New Graphics - Blender ".blend" thread (Works In Progress)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

dmh_mac
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dmh_mac »

lucaspiller wrote:Ok people, a new version, using the new (broken) lighting thing. Here is a back and front version, but as you can see the lights stay in the same place relative to the camera, but they should rotate with the building. This version uses a slightly modified version of Alltaken's helipad, and a brand spanking new fire escape.
I've got a few suggestions:

-As posted earlier; some shrubs around the building.
-A guardrail at the roof
-Some landing lights
-Make the the entrance overhang a bit rounder.
-Make the lower half of the corner collumns a bit broader to make the building a bit more interesting.
-Add some signs

quick paintover:

EDIT: About the lights turning with the camera: this is so we can place the same building in different angles without having to use 16 seperate files.
Attachments
suggestions.png
suggestions.png (128.62 KiB) Viewed 5658 times
shampie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by shampie »

That heliport needs lots of work.. just does not fit in with the other building published in this threat.
explain me some logics aswell please :
- why is it so bug (like an office building) when not that much people can go with a chopper at the time?
- how about 2 (or multiple) landing zones?
- possibility to upgrade a few existing buildings with a helipad?
pramoewn
Engineer
Engineer

Some material to model from...

Post by pramoewn »

I've been reading trough this forum for quite a long time, and i like your work very much, and if i'd the time to learn blender (or if i'm weren't so lazy :) ), i would participate in this project. I don't know if this is the the right place to post it, but i'm not sure, if you've seen this:

ImageImage
An older building in Glasgow, though I can't remember exactly where it is situated. The graphic is much modified, but you can see that some of the features are based on the real building.
ImageImage
This is the "Livingstone Tower" in Glasgow. It's part of Strathclyde University, and the top floors were part of the computer science department where Chris Sawyer spent 4 years studying for his degree back in the 1980's.
ImageImage
These houses are near the Buchanan Street bus station in Glasgow.
ImageImage
Again this building is in Glasgow, probably the Clydesdale Bank building in Buchanan Street. The Transport Tycoon version has gained an extra floor, but is otherwise very similar.
ImageImage
The shopping centre in Transport Tycoon is very loosely based on the St.Enoch shopping complex in central Glasgow.
(these are from http://www.chrissawyer.com)
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

two of the houses are also significant.

ones is Chris' flat (or was it his uncles house)

the other is the flat or house of the GFX artist.

Alltaken
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

dmh_mac wrote:-As posted earlier; some shrubs around the building.
-A guardrail at the roof
-Some landing lights
-Make the the entrance overhang a bit rounder.
-Make the lower half of the corner collumns a bit broader to make the building a bit more interesting.
-Add some signs
I didn't really have much time yesterday, but I will try that when I have a few minutes (or hours). The mock-up is nice, but I am not sure about the text, because of different languages.
dmh_mac wrote:About the lights turning with the camera: this is so we can place the same building in different angles without having to use 16 seperate files.
That is what I wondered, so multiple views are out of the window for now.
shampie wrote:That heliport needs lots of work.. just does not fit in with the other building published in this threat.
As I said earlier, it is in a 50s / 60s style, where as the other buildings are in a more recent style. It is based upon this building:

shampie wrote:- why is it so bug (like an office building) when not that much people can go with a chopper at the time?
It is based upon the in-game version that is big, and is designed to fit into an city enviroment.
shampie wrote:- how about 2 (or multiple) landing zones?
Have a look at my work on 'helidepots' (hint).
shampie wrote:- possibility to upgrade a few existing buildings with a helipad?
I don't think so, but if you open a new topic, somebody may be interested in it and do it.
No longer active here, but you can still reach me via email: luca[at]stackednotion[dot]com
dmh_mac
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dmh_mac »

Multiple view angles are still in as far as I know, just not with different lighting.

Here's a new building I've been working on.
Attachments
9-building-a.png
9-building-a.png (156.55 KiB) Viewed 5379 times
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

dang dmh_mac, that is stunning.

p.s. lets make your concrete the standard.

Alltaken
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Looks very cool :!:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Nappe1
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Nappe1 »

dmh_mac wrote:Multiple view angles are still in as far as I know, just not with different lighting.

Here's a new building I've been working on.
Really nice. remembers me about the building which near by JFK was shot. (not commenting who did it. It's a bit of mystery, so let it be that way...)
Storwin
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Storwin »

lucaspiller wrote:Ok people, a new version, using the new (broken) lighting thing. Here is a back and front version, but as you can see the lights stay in the same place relative to the camera, but they should rotate with the building. This version uses a slightly modified version of Alltaken's helipad, and a brand spanking new fire escape.
I figure it should be taller. Or even better, a helipad should be a standard-addon to tall buildings :)
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

The door on top of the roof has no knob. >O
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

dmh_mac, this one is amazing and it looks so realistic!
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

Storwin wrote:a helipad should be a standard-addon to tall buildings :)

a helipad should only be an addon to "new" buildings (i.e. after the era of helipads)

and by installing a helipad, you remove a certain number of passengers from the buildings potential (i.e. a few floors)

how does somthing like that sound.

GFX-wise i don't think it would be too bad to get artists to do one with a helipad and one without....

perhaps only certain buildings can have a helipad or not.

Alltaken
Storwin
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Storwin »

Alltaken wrote:
Storwin wrote:a helipad should be a standard-addon to tall buildings :)

a helipad should only be an addon to "new" buildings (i.e. after the era of helipads)

and by installing a helipad, you remove a certain number of passengers from the buildings potential (i.e. a few floors)

how does somthing like that sound.

GFX-wise i don't think it would be too bad to get artists to do one with a helipad and one without....

perhaps only certain buildings can have a helipad or not.

Alltaken
Yeah, it would be nice with some variety ;)
Gorre
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Gorre »

My new attempt of a building.

The three versions are how this building looks in different times, the first is the oldest one a the last is the newest. It's not done yet, minor details are missing, I only want your suggestions.
Attachments
1-building-3-preview.png
(756.35 KiB) Downloaded 545 times
Death
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Death »

WOW! 8)
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Really nice! Now just make lot color variations and it will look really nice in-game :wink: 10/10
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

yeah they are pretty nice :D

the rooflines however are a little bit strange, the windows sticking out, wouldn't really have the roof oing right to the top, they would more likely be a right angle corner, going straight backwards into the roof.

Alltaken
Burschik
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Burschik »

Mediterranean style building, quite popular in Germany at the moment.

Regards

Michael Burschik
Attachments
med_house.png
med_house.png (111.93 KiB) Viewed 4553 times
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

As a first attemt, is is incredible. I may just suggest what to improve:
-Add more flora to the garden
-Split garage and door. Now, patch from car gate leads to main door. I think you should make one rectangular way from gate to the garage and one, slimmer patch to the main door.

Return to “Graphics Development”