George's Long vehicles. Popularisation

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

What's your opinion about LVs?

I use LVs and I shall use them if they would be shorter
34%
I use LVs, but I shall not use them if they would be shorter
21%
I do not use LVs, but I shall use them if they would be shorter
30%
I do not use LVs and I shall not use them even if they would be shorter
6%
I do not care
8%

Total votes: 99

Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Wile E. Coyote wrote:DONT TRUNCATE LVs! I love them very much! Only acceptable thing is rescaling IMHO, but it's too much of job. Anyway, aren't they LONG vehicles? :wink:
100% agree :D
George, your LV's are awesome as they are. You might add some short versions if you want, just like you did for the American buses, so users can decide which ones to play with; but your long trucks are very well done and any attempt of truncation might really spoil them.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Adding "I use LVs and I shall use them if they would be shorter" and "I do not use LVs, but I shall use them if they would be shorter", you get 26 votes for making them smaller, compared to 10 not making them smaller and 2 who don't like LVs and 4 who don't care.
pETe!
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pETe! »

I think it enought to short them a bit so that they aren't sooooo long.
look the difrence between the Greyhount and the Junbocruiser for example.
The Junbocruiser ist too big for TTD, sometimes he doesn't look nice in the game because he ist to big, especialy and to high!

Imageis too short IMO.
Try to find a compromise.
Szappy
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Szappy »

Born Acorn wrote:Adding "I use LVs and I shall use them if they would be shorter" and "I do not use LVs, but I shall use them if they would be shorter", you get 26 votes for making them smaller, compared to 10 not making them smaller and 2 who don't like LVs and 4 who don't care.
Tell me please, then, how should someone (like me) vote, who does like them as they are, but would still use them, if they were smaller, but not like them as much :?:

So NO, the first option votes do NOT count towards making them smaller. On the contrary, those count towards "leave them as they are".

I just hate when people try to misinterpret my vote, to fit their perpective. :evil:
Political parties do that all the time. Do you consider a political career maybe?
Image please use email instead of PM
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

(16:11:14) • @patchman predicts Born_Acorn will go into politics, with great personal success
You would be surprised! (Although it weren't my intent)
Hairysteed
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hairysteed »

It's not the trucks that bother me as much as the buses. They make everything else look tiny!
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Right well my personal opioion is NO LEAVE GEORGES LVs AS THEY ARE.

i currently use the Long Vehicles in all my games of TTDPatch

But if it was to go ahead would it be possible to have two versions of it, one iwth the Short RVs and another exactly the same but with Long RVs
or is this just to much work.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I take it that it is not practical to raise the sprite limit again? :wink:
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

Hairysteed wrote:It's not the trucks that bother me as much as the buses. They make everything else look tiny!
It is late to change it now
Captain_Kirk76 wrote:Right well my personal opioion is NO LEAVE GEORGES LVs AS THEY ARE.
Ask Steve to work on articulated RVs :bow:
Captain_Kirk76 wrote:i currently use the Long Vehicles in all my games of TTDPatch
But if it was to go ahead would it be possible to have two versions of it, one iwth the Short RVs and another exactly the same but with Long RVs
or is this just to much work.
When articulated vehicles would be done, it would be possible to use them with or without trailers, and you'll choose the length of the consist with your own wish. :bow: Steve
krtaylor wrote:I take it that it is not practical to raise the sprite limit again? :wink:
If my calculations are correct, I'd fit with the same amount of sprites with articulated RVs
Image Image Image Image
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Re-visiting the poll, I voted that I do not use LV's, but would if they were made shorter.

But I do not think so much that it is an issue of 'shorter', the scale, in my personal oppinion, is just all wrong for TTD. For one, there are no real standards for scale in TTD, but when you then make an road vehicle longer that's longer than a TTD tile, that dwarfs a train, that makes a TTD house look like a hobbits house (And the guy who lives accross the road from me often parks very large crane trucks outside the front of his small-medium sized suburban house, and they most certainly do not extend over the borders of his property (well, a little bit, he has to leave the drive-way free) as much as the LV's appear to in TTD.

I like your artwork, it's good, but with the current scale, I'll choice Pikka and DanMacK's TTD styled road vehicles first over LV's every time.

I know, old topic, I know, it was already being dug up, but I felt like voicing my oppinions.

Question though, with your russian total replacement set you are working on, George, is the scale the same for trains and buildings and road vehicles?
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

Aegir wrote:Question though, with your russian total replacement set you are working on, George, is the scale the same for trains and buildings and road vehicles?
No. 433mm/px for trains, 303mm/px for RVs
Image Image Image Image
LittleHelper
Engineer
Engineer

Post by LittleHelper »

Szappy wrote: ...how should someone (like me) vote, who does like them as they are, but would still use them, if they were smaller, but not like them as much
Two sets (short and long) or a mix in one set (with different short and long ones) would be perfect. :idea:
If this isn't achievable easily, then let the set like it is :wink: Having only the short ones looks too tiny for me, and the problem with the overcrowded boxes araises again.
LH 8)
Sonicelo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sonicelo »

I will say like this: The person that dont like those glithes dont need to use the set.. noone forced them. Or they could make another set WITH!!!!! only short vehicles. I voted for 2nd.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

dont really think the graphical glitches with long vehicles is that bad, unless there is one i am yet to see.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
lws1984
President
President

Post by lws1984 »

Ther are glitches, and the long ones do look a bit odd around curves, but that's part of the charm of TTD and the LV's. Leave them be, I say.
It's not me in my avatar, it's a time lord!

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so.
-Douglas Adams
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Fully agree with you IWS
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

1) only. Don't shorten the trucks! If you have to, make sprites for the trailers, but don't shorten the Volvo, Spitzer, McTrucks, etc, that don't have trailers. because I prefer to play with long vehicles when using the LV set because your RV set is the most unique out there (or in here, I don't know :P).
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

White Rabbit wrote:1) only. Don't shorten the trucks! If you have to, make sprites for the trailers, but don't shorten the Volvo, Spitzer, McTrucks, etc, that don't have trailers. because I prefer to play with long vehicles when using the LV set because your RV set is the most unique out there (or in here, I don't know :P).
I plan to split them into the tractor and the semi-trailer when articulated vehicles will appear
Image Image Image Image
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Won't that make the sprite limit problem worse, though?
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

krtaylor wrote:Won't that make the sprite limit problem worse, though?
I suppose I'll fit in the same amount of sprites
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Graphics Development”