More disasters [1.6.5] [+OTTD bugfixes]

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

SirkoZ wrote:Even sinking an oil ship "is just not cool". :shock:
Why not? There aren't any Women/Children on an Oil ship. Besides, ships are the only transport that don't sink/blow up/get destroyed. They need something. (Maybe "ran aground")
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

Well - I meant with all the toxic oily goop, that is poured in the ocean...
It would look ok, but there would have to be a huge black stain on the water....and floating goods crates - now that would be cool. :)
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

But the Oil would explode/burn in the explosion, so no need for fancy stuff. :wink:
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

SirkoZ wrote:Even sinking an oil ship "is just not cool". :shock:
And what if we just had an accident? A sub hitting a ship, both need repairs and are stuck, drifting at sea?
Better then sunken by torpedo...
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

I can try making ships break down for a long time after hitting the submarine, just please say comments on the volcano - I've just unpacked the archive and everything works...
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

MeusH wrote:I can try making ships break down for a long time after hitting the submarine,
That would be a good idea. This way, the subs would be usefull!
MeusH wrote: just please say comments on the volcano - I've just unpacked the archive and everything works...
I would love to say something about it... BUT...
I started the game 1st january of 1950, i'm at 20th june of 1952 ans still no volcano appearing. :(
Setting is testing mode, in a temperate climate randomly generated.
Exec has been compiled 2005-10-03, at 23:30h 1,183,232 bytes.
I'm realy sorry, I wished it would be a lot more positive...
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Ohhh, I've forgot to say it's 2000-2100. Sorry, my bad.
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

I'll check it out as soon as possible... I'll push my boss out of my office if I have to!!!
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Now ships break down after being close (about two tiles), also submarines will be present ten times longer. Maybye more submarines should spawn to incerase the chance of hitting the ship?
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

I'm sorry to say this :
Yes, having changed the years from 1950s to 2000 enabled teh volcano disaster.
Yes, the screen rocked from side to side.
Yes, the mountain started to erect.
But the game crashed.
I noticed it was near a bridge. Could be because of it.
I will do some more tests...
But I like what I have seenso far.
Question : when the mountain erects, should the gound tile be something diferent? I was thinking all rocky instead of bare ground. Or maybe we could have to draw some new tiles, with lava flow pattern...
nicfer
Director
Director

Post by nicfer »

My game crashed only when lots of volcanos have been erected (I used the testing mode, my fauvorite :lol:). Ah, and look this, like funny :P.
Attachments
Unnamed, 30th Mar 2005.jpg
Unnamed, 30th Mar 2005.jpg (71.36 KiB) Viewed 666 times
Sorry for my english I am argentinian
TTO don't crashes in Windows XP; XP crashes TTO

Formerly known as UnderBuilder.

MyMiniCity
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Yes, that's the problem with bridges - will be fixed.

For 1.6, the AI tracks will also not be rushed - later maybye AI players should have a "TO-DO" list which will be updated each vehicle\track is destroyed... Just ideas... for another patch - after disasters will be merged, I hope so

I'd also like to make tiles affected by volcano got rocky. The volcano should be rocky, too...

I just need Luca's permission and ideas, you know...
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

Well I haven't got much time to change it myself, but you (MeusH) have my permission to do it yourself.
No longer active here, but you can still reach me via email: luca[at]stackednotion[dot]com
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Okay, thank you.

I'll make more effects (fire), rock, bridges and tunnels will be completly destroyed and AI tracks will not be rushed. Also volcanoes will have more security checks because I think the game crashes when one volcano tries to spawn over other one...
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

