[VOTE] Research Re-vote

Development discussion about Transport Empire. Other discussion to General forum please.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

How should research be accounted for?

Poll ended at 15 Nov 2006 15:57

No research at all
25%
No control over what is researched
No votes
Little control (choose vehicles)
33%
Moderate control (choose trains)
8%
Huge control (choose a new goods train with high hp)
33%

Total votes: 12

Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

[VOTE] Research Re-vote

Post by Steve »

It was deemed that the initial vote was not descriptive enough and that the votes were counted wrong in the meeting afterwards. So we shall have a revote.

EDIT by Hyronymus
Please vote in the poll and then post a reply in which you tell what research should result in. There are 3 possible answers:
  • A : Research results in new technologies you wouldn't have otherwise
    B : Research results in slightly improved existing technologies (i.e.: 10% more reliability)
    C : Research results in getting vehicles/buildings earlier than the normal date
For background information I urge everyone to read this archived topic.

- Old votes in this topic are deleted! -
Grunt
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Grunt »

EDIT by Hyronymus

Old vote has been deleted, please vote again.
Grunt
(aka Stephan Grunt, CEO of Grunt Transport Inc. since 1994.)
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

TTD has some sort of research system as well, and it works quite right. You have no control, but the industry does ask you from time to time to test a new vehicle.
Maybe you can request what vehicles are in development at the moment, and choose to pay a company money to let you test it the TTD way, a year before normal release.

4 and A would be impractical anyway.

EDIT by Hyronymus

PJayTycy
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by PJayTycy »

Such things only "work" right in a specific scenario. If the mapmaker presents the user a dialog with some text like "factory ... is develloping a new type of train, would you like to fund them? You'll have exclusive acces to train for 2 years", that would be OK. I don't want such popups to come in in a random manner, disturbing the intend of a specific scenario.

Ofcourse, our random maps might have some kind of "scenario" attached to it aswell, in which case they can be added there too.

EDIT by Hyronymus

Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

(Steve: can a train have lots of hp?)

EDIT by Hyronymus

My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Note that, like PJayTycy points out, it might not work well, actually reserch might be something scenario-defined stuff.

What would be realistic would proably actually in 4AB, but I doubt it would work well in a game. (AFAIK railway companies often order a kind of train suited for some specific kind of transport.)

EDIT by Hyronymus

Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

EDIT by Hyronymus

Last edited by Hyronymus on 08 Nov 2006 16:07, edited 1 time in total.
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

EDIT by Hyronymus

what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Lilman424
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lilman424 »

[...], which is essentially how it was in RCT, which had great research.

EDIT by Hyronymus

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

This never made it to a full blown conclusion. Let's vote again but now with a poll. Please read the initial post carefully!

I vote option B for what is affected by doing research.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

I vote option A and B for that.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

I also vote B, which seems most realistic to me.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

B : Research results in slightly improved existing technologies (i.e.: 10% more reliability)
depnding on the time scales:
C : Research results in getting vehicles/buildings earlier than the normal date.

mabey a random pick of the two?

I voted: Little control (choose vehicles/wagons)
But would have added new industy chains and building height
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
Dave

Post by Dave »

Huge control.

Train companies (and others) "commission" companies to construct a vehicle to their requirements.

Makes sense to me.

I'm really all out for realism.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
DominionSpy
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DominionSpy »

I voted Little control, so that you can control the field of research, because some players may want to do just boats for example (I don't know who).

As for the other vote - A sounds like Civilization, which I like, but there's not an amazing amount of technologies within transport. I think out of the other two I'd rather C, getting vehicles earlier.
You're saying I'm a Dominion spy, and don't even know it! - Dr. Bashir
That's the Joker in my avatar, not me. No wait it is me.
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

Dave Worley wrote:Huge control.
Train companies (and others) "commission" companies to construct a vehicle to their requirements.
Makes sense to me.
I'm really all out for realism.
then it would be too easy! theres a big difference between realism and making a game challenging.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Okay - what about incorporating a system whereby you pay more money to pick something of a particular type.

As in the least for option B, more for C, more still for D, and most for E.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

Dave Worley wrote:Okay - what about incorporating a system whereby you pay more money to pick something of a particular type.
As in the least for option B, more for C, more still for D, and most for E.
i was thinking more along the lines of:

Code: Select all

monthly payment:
~£100 = very small investment in random/all area+*first testing oppertunity
~£200 = small investment in select{small veichles/small building infrastructure}+*
~£500 = medium investment in select{small veichles/medium veichles/medium building infrastructure/primary industry chain}+*
~£1000 = large investment in select{large|advanced veichles/tall building infrastructure/primary+secondary+tertiary industries}+cheaper veihcles/running costs+*
hope you undersand the mix 'n' match :P
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

i was really of thinking of something similar... investments in any area you wish, of any amount. the you can invest in more specific research projects, ie, aerodynamic designing , axel/ wheel technology... catch my drift?

meaning that you CHOOSE nothing, you invest in an area/project and you get random breakthroughs and logical improvements
Toyland isn't a climate, it's a mistake.
Everyone has a photographic memory - Some just don't have film
No matter how hard life gets, remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope it's not a train.
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

M4rek wrote:i was really of thinking of something similar... investments in any area you wish, of any amount. the you can invest in more specific research projects, ie, aerodynamic designing , axel/ wheel technology... catch my drift?
This makes sence, having better aerodynamic technologies would get you faster trains, having better engine management (less power loss to heat, more to turning the wheels for example) gives trains more horsepower.
It would be nice if some of the technological improvements would also have an effect on the release dates of trains (better aerodynamics would give earlier HSTs), although this influence shouldn't be too big (1-3 years?).
And maybe the new technologies could only be applied to new build trains, so if you have a 5 year old train, it wouldn't get the newest technologies, you would have to replace it with a new one or take it out of operation for a few months to revise the parts that can be upgraded.

* Carries on dreaming *
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Return to “Transport Empire Development”