Town name list?

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Thalass T'Kynn
Engineer
Engineer

Town name list?

Post by Thalass T'Kynn »

Hey folks. I was playing 0.4.0 just now, and setting up my new name I realised that there is no option for Australian town names! We have some fairly unique names over here, so I went diging through the game's folders and such, looking for something obvious, but nothing. Language file, yes, town name list, no. :(

So I searched these forums for a thread about making a town name list. Again I couldn't find anything. It's probably right in front of me, of course, but I couldn't see it. :P

So I was wondering, where are these files kept? Or is it one big file? Is it possible to make one in a text editor?

Thanks folks. :)
oVRoM
Engineer
Engineer

Post by oVRoM »

A lot of information about how town names are generated can be found on http://wiki.openttd.com/index.php/Town_Names .
Thalass T'Kynn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Thalass T'Kynn »

Ah the wiki! I didn't think of that. *facepalms*

Thanks. :)

Edit: *eyes this*

Do'oh! I thought this'd be a nice, easy, list-of-names or something.

The problem with Australian names is that they're not just in one language. Most of the towns are either English or the local Aboriginal language. But there's also the odd French name, and others also.

This could be tricky. "Ngunnton" or "Paris-on-Wagga" don't seem quite right to me :P

Oh well, could be fun. Not that I have any coding exp. :P
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Bug the devs to implement Action F. In the meantime, read the TTDPatch wiki, and code new town names for TTDPatch.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Dundee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dundee »

I actually suggested generating Aboriginal place names here but I never got round to even the first stage of listing actual place names based on Aboriginal words.

The Auspost postcode list seems to be quite useful. I'll work my regexing skills and see what I can get.

Snippet:
kalumburu
kambah
kamerunga
kamma
kandanga
karama
karumba
katoomba
katunga
kealba

Looks like there's a good chance it can be done.

A concern is that some Aboriginal people might somehow find generated names it offensive.
Thalass T'Kynn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Thalass T'Kynn »

Yeah. You'd have to know the languages to be certain of that. (this is on my to-do list... heh)

As long as they sound legit. And if a censor can be found, just in case, it would be a good project. I'll have a crack m'self. :)

Return to “OpenTTD Development”