New Graphics - Blender ".blend" thread (Works In Progress)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Jupix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: New Graphics - Blender ".blend" thread

Post by Jupix »

I take it the small box on top of the building is for the elevator machinery, so maybe you should include the elevator shaft in the floor layout of the first construction stage?
#################
BlazE
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BlazE »

Jupix wrote:I take it the small box on top of the building is for the elevator machinery, so maybe you should include the elevator shaft in the floor layout of the first construction stage?
I think that small box is just an exit from the staircase to the roof. A house with only three floors does not need to have an elevator I think.
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

Wacki: I was/am talking about the lampposts. The top section currently is a light violet colour, but I think it would be better if it’s slightly darker and de-saturated (colour removed / made more grey). Your last shot of that building is great. Although you middle stage is true to the original, I think it would be nice to have it slightly less complete with some brickwork showing to link from the first stage.
Ben
Wacki
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Wacki »

Ben_Robbins_ wrote:Wacki: I was/am talking about the lampposts. The top section currently is a light violet colour, but I think it would be better if it’s slightly darker and de-saturated (colour removed / made more grey). Your last shot of that building is great. Although you middle stage is true to the original, I think it would be nice to have it slightly less complete with some brickwork showing to link from the first stage.
OK, I try to remake it. But I do not promise it. Because I am trying do other tropical house.
BlazE: I am agree with you.
Sorry for my very bad English!!! :(
I am 3dsmax artist.
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

Wacki: I wasn't suggesting a remake and re-render, but just a tweak post-render. (Photoshop it for example)
Ben
Eddie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Eddie »

Jupix wrote:But the power plant always requires coal. You'd have to change that if you change the underlying technology, and that's a big gameplay change.
Ah, good point. Touche.
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Wacki: Your flat is great.
Lord: Power Plant is almost same with original. Very cool. What is missing is texturing as you already said.
:D
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

lordazamath wrote:I have finished with the power plant...No comments yet :( though.
Anyway...I'm working on the construction phases so you won't get tar yet..
Sorry, but original one looks better. I think even for current zoom level your one requires much more textures.
Image Image Image Image
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

athanasios wrote: Lord: Power Plant is almost same with original. Very cool. What is missing is texturing as you already said.
:D
George wrote:Sorry, but original one looks better. I think even for current zoom level your one requires much more textures.
LordAzamath wrote:you use Blender, right? If so, then I guess you used UV-mapping for textures? They look fantastic, but I don't know how to do something like that myself...Perhaps if you haven't noticed, I have done ery few things that have some texture too :(
Well..I try to do my best..so I'll update soon..But maybe it would be wiser to post the blend(s) here, so smb else could add textures...I'm no good at this :(
Lord
EDIT:
Ok...this is the best, I could ever do...
bestof.png
bestof.png (79.68 KiB) Viewed 5874 times
And here is the tar.gz with all blend files..
powerplant.tar.gz
(3.63 MiB) Downloaded 1266 times
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

lordazamath, are you using blender? You don't have to UV map to add a texture...
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

I know...I can add texture to material too, and that's waht I used to do too...But the problem is that there are so many parameters, that I have no idea what they do...And with uv-mapping I can specify the size, or area, I want to show...Anyway, I'm not that good in textureing/adding materials, than in mesh modeling...That's why I gave you all blends :D
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

nice work LordAzamath, it's just a bit too shiny in my opinion ;) industries are diiiiiiiirty :twisted:
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I would strongly advise looking at the non-UV mapping texturing in blender; it looks scary (like the rest of the program :) ) but is actually simple and powerful! The basic idea is to define textures (F6), which can be procedural or an image, then mix them into a material (F5). Some useful links are:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro
But I expect you already know about these!
Wacki
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Wacki »

Other tropical building:
Attachments
4600.PNG
4600.PNG (1.69 KiB) Viewed 5735 times
trop_house_3.png
trop_house_3.png (54.22 KiB) Viewed 5737 times
I am 3dsmax artist.
Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by Moriarty »

Observation - I notice in the (very nice!) screenshots that, whilst there is new grass, trees roads, and everything, the water seems to be the same old 8bit stuff.
Has anyone done any work on it? Just thought I'd ask.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Concerning the tropical building, is there a standard sand/desert texture?
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

not yet...no rain-forest terrain neither ...Maybe I will try to make them...Maybe..
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

Moriarty: I had a play with making a water sprite quite a while ago, but I’m not really happy with it yet. I’ll move onto things such as that once I’m done on other land sprites, assuming someone else doesn’t do it first.

Wacki: Looks nice, all I can suggest is adding dirt between the buildings and the ground. The clear line running between the two always stands out in cgi.

I spent last night trying to find a quick way of shrinking down the grass sprites and adding (or not) black borders. I made some actions in PS, but I don't seem to be able to export them. If anybody knows how to make PS un fadeout the 'save action' command (v7) then please say.. Anyway, I made the 2 levels, and with lines is here, and without lines is here. Once I actually found a way to do it, and got them as I wanted it only took 2 minutes per zoom which was handy.

The problem with tiles is how 'varying' to make them. The less they vary the better they tile, but the less they vary the blander they appear. There are elements of geektoo's grass tiles that I think tackle this well, so I intend to take a look at blending the two bits of work (permission gained), although I have no idea if that will turn out as intended due to some key differences. There is still plenty to tweak with the grass, but I'll do that once I'm ok with it as a whole, otherwise changes would have to be redone. Here’s a preview also. (Note: Ignore problems with the grass leaving blank pixels for the moment, that’s known about)
Attachments
Grassnormalzoom.PNG
Grassnormalzoom.PNG (611.77 KiB) Viewed 909 times
Ben
Wacki
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Wacki »

It is better?
And here is the next building:
I would like to remake everything city buildings from tropical environment.
Attachments
trop_house.png
trop_house.png (54.51 KiB) Viewed 5556 times
4597.PNG
4597.PNG (1.51 KiB) Viewed 5546 times
trop_house.png
trop_house.png (47.88 KiB) Viewed 5541 times
I am 3dsmax artist.
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Wacki..please do then the high tropical flats too :D Mine are ugly...

Lord

Return to “Graphics Development”