Want official PDA support? Donate us a PDA!

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Want official PDA support? Donate us a PDA!

Post by TrueBrain »

[21-11-2005] -- After long talking, we decided not to go this road. When we get the time, and the hardware, we will make PDA, but we no longer will actively ask donations for PDA support (for OTTD on the other hand, we do ;))
Last edited by TrueBrain on 23 Nov 2005 11:23, edited 4 times in total.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Great stuff! All I need now is a PDA to donate and a PDA to play on :P
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

Born Acorn wrote:Great stuff! All I need now is a PDA to donate and a PDA to play on :P
Just money is okay too ;)
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Hmm. Okay. When I'll get home I will donate a bit to the cause.
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

Born Acorn wrote:Hmm. Okay. When I'll get home I will donate a bit to the cause.
FYI: donation should go to: owen@owenrudge.net ;)
Last edited by TrueBrain on 12 Nov 2005 15:25, edited 1 time in total.
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

What sort of PDA? I can donate a slightly dodgy Compaq iPAQ 3800 PocketPC 2002 machine. It's slightly dodgy in that it can be difficult to get the sync/charge connection to work - in involves holding it at certain angles, etc. It was too frustrating for me, but if the OpenTTD dev team would like it, I can post it.

I also have a Palm Tungsten C, but it has spontaneous reboot issues - not ideal in a development environment. That's a physical problem that developed when I changed the battery.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Brianetta, thank you for your kind offer :). Now we will have to fight with TrueLight which one of use gets the PDA :oops:

We actually didn't expect someone to donate a PDA, but as it stands now, we will have to put some thinking into it.
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

I donated some cash.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

If you wish to support OpenTTD in any other way, please follow the instructions on the tt-forums "Donate" page, or look out for the Donation page on the OpenTTD web site, coming soon. :mrgreen:
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

orudge wrote:If you wish to support OpenTTD in any other way, please follow the instructions on the tt-forums "Donate" page, or look out for the Donation page on the OpenTTD web site, coming soon. :mrgreen:
And make sure if you donate for the PDA stuff, to put that clearly in the note!!
Thief^
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Thief^ »

Brianetta wrote:What sort of PDA? I can donate a slightly dodgy Compaq iPAQ 3800 PocketPC 2002 machine. It's slightly dodgy in that it can be difficult to get the sync/charge connection to work - in involves holding it at certain angles, etc. It was too frustrating for me, but if the OpenTTD dev team would like it, I can post it.
Is that the one that looks like the Compaq iPaq 3660? I used to have a 3660, and it has the same kind of problem. The charge socket is fine, but the data socket (which it's supposed to be able to charge from too) is nearly useless. The person I gave it too has given up, I might be able to get it back to donate (if they haven't thrown it away). It has the CF card jacket, which can be used to get data to the pda, but MS ActiveSync will only install programs direct to the pda, not to a CF card. (not that that'd be a problem for OTTD, which doesn't use an installer)

I have a HP iPaq 2210 now, which is so much better (and smaller).
Melt with the Shadows,
Embrace your destiny...
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

Thief: It looks a little like it, but the power socket was removed and the data socket enlarged for full RS232 compatibility. The unit can only be charged via the data port or the CF docking port. The unit is, I just checked, a 3850, not a 3800. I don't believe there's a significant difference.

This image is big, but narrow - moderators, let me know if this is OTT.

PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
lepkka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lepkka »

To be honest, openTTD in a pda it's no more than a curiosity.
Its not practical and it never won't be.
It's not very pleasant building those networks on pda's screen.
Believe me, I've got ottd running on my pda.
I hope you devs won't spent your time on it. In addition, the guys of eSoft Interactive are doing this job too.
Sir_Magnum
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sir_Magnum »

lepkka wrote:Its not practical and it never won't be.
It depends on what you compare to! Its the most simple way of playing OpenTTD while traveling with bus, car etc. Your not likley to pull up your laptop during a 15 min trip... But the PDA, its perfect!
Maby the built in function "Up to 8 paired units-"LAN" via bluetooth" might come in handy someday?? Like running wireless multiplayer on the PDAs on the morning bus...! :D
Sorry for my bad English, im just a Swede!

(I think that i have to figure out how to donate some cash, and then do so!)
Don't ever argue with an idiot, first he will bring you down to his low level, then beat you with his experience...
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Have you seen the amount of complaints on that place? eSoft does not look good, and should not be the closest thing to official, not to mention the "Donate by Paypal" buttons everywhere, and only mention of the OTTD project here is in the readme.
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

Sir_Magnum wrote:
lepkka wrote:Its not practical and it never won't be.
It depends on what you compare to! Its the most simple way of playing OpenTTD while traveling with bus, car etc. Your not likley to pull up your laptop during a 15 min trip... But the PDA, its perfect!
This is why I am very tempted to get a Libretto. It's a laptop the size of a VHS tape.

Return to “General OpenTTD”