Graphics for new UK locomotives

Discuss, get help with, or post new modifications, graphics or related tools for Locomotion in this forum.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

qzdcg8
Engineer
Engineer

Graphics for new UK locomotives

Post by qzdcg8 »

To those who are creating new UK locomotives for Locomotion (and I don't know yet how to do it), I have the wherewithall to generate for you the images for almost any diesel, electric, multiple unit or steamer in a fairly straightforward manner (without using 3DMax etc). I would just need to know the image sizes and loco orientations required.

Anyone interested?
Attachments
As an example - here's a Black 5
As an example - here's a Black 5
Black5.jpg (13.79 KiB) Viewed 12861 times
Steve N
Hamish McTycoon
Engineer
Engineer

cool

Post by Hamish McTycoon »

that does look ver good. if it was a 3d model it'b be brilliant. however, you do know that you would need 130 different pictures of that engine from different angles to make the model work? i dont suppose you can alter the angel when you create the picture, however youre doing it?
blackfour
Engineer
Engineer

Post by blackfour »

That'd be very interesting...if you could do some more tank locos that'd be wonderful...and some goods locos, such as an 8F, 9F etc, they're sorely needed...
Tom
Der_tolle_Emil
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Der_tolle_Emil »

I think it would be really cool for someone to make fictitious revisions of the Jinty. Going from steam powered over diesel/overhead wired to monorail/maglev or whatever. I don't know, the Jinty has been THE engine par excellance for my tt playing friends and me. We even thought about naming a dog Jinty once - although more jokingly of course.

Commenting on that model: Looks really nice.
Daan Timmer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Daan Timmer »

well thats something I would never be able to make

Not even in a 1000 yeartimes :)

"Your arguments are totally nothing.. They have so little meaning that its kind of funny you took the time to write them"
"your pixels aren't good enough to talk to me.. sorry"
"Random does not mean fair, and past results do not influence future occurrences." - Corbenn
Shifty Powers
Director
Director

Post by Shifty Powers »

This looks great m8, when it's released I gonna use it in Locomotion. Keep on the good work :lol: :lol:
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

Images generated and rendered without the use of a 3D modelling kit with automation? Why do I get the feeling that someone will be breaking their Print Screen button in MS Train Sim? ;)
qzdcg8
Engineer
Engineer

Post by qzdcg8 »

ChrisCF wrote:Images generated and rendered without the use of a 3D modelling kit with automation? Why do I get the feeling that someone will be breaking their Print Screen button in MS Train Sim? ;)
Close... but no cigar. Have you seen decapod's Shape Viewer utility for MSTS engines? This has got an orthogonal view mode it in (apparently added just for Locomotion modders) and I can drive the viewer for this tool programmatically such that you can pick an MSTS loco and the tool would load the model in, spin it round in all the orientations required and generate a bitmap for each one of the right size. All I need is the specifications of the orientations, how big the images have to be and how they should be named. Anyone wish to collaborate with me?

Oh I forgot to add, if I can do an automnated job on this, there's no reason why it should be limited to UK stuff - that's just what I've got access to personally.
Steve N
Der_tolle_Emil
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Der_tolle_Emil »

I fear those models are too detailed. Reducing their size might result in a blurry bunch of pixels. For example the thingies on the wheel - I don't know what they are called, not even in my mother tounge - might result in a grey spot on the bottom. Manually edting out those afterwards may require more effort than it would take to render a simple 3d model.

But someone should give it a try. I for myself do not know the values you want (although I have seen them very detailed in a thread here).
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

you can render you vehicles as large as on 256x256 file, but you have to try keep the trains to locomotions scale(otherwise a smallest shunter can look bigger than your massive electric in loco)
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

And maybe the lights too, they're too small to be rendered*, I think...

* Does LoMo has lights on locos too, just like TT?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

yes light in Locomotion still comes from right..
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

I was talking about the lights of the train, you know, those light emitting things that are white at the front and red at the end of the train... not the light effects :wink: :lol:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Der_tolle_Emil
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Der_tolle_Emil »

I cannot even remember seeing them in tt :)

Do you mean simple lights that are drawn in the sprite itself or did tt render them in afterwards?
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

I know for sure the road vehicles have them for brakes and such. See no reason trains wouldn't.
qzdcg8
Engineer
Engineer

Post by qzdcg8 »

Well here's a screenshot from my first attempt at this.

What you can see is 42 of 136 images auto generated from an MSTS model of the early EM1 Electric Loco. This is based on another thread of what size the images should be 128x96 and what the display angles shoud be.
Attachments
42 auto generated shots of an EM1 electric loco
42 auto generated shots of an EM1 electric loco
EM1-26020.png (176.29 KiB) Viewed 1437 times
3 x view of one image
3 x view of one image
EM1-26020-Close-Up.png (7.12 KiB) Viewed 12607 times
Steve N
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Nope, no lights in that loco
Der_tolle_Emil wrote:Do you mean simple lights that are drawn in the sprite itself or did tt render them in afterwards?
Just a few simpel pixels with a bright yellow or white color. Like in TT. (You can see them in my signature)
Image Image
qzdcg8
Engineer
Engineer

Post by qzdcg8 »

Now I'm getting somehwere - I grabbed the NL loco pack and dug out the NS1500 - for those that don't know these were English EM2's (slightly stretched EM1's) sold to the Dutch in 1969 - I have done a compare with between their rendition and mine (I notice their picture size is 240x240)
Attachments
EM1 VS NS1500.png
EM1 VS NS1500.png (7.95 KiB) Viewed 12589 times
Steve N
blackfour
Engineer
Engineer

Post by blackfour »

That EM1 looks marvellous! Perfect for starting electric services in the early 50's rather than the 60's...i can't wait for you to release it!
Tom
Der_tolle_Emil
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Der_tolle_Emil »

Looks a bit dark. Hopefully it blends in nicely with the rest of locomotion as it sure has more of that realistic touch instead of looking hand drawn like the rest of loco

Return to “Locomotion Graphics, Modifications & Tools”