Can you do some sort of a magic buldozer too?
Explanation :Many times, I saw industries or even cities been "cornered" by the volcanoes.
I mean... a volcano is basically an almost perfect cone of rocks.
If an industry or a town is near by, the volcano erupts, but since it cannot destroy the industry/town, he stopped growing near them and corner them. I have screen shots at home.
Codewise, i'm sure it make sense, but playerwise, it is a bit puzzling...
I can't wait to see your improvments!
Another thing I noticed : I'm not sure of it, but I guess the spread of exploding grounds looks way too large. I mean.. a volcano erupts at one end of a 512*512 map and ground tile get destroyed at the other end of the map.. Maybe it was anothwer volcano erupting, but either way...
My impression
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

belugas wrote:Can you do some sort of a magic buldozer too?
Explanation :Many times, I saw industries or even cities been "cornered" by the volcanoes.
I mean... a volcano is basically an almost perfect cone of rocks.
If an industry or a town is near by, the volcano erupts, but since it cannot destroy the industry/town, he stopped growing near them and corner them. I have screen shots at home.
Yes, that's right, tunnels, bridges, industries, HQs, AI stuff and map borders may stop the volcano from growing up. Some of them will no longer be barreer (tunnels, bridges, headquarters and map borders (volcano won't spawn near edges)). By the way, the oil wells and forests get destroyed if in the way of volcano...
belugas wrote:I can't wait to see your improvments!
Thank you
belugas wrote:Another thing I noticed : I'm not sure of it, but I guess the spread of exploding grounds looks way too large. I mean.. a volcano erupts at one end of a 512*512 map and ground tile get destroyed at the other end of the map.. Maybe it was anothwer volcano erupting, but either way...
That's right and I'm working on it - volcanoe's radius will be set, now the question is what would be the value of the radius? 64 tiles around the volcano (for example, if erupted in tile 64x64 on 128x128 map, tiles 1x64, 127x64, 64x1 and 127x64 would be borders of radius-circle)
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

MeusH wrote:By the way, the oil wells and forests get destroyed if in the way of volcano..
Haven't noticed... Cool!
MeusH wrote:That's right and I'm working on it - volcanoe's radius will be set, now the question is what would be the value of the radius? 64 tiles around the volcano (for example, if erupted in tile 64x64 on 128x128 map, tiles 1x64, 127x64, 64x1 and 127x64 would be borders of radius-circle)
Mmmmm... :? Good one. Would the size of the map be a factor for the radius? Not sure. In fact, the more I think of it, the more I doubt. After all, when a volcano erupts, he does not care if he is on a small island (Hawai) or on a continent (Mount St-Helen). He just blows out.
There is one thing :idea: that can be taken in account : how violent is the eruption?We can imagine a factor, from 1 to 10, which will tell
a) how violently the screen is shaken (such a nice feature!)
b) how fast does the mountain rises
c) how far away the fire-bombs can go
d) how big will be the volcano...

It's 5:23 am, sorry if it's confused... :oops:
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

1.6 is up.

-1) Industries get destroyed after hit by a volcano mountain or fireball
q1) Should fireball destroy the industry?

-2) Submarines break down ships
q2) How can I modify breakdown time? Nowdays ships get broken for six days, as every vehicle do

-3) Volcano will erupt just one time
q3) Is that good? What do you think?

-4) Volcano fireballs fall down in set radius around the volcano, also destruction is more dense around the mountain

Request) Can you please check if volcano can erupt more times after save\load?

Note 1: The volcano erupts only after year 2000. Use cheat code to change time.
Note 2: Industries will be affected by disaster after you take some cargo out of it

Thank you for your support!
nicfer
Director
Director

Post by nicfer »

Seems that the fireball too destroy industries :twisted:.

One question, I can't find the option 'disasters only affect industries that are producting something' or similar.
Sorry for my english I am argentinian
TTO don't crashes in Windows XP; XP crashes TTO

Formerly known as UnderBuilder.

MyMiniCity
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

Here's french translation for build 1.6.

Code: Select all

STR_B016_SUBMARINE                                              :{BLACK}{BIGFONT}Un navire marchand a heurté un sous-marin d'origine inconnue!
STR_CONFIG_PATCHES_VOLCANO                                      :{LTBLUE}Permettre désastres de type Éruption Volcanique
I will compile it, test it ingame and test the game (YES!) tonight

Return to “OpenTTD Development”