Aegir's Projects

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Aegir's Projects

Post by Aegir »

Aegir's Projects:

This topic is where you can find all of my major projects, both past and present. For the most part these are station and building sets that I am working on.

Project Generic Stations used to have it's own topics, from now on, I'd rather them discussed here, rather than in the old topics, I will most likely ask a moderator to lock these topics, as they were created by other users (Against my wishes), and I am unable to manage them in the same fashion that I am able to maintain this one.

Check back on this first post often, as when I release things, they will be inluded on this page.

Station Sets:
Project: Generic Stations
This is my grand project, I love it, I cherish it. This set is a modular set of stations that follow a theme of, well, generic. No fancy automatic layouts, this set expects the player to use the availible building blocks to construct their stations how they want to.

P:GS started off as Project New Stations. Led by ChrisCF. I started coding for the set some time ago, and then after some arguments, I usurped control of the entire set. It's mine I tells ya. Mine.

It evolved since then, growing into a very certain style, and now, the latest stage of its evolution, P:GS becomes an framework of sorts. A concept for station .grf design, further discussed in this thread.

Instead of being one modular set, P:GS itself becomes a framework of sorts, an umbrella project collecting many different station sets together. This was inspired by Lakie's idea of integrating some of his stations, and by my desire to get rid of the need for doing giant releases all the time.

Each station set, now is a seperate entitiy, with individual releases. No longer does the entire set need to be maintained as one, released as one.

The old discussion thread can be found at the P:GS Thread.

The current location for the station sets is: http://www.aegir.bur.st/files/ttd/index ... ion%20Sets

Rural Stations
Artwork by Astath, Cornelius, and DanMacK. Some alterations by Aegir.

These stations popped up a while back, orignally just couple of buildings and some very nice platforms drawn by Astath. I instantly fell in love with them and they made their way into the original, gigantic P:GS.

Well suited to almost every climate, although they don't look quite as good in Sub-Arctic. It has a full compliment of station elements. Full-tile platforms, basic platforms, platforms, benches, shelters in a number of combinations, an overpass, and a passenger building.

It can currently be found with the rest of the stations at: http://www.aegir.bur.st/files/ttd/index ... ion%20Sets

Suburban Stations
Artwork by Cornelius and Arte Pro 34. Some alterations by Aegir.

The suburban stations begun right at the start of the project. Infact, Arte Pro 34's GPL'd work was what brought about ChrisCF's grand little scheme...

Anyways, Cornelius made a set of shelters in the same style, one of his first peices of work, so it goes. It was never released, just a screenshot.

Ofcourse. I got impatient and screen-scrapped them into the game.

Later on in P:GS's life, a whole station class grew around them.

It can currently be found with the rest of the stations at: http://www.aegir.bur.st/files/ttd/index ... ion%20Sets

Silverline Stations
Artwork by Arte Pro 34. Some alterations by Aegir.

Another set of GPL'd stations drawn by Arte Pro, the Silverline stations make a good modern suburban station. They fit allongside the older suburban stations, and look good in just about any climate.

Not currently finnished, there are still a couple of sprites that need to be coded, the large city style stations with covers. Still in a very playable state.

Building Sets:
Japan Set Scenery
Whilst creating the North American Building Set, and doing some more tweaks of my TTRS2 mod, I decided that the big big modern cities needed more variety with their skyscrapers, so I proceeded to pilfer about half a dozen from the Japanset.

This .grf is completly stand-alone, like all of my work, it works exceedingly well with TTRS2.

I've now taken control of the scenery part of the Japanset, so this will get somwhere by the looks of things. Im strongly considering to still make this .grf standalone, without the landscape replacer, which will sooner or later also get the trees added in, perhaps with a parameter to disable them.

This .grf is now availible for the general public, it is part of the Japanset project. It can be downloaded from here:

http://www.aegir.bur.st/files/ttd/index ... 0Buildings

TTRS2 Modification
This building set is a modification on Zimmlocks Total Town Replacement Set 2, at first just for compaitibility with Tropic and Arctic (Below snowline) compatibility, but it has grown into a complete re-working of all building placement.

