Creating deserts in the sub-tropical climate

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Creating deserts in the sub-tropical climate

Post by Sanchimaru »

This is a feature, not for the game itself, but rather for the map creator.
I found it almost impossible to create a clean desert with the map editor that comes with the game.
I don't know of external programs that allow you to create more effectively maps, but I'd like some new patch feature to do something that looks very simple, but that might be hard to code: To put desert tiles there where you wanted them to be. The map editor as it is, instead generates random desert areas within a near zone.

Shall it be possible that upon clicking with "desert" selected, the clicked tile either:
> with 1 click it becomes half/desert, by clicking once again, it becomes full desert. (sort of what happens with planting trees: each click adds a tree)
> by clicking on a tile, sets it to full desert, and the surrounding 8 tiles become half/desert.

I know nothing abouy coding, so I cannot give any idea of how could this be done.

Thanks
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Barging in here as OTTD advocate, what do you mean exactly?

A half-desert is a tile between full desert and non-desert. You want to place half-desert areas manually? Or drag-drop desert tiles (which is a must) ?
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

The problem is that it doesn't work as well as it should. There are some tiles that no matter how much you rub them by dragging, will never become desert. Why shall the desert areas be created by dragging? why can't you just "put" them as you put the rocks, the lighthouses, and the comm towers? with one sinlge click. Not to have to rub the desk with the mouse for half an hour to get a 12x12 square of desert

I understand that there are some other features more urgent to be done, that affect gameplay.
But if this is not too hard to do, I know that the map creators would be grateful for this. And new maps are always interesting, even as much as new features for the game.
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

You must've misunderstood something, because you cannot drag the 'desert' tool. You click once, that tile is made into full desert and the 4 surrounding will be half-desert....at least now. Rocks/Lighthouses, etc. you also place one by one.
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

You don't understand what I mean. The desert tool doesn't work like the rocks or the lighthouses at all. Those are placed inmediately and absolutely. The desert tiles are placed... or not; and after a time.
Please, take a look at the screenshot: I created a new map, ang raised a alnd area the biggest possible. After clicking one by one in all of the tiles, there are many that remain half-desert.
I clicked a second row only on the ones still half-desert and they didn't change at all.
Then, I dynamited the half-desert tiles so that they became bare land, and they still were half desert.

Do you undertand now what I mean? It is not possible to create a desert under these conditions...
Attachments
SCR2.png
SCR2.png (16.47 KiB) Viewed 1770 times
ConductorBob
Director
Director

Post by ConductorBob »

I think he wants to say that he may want to make a solid desert map, but the creator makes it impossible.
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

I just want to make a desert... a desert area, not a whole map covered with desert. But if you take a look at the screenshot, you'll realize it is impossible.
I want a desert just like the ones you get by generating a random map

Return to “Suggestions”