good bargain, once you accept the negative points and take these into consideration once you start building transport systems, it's actually not that bad

People compare it too much with TTD
I'm sure Chris knows about our complaints and will conisder changing stuff
I bet there is a patch due in the following month

100% agreed :)
jpinard
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jpinard »

I wouldn't state what's written above if it were'nt true. I'd known Chris since well before the original Roller Coaster Tycoon was released, and we used to chat via e-mail, but that stopped just before the original RCT came out. He also used to have a diary on his site, in which he talked about aspects of his life, and yes he IS a multi-millionaire.

Also, if I remember the interview correctly, Atari didn't want to publish Locomotion and would not foot the bill, it was Chris who took on the development cost himself. That sounds all noble until you realize he only has to worry about himself and 2 others... that's not that great of a risk to someone who has $$$$$ Chris is simply finishing "his" game he started 7 years ago.

Money? Unless he's fiscally retarded I'm sure he's set for the next 30 years.
Ethan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ethan »

Lugat, complaining about us complainers is pointless :wink:

Anyway, For (usa) 25 bucks - cant complain the quality of the game - agreed

However - we have been playing TTD for so long time we had high expectations for locomotion due to the fact that the programming skills of Chris Sawyer's is good and his successful RCT games , that we would expect the same quality he put in Locomotion but I guess we were wrong.

Granted there are A LOT of great graphics and features - its nice. but .. graphics dont make game .. great. its how the game is played. I am definitely disappointed on how the game is played that is all. I am grateful that its not usual price tag $49.95 or higher.

Regards,
Ethan
jpinard
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jpinard »

Maybe part of my problem is that there's no official place to get feedback from Chris. This is NOT an Atari game. This is a Chris Sawyer game... Atari made the box and that's it.

The other issue is that Chris rarely releases patches for his games.

Return to “General Locomotion”