Current .grf can be found here:

http://www.aegir.bur.st/files/ttd/index ... ing%20Sets

North American Building Set (NEW)
This set aims to create a standalone (Although compatible with TTRS2) building set featuring artwork depicting North American buildings and building styles. Currently, this includes two houses, a two tiled school, and two larger buildings.

This set is designed to be seperate from the USSet, so that it can be used easilly with the Canadian Set, the US Set, and the North American Renewal Set (My favorite :) ).

Current .grf can be found here:

http://www.aegir.bur.st/files/ttd/index ... ing%20Sets

Now, discuss, throw artwork at me, complain, whatever. I'll keep updating this post as I release more and more stuff, plus I'll also flesh out some of the descriptions here, add new screenshots, and so forth.

Discussion about P:GS, and the various station set's that form this umbrella project, are now best discussed here.

Changes:
Sunday, October 9th - Created Topic.
Sunday, October 9th - Made a title for the topic.
Sunday, October 9th - Fixed some links.
Sunday, October 9th - Added the last few images and resized them all to 800x400.
Monday, October 10th - Updated a few entries.
Monday, October 10th - Added a new screenshot for the Japanese Buildings entry.
Sunday, December 4th - Minor alterations all over the place.
Sunday, December 4th - Stuck P:GS in a bag, beat it with a stick, and had a look at what fell out.
Sunday, December 4th - Added the mini-article and screenshot for the Rural stations.
Sunday, December 4th - Added Suburban and Silverline.
Thursday, March 9nth – Shuffled the thread around, deleted the entries for the tram tracks and the Japanset grass. They are probably still downloadable from: http://www.aegir.bur.st/files/ttd/index ... d%20Stuffs Don't ask for support. I will not provide it.
Last edited by Aegir on 08 Mar 2006 23:11, edited 9 times in total.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Comment: I'm adding this thread to my watch list. 8)
Suggestion: Add a last update date after the title of each so we can all know when we have been neglecting our updates. :wink:
Reward: /me gives Aegir a "Get Out of Trout Free" card - Good for 4 flames - valid at any tt-forums thread or channel - exp. Oct 8, 2004 :D
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

very nice indeed. but i'm having the idea you've missed one, can't recall which. :wink:
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Zimmlock
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zimmlock »

Its good to see what your doing, about the Asian Building Set, the Asian buildings ll be, slightly modifeied, part of TTRS-v3. The time slice 10-70 ll have a lot of skyscrapers.
Attachments
Underconstruction the Multimediabuilding for the 10-70 period (its a prepreview)
Underconstruction the Multimediabuilding for the 10-70 period (its a prepreview)
mm10-70.png (1.91 KiB) Viewed 78527 times
Hodie Mihi Cras Tibi
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

@wallyweb, Thanks for the coupon, that should come in handy! I'll have to remember to use it though :D.

@astath, thanks, and yes. I think I have missed one somwhere, but I cant for the life of me think what...

@Zimmlock,
Zimmlock wrote:Its good to see what your doing, about the Asian Building Set, the Asian buildings ll be, slightly modifeied, part of TTRS-v3. The time slice 10-70 ll have a lot of skyscrapers.
Thanks for the compliments, and that is a mighty fine building you're working on there!

Nice to know that the 2010-2070 (You can go up to 2175 for specifying dates ;) ) will have lots of skyscrapers. Ideally I'd like to see any large town being completly over-run with the giant buildings (Apartments, giant office buildings and such), with only small towns seeing the smaller domestic buildings and so forth.

Thanks for the reply! :).

