George's new cargos [aborted] Use ECS instead

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

How should the building look it transperent mode

as the ground part with the above part in grey (default behaviour)
21%
there should be a text with cargo name over the ground part (English only)
22%
there should be an icon of the cargo over the ground part
56%
other (specify please)
1%

Total votes: 68

George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

Purno wrote:
George wrote:
r0b0t_b0y2003 wrote:here is a screenie
one station accepts 6/8 of gas. You need at least two near your station to make it accept Gas/Petrol
Why?
and why do you need 1200 inhabitants to build banks? It is designed that way.
Image Image Image Image
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

George, when are you going to move tourists over to class0 so that they can go to bus stations and be treated like people instead of to truck stations and treated like livestock? :)
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

wallyweb wrote:George, when are you going to move tourists over to class0 so that they can go to bus stations and be treated like people instead of to truck stations and treated like livestock? :)
If you are interested in ECS, post me and I'll provede you a development link. (All the cargos are coded with classes in ECS)
Image Image Image Image
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

George wrote:
wallyweb wrote:George, when are you going to move tourists over to class0 so that they can go to bus stations and be treated like people instead of to truck stations and treated like livestock? :)
If you are interested in ECS, post me and I'll provede you a development link. (All the cargos are coded with classes in ECS)
What I am able to find with reference to cargo classes are this and this
from the wiki.
If you have more information elsewhere so that I might better understand the issue, I would definitely like to look at it.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

This is the other half of the cargo-class information.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

DaleStan wrote:This is the other half of the cargo-class information.
Thanks DaleStan, much appreciated. :)
I'm familiar with that page as it is referenced from both the pages I linked to. Indeed, it is referenced from all 4 transportation action 0 pages.
George's answer to my original question was an offer of ECS information and I'd very much like to know about what he was offering and how that would determine the rational for tourist busses going to truck stations instead of bus stations. As best as I can determine, Action 0 allows for tourists (or anything else for that matter) to be classed under property 0 which would cause their conveyance to be serviced by the same stations as are passengers, i.e. bus stations.
We have the why tourists should be handled by bus stations ... its more logical and realistic.
So the original question remains, why not make the change?

On a related note here Michael Blunck suggests that his passenger liner in his ship set can have tourists added as an optional cargo refit by modifying NewCargosPetrolTouristsw.grf. Again, this would be realistic and make very logical sense as cruise ships play an exceedingly important role in the tourist industry. The nice part about this is that the ship already exists in the game.

I'm on a role here, so a third note and question ... why "Toy Store"? Wouldn't "Tourist Agency" make better sense? Requiring passengers, mail and valuables to generate tourist sounds almost reasonable. Just the name is illogical.

On a positive note ... the tourist concept is great and the hotels and statues are very well done. :D
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Excessive Demolition Costs

Post by wallyweb »

Not a Double Post - This appears to be a newly discovered problem

Excessive Demolition Costs.

When I wanted to demolish a sawmill I was shocked to find that it would cost $204,800,000 which even under the most difficult settings and after the maximum number of years would be excessive and I was only at January 1, 1921.

So I did some research and troubleshooting and reached the stage where one turns off all grf files and then turns them on one at a time.

With all grf files off, the demolition cost is a normal $3,200,000. (LandInfo_1)
With New Cargos Tourists & Petrol on, the demolition cost soared to $204,800,000. (LandInfo_2).

I have attached a zip file with a savegame and the two required cfg files.
Attachments
DestroyIndusdtryCost.zip
savegame, canewgrfw.cfg, ttdpatch.cfg
(88.68 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
Normal Demolition Cost - New Cargos Tourists & Petrol = ON
Normal Demolition Cost - New Cargos Tourists & Petrol = ON
LandInfo_2.png (19.17 KiB) Viewed 3017 times
Normal Demolition Cost - New Cargos Tourists & Petrol = OFF
Normal Demolition Cost - New Cargos Tourists & Petrol = OFF
LandInfo_1.png (18.55 KiB) Viewed 3018 times
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Excessive Demolition Costs

