[RFD] Research

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

[RFD] Research

Post by Hyronymus »

FRD wrote:The player can invest an amount of funds into research, which will grant him earlier access to certain vehicles.

The R&D facility will allow the player/ai to build better vehicles (like increase power, lower running cost etc).[...]
By doing research you can gain advantages compared to your rivals, such as faster planes, more efficient RV's or high-capacity ships. I have an idea how to make this work. Suggest you let your R&D research more efficient steam engines and end up with this invention: the overheater! How can we possibly transfer any benefits from research to the performance of vehicles? Perhaps we can add variables to several figures that are important for the vehicles. I.e. the annual costs, speed, power and perhaps even TE. Since the overheater made the steam use more efficient you could multiply the annual costs with a factor 0,88 i.e..

I gave this subject the RFD tag because I can imagine it's not something everybody wants. Please tell me what you guys think.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

from: http://tt2.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.p ... #Zuus_list
me@wiki wrote:Timeline:Research: Here we need to discuss if we should follow the the 'real' timeline, or if we should use a more or less research based system. - I would vote for following the timeline, or inexact capabilities to choose what to research for. Rather RCT(chose which sort of atractions to reserach on) like researching that FreeCiv(choose exact which teach to research on) like.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
PJayTycy
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by PJayTycy »

Although I like the research tree of civilization etc, I think it should stay there. A transport game doesn't really needs a "research" component. I would vote for "just follow the timeline".
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

PJayTycy wrote:Although I like the research tree of civilization etc, I think it should stay there. A transport game doesn't really needs a "research" component. I would vote for "just follow the timeline".
I agree on that. Becuse researching is just one thing to much.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

Some basic research is nice, but anything deeper than that and the game starts turning into *Civ* (for want of a better pattern to match against). Even if we don't implement research into technologies, we could always implement a technology system such that people can "lock out" certain features when preparing a scenario, e.g. no supersonic jets, no electric trains, etc.
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

I think it wouldn't be too much if researching let you get things faster, rather than different thing altogether. Get £10,000 a year and you'll research that Gigondo A45 and it'll take a couple of months before Average Joe can handle such technology!

It would be a risky business, 10,000 here, which may not be too helpful overall. (Eg, if you research a toaster). Perhaps nice to see some "Research wars" between companies, both needing the best of the best to steal the CitysVille passenger market!
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

My inspiration for this feature was indeed the 'research wars' that lasted between the major British railroads and the major French railroads.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Vote:
  • 1. No research at all
  • 2. Much control of what to resarch (can choose: new electric engine with much hp)
  • 3. Moderate control of what to research (can choose: locos)
  • 4. Low control of what to research (can choose: vehicles)
  • 5. Gain new vehicles, tracks types, buildings etc earlier.
  • 6. Improve existing techs.
Choose:
  • 1 or 2 or 3 or 4
  • 5 and/or 6
Hellfire

Post by Hellfire »

I vote 6
Feel free to contact me over Email! My current timezone: Europe/Amsterdam (GMT+1 or GMT+2)

Code: Select all

+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+
[ General TE Discussion ] [ TE Development ] [ TE Coding ]
Under construction...
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

I vote 1.
Let's not forget that we're stuck with real-life vehicles anyway.
uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator
Transport Empire Moderator

Post by uzurpator »

I vote 6
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

I vote 1.
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Hellfire wrote:I vote 6
You have to select 2,3 or 4 too.

I vote 1.
Grunt
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Grunt »

I vote 4, 5, and 6. You're running a transport company here, folks, not a research institution; you're not doing research on your own, but you can certainly fund development by one of the companies that's doing vehicle development to get something out the door faster (and earlier access to prototype vehicles!).
Grunt
(aka Stephan Grunt, CEO of Grunt Transport Inc. since 1994.)
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

It's either 2, 5 and 6 or 4, 5 and 6 for me. I reckon the difficulty you create when allowing players to research their own vehicles. It would also conflict with the unspoken desire of many of us to add real life vehicles to the game. These real life vehicles would come out with unrealistic stats as a result of profound researching. Hence, 4, 5 and 6.
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

Meeting Decisions:

- From forums:
3. Moderate control of what to research (can choose: locos)
5. Gain new vehicles, tracks types, buildings etc earlier.
6. Improve existing techs.

Topic locked, discussion continued here (08112006).

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”