@everyone: The Asian buildings set has increased size a lot, whilest bored last night and this evening, while my sister had stolen the ADSL modem off of me (I need a home LAN desperatly), I started coding any and every Japanse building I could find. I'm still not releasing though, Japanset already has a building coder, I'm making this .grf to specifically fit my needs and to practice coding with.

edit:
@everyone, again: Looks like the Japanset has a buildings coder, ME! :D. I've taken over the scenery side of the Japanset, so I can take the (NOT FOR RELEASE) part off the title above.

edit2:
@everyone, once again: Updated the Japanese Buildings entry, and shifted a few things around. Make sure that you check the thread often, as I will update it quite often. Also added a new screeny for the Japanses Buildings entry.

Zimmlock
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zimmlock »

@Aegir:
As you know i am not difficult when it comes to the use of images i made, i draw for the public domain. This is after i have released them.
Unfortunatly i see two not released buildings in the Japan-set Scenery, the Endless-flats and the new TTRS-v3 Bank building (see image), please remove the Endless-flats from this grf and replace the Bank image with the TTRS-v2 Bank image.
I hope you did not used more not released buildings of my hand in one of your sets (except the originaly buildings drawn for the Japan-set)
And i don't want to see my new Multimedia building in one of your sets.
When TTRS-v3 has been released you are free to use them.
Attachments
japanbuildings.png
japanbuildings.png (314.25 KiB) Viewed 78605 times
Hodie Mihi Cras Tibi
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Zimmlock wrote:@Aegir:
As you know i am not difficult when it comes to the use of images i made, i draw for the public domain. This is after i have released them.
Unfortunatly i see two not released buildings in the Japan-set Scenery, the Endless-flats and the new TTRS-v3 Bank building (see image), please remove the Endless-flats from this grf and replace the Bank image with the TTRS-v2 Bank image.
I hope you did not used more not released buildings of my hand in one of your sets (except the originaly buildings drawn for the Japan-set)
And i don't want to see my new Multimedia building in one of your sets.
When TTRS-v3 has been released you are free to use them.
First, I'll just say: :oops:

But, to elaborate, they are not in the Japanset buildings. They are in a completly seperate .grf I coded to test multi-tile buildings code in. I grabbed the images from your thread, which had construction stages, to have a look at. The Japanset buildings .grf only contains buildings drawn for the Japanset. I will not use graphics in TTRS2 or 3 for it because they will double up. I am specifically creating the Japanset buildings .grf to be compatible with other buildings .grfs. I will not re-use existing TTRS buildings, unless Sanchimaru slaps a whole heap of flashing signs with japanese writing on them :D.

That screenshot was taken with TTRS2, that seperate .grf of mine, The North American Building Set (Pointless since they dont show up past the year 2000), and the Japanset buildings. A bit misleading I think considering it was supposed to be representing the Japanset buildings themselves.

Dont worry, I will not release works of yours before you, that is downright rude, and even putting that screenshot up with those buildings was wrong of me. But on a more positive note, I think you cannot truly understand the effort that an artist put into somthing until you try and get it in game.

To sum up, I'm sorry for this mix-up, I will try and be more cautious in future, and I am sorry if I offended you.

Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Also, I will be removing that screenshot within an hour or so. In future I will not upload screenshots that feature other building sets, in hindsight, I think its very misleading.

Also, the next screenshot has somthing good to display, the Shotenagi, in 1x1, 1x2, 2x1 and 2x2 combinations.

EDIT: Okay, the new screenshot is going up. This time, not only does it not include TTRS2, or any other building sets, it also does not have any original TTD buildings.