Post by George »

wallyweb wrote:Not a Double Post - This appears to be a newly discovered problem
It is the feature. I wanted to increase the buildings removal cost. Unfortunately, it affects industries too. It is in the to-do list to fix it
Image Image Image Image
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

oh that's great but I would like to have that demolish cost increase in sepearate GRF
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Excessive Demolition Costs

Post by wallyweb »

George wrote:It is the feature. I wanted to increase the buildings removal cost. Unfortunately, it affects industries too. It is in the to-do list to fix it
For quite a while I was noticing that it cost more to demolish town buildings.
I use TTRS2 extensively and until now I thought it was something that Zimmlock and his team had done.
I believe I may even have posted to Zimmlock's thread about this. If I did, I appologize Zimmlock. It was not your fault after all.
I did not know that New Cargos Tourists & Petrol was affecting other grf's in this manner.
I assumed that because of its name, New Cargos Tourists & Petrol, it was merely adding two new industries to the game.

George, are there any other effects that we may not know about that might be affecting other grf's and/or the game beyond simply adding a couple of new industries?

I need to know this in case I have blamed somebody else for a problem they did not create.
Last edited by wallyweb on 13 Oct 2005 11:13, edited 1 time in total.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I think this shows the difficulty with creating grf's that change too much at once. I think that if you want to increase demolision costs i.e. you shouldn't add that to a cargo graphic grf. If you decide to include it though, and that's the right of grf-makers, you should at least document it.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Hyronymus wrote:If you decide to include it though, and that's the right of grf-makers, you should at least document it.
Except when it affects the game play intended by other grf makers :-(
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Point taken. Documenting it isn't enough if it effects other sets too.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

we could have a mini set of things that affect other grfs
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Yes, true. In that case you would be in complete control of what changes to allow.
Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

Problems with alpha66 and new cargos: patch don't recognize it: instead of cargo name, there is "GRF not found"? It works OK with previous patch versions.
Serbian rail set with Serbian scenario (ECS, PBI, FIRS and Tourist set compatible) Website | Topic and download | Latest version: 03.06.2015.
Serbian tram set Tracking table | TTD Patch tram set Latest version: 17.06.2015. | Open TTD Remix Latest version: 11.07.2015.
WIN-DOS GRF Converter Topic and download | Version 0.2.1: 09.01.2005.

Runner-up in "Best avatar Forums award" for years 2006 and 2010!
MJS
Director
Director

Post by MJS »

Now that the new cargoes are in the wonderful but still rather experimental ECS, but Zimmlock's superb TTRS3 already uses Tourists and Petrol, is there any chance you could still provide us with the old Tourists & Petrol grf, George? Just to use until ECS is ready, and most train- and vehicle sets have accomodated all changes?

It's just that I really like to use MB's Arctic + his DB-set + TTRS3 + your LV4, and TTRS3 causes all these 'grf not found's as long as there's tourists nor petrol available :(
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

MJS wrote:Now that the new cargoes are in the wonderful but still rather experimental ECS, but Zimmlock's superb TTRS3 already uses Tourists and Petrol, is there any chance you could still provide us with the old Tourists & Petrol grf, George? Just to use until ECS is ready, and most train- and vehicle sets have accomodated all changes?

It's just that I really like to use MB's Arctic + his DB-set + TTRS3 + your LV4, and TTRS3 causes all these 'grf not found's as long as there's tourists nor petrol available :(
try updated TTRS3 from http://george.zernebok.net/download/dev ... /27022006/ first. Let me know if it does not fix the problem
Image Image Image Image
MJS
Director
Director

Post by MJS »

No, it seemed to work at first, but actually petrol stations are reappearing, I think:
Attachments
(sorry for strange colours)
(sorry for strange colours)
SCR35.png (108.74 KiB) Viewed 2235 times
MJS
Director
Director

Post by MJS »

And it the following bug a TTRS thing too, or is this probably caused by another grf? My bus station was underneath that stadium!
Attachments
SCR35b.PNG
SCR35b.PNG (30.26 KiB) Viewed 2224 times

Return to “Graphics Development”