[RFD]Can several companies add elements to the same station?

Development discussion about Transport Empire. Other discussion to General forum please.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

[RFD]Can several companies add elements to the same station?

Post by Zuu »

In stead of make the [RFD] Sharing of infrastructure topic eaven more messy I have created a seperate topic for this question. That is close to the sharing topic but not realy the same.

Station = at least one airport, train platform, RV terminal, or dock.

Question: Will several companies be able to add airports, train platforms, RV terminals, and/or docks to a tation, or will only the orginal constructor of the station be able to add new parts?

Notes
I think that we should allow players to set an option that other companies would not be able to add components to your station, becuse else we will end up with a situation where players will buy all the land around or build junk rail or anything to prevent other companies to place station components close to thier existing stations.

I think this question is quite intdependent from the sharing decission. Allthrought I think this can be more imporant if we reject the posibility to drive your vehicles into anouther companys platforms / docks / RV terminals.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Docks and Airports should be the only stations that are initiated and funded by the player but owned by the Local Authority in my opinion.

Airports are constructed with the common necessities for any player who will use the station: taxi lanes + control tower. On the airport terrain are two reserved areas: 1 for building hangars and 1 for building terminals.

Docks are constructed with the single common necessity for all players: the dock's administrative office. On the dock terrain there are two reserved areas: 1 for placing docking spots + 1 for building 'ship depots'.

With this seemingly OT reply you avoid the question if competitors should be allowed to add other station types to your station for airports and docks. I don't think having competitors adding (different) station types to your station is desirable. At least it undermines the necessity of a shared infrastructure feature.
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

The owner of the station should be responsible for upgrades. I suppose they could sell the station to someone else if they weren't bothered with it anymore.

Hyr, why should the LA own docks and airports? Even though the players build them? I've asked many times and you have yet to answer me!
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Then I'll answer it for the 3rd time: to avoid having each company build individual airports. This is highly unrealistic and it claims too much land IMO. For docks I for a while thought the same but I changed my mind on docks.
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

There is a difference between an LA owning an airport and on restricting someone from building one. If i build an airport i intend to use fully, so i have no space to rent out to other people.. if it's owned by the LA, does that mean the LA decides who gets to use the airport? I paid for it.. i don't want to be disadvantaged by someone else using MY airport.
If the LA paid for it, then whatever. But i strongly think the person who built the airport, should own it and decide on any and all upgrades to it as well as dealing with other companies sharing.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I thought we voted about this 2/3 weeks ago, Steve. Why do you start having doubts again?
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

I don't remember that vote.. We voted for town airports, the other vote was retaken.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Even if that's the case then I'm not going to copy the discussion we had then to here. That would be double and OT.
PJayTycy
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by PJayTycy »

Can you clarify the idea a little zuu?

Do you mean, if I have a train station, can another company provide a bus-service to it (with a busstation of the other company = part of my rail station) ?

If that's the case, I'm in doubt.

Not possible =>
In multiplayer games, if you want to add a busservice to a station, you can just ask the other player to add a busstation and then use it (by paying him the station fees).
In single player games, I don't think we can expect the AI to be so intelligent to make decisions as to wheter it is good for them to add a busstation or not. This might be a problem.

Possible =>
No real problems... Yes, there might be more competition, but that's the point of the game, isn't it.

So, I'd say : it should be possible. But if somebody can show me a negative effect of that...
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

PJayTycy wrote:Can you clarify the idea a little zuu?

Do you mean, if I have a train station, can another company provide a bus-service to it (with a busstation of the other company = part of my rail station) ?
Yes, thats what I mean.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Zuu wrote:
PJayTycy wrote:Can you clarify the idea a little zuu?

Yes, thats what I mean.
And then?
Dave

Post by Dave »

This was sort of common in early times in Britain - especially on the railways.

Preston Station is the best example - it had 14 platforms for three different railway companies.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

I think people should be able to use each others loading bays/platforms, but they shouldn't be able to build their own loading bays/platforms at your station, it could completely mess up your expansion plans if someone added a bus bay on a spot where you wanted to build a new platform. People should be able to rent each others bays/platforms though, this way they can use what is already there without messing up someone else's plans.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

XeryusTC wrote:but they shouldn't be able to build their own loading bays/platforms at your station, it could completely mess up your expansion plans
:arrow: Buy the land! (Maybe put restaurants/hotels there until you need them as part of your expansion.)
:arrow: Automatic buy-back option in a first in-best dressed way. The person who owns the original station can chose to buy-back the land for a fair (automatic) price.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

I think the OpenTTD system is quite good, TBH.

This would be my suggestion; The player who builds the first station part owns the station. Other players can expand the station (optional), but it'll be owned by the player who originally built the station. All players can send vehicles to other player's stations (optional) for a small fee (optional too).
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Purno wrote:I think the OpenTTD system is quite good, TBH.

This would be my suggestion; The player who builds the first station part owns the station. Other players can expand the station (optional), but it'll be owned by the player who originally built the station. All players can send vehicles to other player's stations (optional) for a small fee (optional too).
Didn't OTTD worked like that but it makes sense. Especially since road stops are drive-through like and airports can be used by all companies (after they constructed a hangar on the airport).
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Hyronymus wrote: Didn't OTTD worked like that but it makes sense.
It's just like OTTD, except for the fact other players can't expand or build anything adjacent to another player's station in OpenTTD.

Locked until the DD discussion arrives at this issue.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."

Return to “Transport Empire Development”