Zimmlock
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zimmlock »

[quote"Aegir"]and I am sorry if I offended you. [/quote]
Not realy, i am even not angry :D
But as you might know, its a lot of work to draw a building, and then its not amuzing if your creations get highjacked before release.
Anyway,
How ll all the code stuff of what i have no knowlidge of, live together in future? i ll use the Jap=set buildings in TTRS-v3 to (not all, just a few).
In the Jap-set image is see you don't have the last edition of the Aoyama building it has some caracters on the front.
Attachments
aoyama-bld.png
aoyama-bld.png (1.28 KiB) Viewed 78152 times
Hodie Mihi Cras Tibi
Oz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Oz »

So I had two options due to the week and one half of rain here in Boston. I could start building an Ark, or work on some sprites. I, of course, chose the latter, since I really don't want to have to round up two of every animal. I always thought that if I were Noah, I would have been a bit more choosy. "Oops! Completely forgot about mosquitos and cockroaches." Ahem. :P

Anyhoo, I revisted the North American buildings. They were, after all, the very first buildings that I drew, and some of the graphics were a bit wonky. If you'd like, Aegir, could you replace the old graphics with the ones posted below? I could zip up the original PCX file for you also, if that would make things any easier. Let me know.

Also, you can put your stick away. I was going completely bat-s**t breaking the Toronto Station into sprites, took a break, and drew another set of flats. It's modeled after a beautiful building that I pass by on my way to the lab every day. Any comments or feedback will be appreciated.

Cheers!
Attachments
Brownstones 3.png
Brownstones 3.png (2.64 KiB) Viewed 77816 times
NA Bldgs Set1 Sprites.png
NA Bldgs Set1 Sprites.png (29.84 KiB) Viewed 77956 times
Arguments from authority carry little weight (in science there are no "authorities"). - Dr. Carl Sagan. "The Demon Haunted World"
ImageImage
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

That set of flats is marvelous Oz, what era do you think it should be in though? Fifties?

And thanks for the updated sprites, I'll stick them in as soon as I can be bothered to (I dont bother saying ASAP anymore).

Excellent work.

/me puts the stick away

Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Okay, those sprites are in and working. Brilliant work Oz. The extra texturing and shading on a lot of those buildings really paid off! They're excellent.

I dont want to pressure you with lots of demands, but some more general houses would be very very good to help with the variety.

Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Feels weird tripple posting in my own thread, but its an unnavoidable somtimes.

Anyways, I've been dissecting Oz's buildings to see how they 'tick'. Being an amateur pixel painter myself, I've been trying to get a feel for shading and such.

Heres somthing I've baked up. Comments more than welcome.
Attachments
Original artwork by Oz
Original artwork by Oz
large.PNG (1.91 KiB) Viewed 77469 times

Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Whoo, thats not bad! More buildings are a *good thing* TM
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

looks nice Aegir.

on a different note, and the original reason for posting here: i have the oddest of problems witht the PGS: Freight grf and the Japan Landscape Tiles grf, which is that i can't set or de-set one of them without the other doing the same as well. so i have to play either with or without both. d'you know what causes this?
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

astath wrote:looks nice Aegir.

on a different note, and the original reason for posting here: i have the oddest of problems witht the PGS: Freight grf and the Japan Landscape Tiles grf, which is that i can't set or de-set one of them without the other doing the same as well. so i have to play either with or without both. d'you know what causes this?
Oh sod! Its the dreaded grfid conflict!

Ack, I'll try and fix it before long. Somthing went wrong in my grfid schema, I'll clean it up again and probably have to rerelease everything.

lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

ah, allright, i thought it was me. pfjouh. :wink:

Szappy
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Szappy »

Aegir wrote:Oh sod! Its the dreaded grfid conflict!

Ack, I'll try and fix it before long. Somthing went wrong in my grfid schema, I'll clean it up again and probably have to rerelease everything.
Aegir, I hope you're aware of the "grf id list" function built-in GRFMaker?
It keeps track of your projects' assigned GRFIDs automatically for you (unless you turn it off in settings.
Image please use email instead of PM
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Szappy wrote:
Aegir wrote:Oh sod! Its the dreaded grfid conflict!

Aegir, I hope you're aware of the "grf id list" function built-in GRFMaker?
It keeps track of your projects' assigned GRFIDs automatically for you (unless you turn it off in settings.
:oops:

Szappy
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Szappy »

Aegir wrote: :oops:
I guess that meant a no :lol:
Image please use email instead of PM

Return to “Graphics Development”