New Graphics - Blender ".blend" thread (Works In Progress)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

joed
Engineer
Engineer

Post by joed »

LordOfThePigs wrote:Depends if you talk about buildings, trains, busses, aircrafts, or ships...
Buildings.
dmh_mac
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dmh_mac »

Alltaken wrote:that is very cool ;)

Dmh_mac, if you have MSN (do i have your name) or was it you who didn't have it.

it would be awsome to discuss some things with you, and then you can go for gold and feel pretty comfortable in your work being ready for the game. ;)

Alltaken
I don't use MSN but you can always email me or PM me.
shampie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by shampie »

These buildings look amazing!
I have a fairly powerfull machine now, perhaps I could be of any assistance?
-What program(s) do you use to create this?
-qucik guide ?
dmh_mac
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dmh_mac »

I use Blender.
On the site you can find a bunch of tutorials and if those aren't enough you can visit the Elysiun forums.

For creating tiles you can use the .blend file of the brick house I posted a few pages back as a base, allthough the camera scale setting is an approximation and Alltaken should look it over some time.

I use a rough scale of 1 tile = 25 meters (so the ground in the .blend file is 25 × 25 meters).
shampie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by shampie »

first reaction on that program >> "uh?!" I dont think it is normal. the program fonts seem to be rather blurry.
dmh_mac
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dmh_mac »

Perhaps this helps.
shampie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by shampie »

Thanks! its a lot clearer now!
dmh_mac
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dmh_mac »

Update
Attachments
4-highriseb.png
(197.06 KiB) Downloaded 2944 times
LordOfThePigs
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LordOfThePigs »

Cool! The amount of details is excellent! The big global reflection on the windows looks odd though, but that might be just me.

However, I think the rendering settings are a bit bland. I do understand that those are the settings that Alltaken has made for everybody to use, but all the colors look washed out.

It would be nice if we could keep the high contrast and saturation of the original graphics. We don't want OTTD to look like Railroad Tycoon II do we?
Sometimes I'm told "Brilliant"...
Sometimes I'm told "Charming"...
And Often I'm told "Shut Up"!
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

LordOfThePigs wrote:We don't want OTTD to look like Railroad Tycoon II do we?
Or worse yet, Loco. (Though I suppose my dislike of the UI could be affecting my opinion of the graphics.)
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Red.xiii
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Red.xiii »

Excellent work Dmh_mac!! Reminds me of a building in Leeds (UK)..

Completely redone my block of flats, but i think my scale is slightly off so i've rendered your's next to mine again. I think my building is too small for the size of the tile...

Glass texture?? i've just left it as default for the moment, is this something that Alltaken needs to take charge of?

Chimneys still need a little work, hopefully the windows now don't look so 'Stuck On', and the grounds need some work

Hope you like :)
Attachments
mockup3.png
(248.85 KiB) Downloaded 2795 times
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

LordOfThePigs wrote: However, I think the rendering settings are a bit bland. I do understand that those are the settings that Alltaken has made for everybody to use, but all the colors look washed out.
Actually this lighting i think Dmh_mac has made himself. but we will probably take his lighing and make it the official lighting.

as for the washed outness of it. Dmh_mac this can be altered via materials settings AFAIk. i.e. increase the saturation of colours.

i will PM you next weekend or somthing with a whole pile of info that i think will be important to you.

i.e. a few files containing the materials i use. (snow, grass, concrete (you can change the concrete :D))
the camera settings.
animated cameras (your buildings will need to be rendered from 4 sides BTW)
the outlines to cut the bottom of tiles.....

anything wlse you want to know? i think you are pretty on to it, and probably know more than me about the modeling and lighting side of things. its just a matter of me giving you the info about how to get these things into the game, at which time you will know more than me :D thats the goal at least.

Alltaken
Red.xiii
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Red.xiii »

joed if you can create the files and then export them to .dxf then blender can import them...

More buildings the better!!
dmh_mac
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dmh_mac »

I don't think the last buildings I posted are bland or desaturated and if you realy want over the top colour you can always play the brickland enviroment.
dylan.farrow wrote: ...

Completely redone my block of flats, but i think my scale is slightly off so i've rendered your's next to mine again. I think my building is too small for the size of the tile...

Chimneys still need a little work, hopefully the windows now don't look so 'Stuck On', and the grounds need some work

It looks nice, I like the entrance.

Try setting the scale of the camera to 5.68 and see how the buildings match up.

On the roof you could add rows to accentuate the edges like in mine.
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

dmh_mac wrote:Update
Looks good, but I don't really like the trees, they look like lolipops. :P Also I think a few changes to the antenna could be good, it looks a bit small.
No longer active here, but you can still reach me via email: luca[at]stackednotion[dot]com
dmh_mac
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dmh_mac »

I think the trees look more like green candy floss, but I'll leaf them for now. The antenna is about 7-8 meters high, considering the scale.
Red.xiii
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Red.xiii »

dmh_mac wrote:I don't think the last buildings I posted are bland or desaturated and if you realy want over the top colour you can always play the brickland enviroment.

I don't think they are bland at all, maybe a bit more saturation to achieve a more 'TT' look. Sorry dmc i have no idea how to do the camera stuff.

I was thinking the same about the roof tiles when I saw yours; I’ll have to try it (and add drainpipes)

I won't be able to provide any more updates after this week for a while. I'm relocating from London to Leeds next week so my life is a bit chaotic. Hopefully be back modelling more buildings within about a month.
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

Fair enough about the trees. :P I think the antenna looks a bit sharp though, it needs to have less curved edges.
No longer active here, but you can still reach me via email: luca[at]stackednotion[dot]com
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

dmh_mac wrote:I don't think the last buildings I posted are bland or desaturated and if you realy want over the top colour you can always play the brickland enviroment.
i think the trees are a bit bland. and the grass is a bit strange. but other than that its not a problem. the buildings are great.

as for the grass hopefully we can do this in a way where its in conjunction with the grass colour of the rest of the tiles (or snow)

this is one thing i kind of want to bounce off you, with some tests to see the best way to deal with ground and grass.

the camera scale needs to be a multiple of the square root of 2. (and blender only works to 2 or 3 DP)

so 2^0.5 = 1.414
x2 = 2.828
x3 = 4.242
x4 = 5.656

basicly do it to the number of tiles that the GFX are wide (in relation to the camera)

depending on the shape of the buildings, it might be 1.5 wide, 2.5 wide, 3.5 wide... so just add this number to the previous.

x0.5 = 0.707

that should work. i assume you worked that out.
i presume you are using the same camera angle as previously.

as for trees. i am hoping that sometime someone can create a set of "great" trees, and artists of other items can use these (so that we have a regular and standardised set of trees to make everything look a bit more organised)

the trees only look weird because your highlight colour is white (from what i see) if the spec colour or highlight colour is yellow, and the leaves are a richer primary green (primary paint green, not primary screen green) then it will be perfect.

but yeah i totally love all your buildings, and any crit i give is just an opinion, normally on fine tuning things.

keep it up though, your stuff is coming along nicely.

Alltaken
Red.xiii
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Red.xiii »

Right, i was bored at work so i've updated the Wiki.

http://wiki.openttd.org/index.php/Enhan ... eplacement

Sorry Dmh, I've put stuff up there that is yours without asking, the Wiki is open though so you can take it down and change it as you like.

Any chance we can put up all the vechicles that were created? Have you spoken to people like Raven?

:D
Last edited by Red.xiii on 02 Aug 2005 16:23, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Graphics Development”