OpenTTD objectives

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

OpenTTD objectives

Post by Alltaken »

http://wiki.openttd.org/index.php/Objectives

developers involved in the meeting, please feel free to add to this list.

at a later we can discuss the objectives and vote on them (things that are opinion based like "war" or TTD feel....), then the objectives will be official and set. (should not need to be edited again until a major development occurs)

Alltaken
Conditional Zenith
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Conditional Zenith »

When you say "we" can discuss the objectives and vote on them, does that mean developers or anyone who is interested?
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

dunno probably developers. but possibly everyone (if a poll were set up). i doubt everyone would be asked about "all" objectives.

things like no war are pretty much non negotiable amongst developers (from what my understanding of the issue is)
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Not war - so what about some disasters (helicopter/military plane attack?)
Conditional Zenith
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Can we also have no deforrestation, no demolition of homes, no bribery, no flooding/draining lakes, etc.?

edit: I am not being serious here, I am being facetious.
Last edited by Conditional Zenith on 18 Nov 2005 10:13, edited 1 time in total.
webfreakz.nl
Director
Director
Location: Localhost, 127.0.0.1, [The Netherlands: South Holland-> Westland]

Post by webfreakz.nl »

Conditional Zenith wrote:Can we also have no deforrestation, no demolition of homes, no bribery, no flooding/draining lakes, etc.?
Because? In real life you can have demolition of homes to?
# Programming is like sex, one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life. (Michael Sinz)
Conditional Zenith
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Sorry, I should clarify what I meant. I was being facetious. I was trying to make a point about this "no war in the game" stance.
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

...And livestock deliveries to the factories...

I think Alltaken meant "no tanks, no military ships visiting your docks,
no milirary factories converting uranium to bombs you have to transport,
no "extra industries" which require people carried in DB set livestick vans during WWII time"
Conditional Zenith
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

I know they are not saying the things I said, but the same logic applies. "No war in the game because war is bad", but there are plenty of other bad things in the game (like environmental destruction, military plane disaster, etc.). So I fail to see why there can't be war related stuff in the game because its bad, yet all this other bad stuff is allowed in the game.

I agree that war is bad in real life, and that we don't want war in real life, but we are not talking about real life here, we are talking about a game.
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

Conditional Zenith wrote:I know they are not saying the things I said, but the same logic applies. "No war in the game because war is bad"
the reason AFAIK stems from Chris sawyers original intentions and morals. he created the game to be peacefull (he does that with all his games) by adding war and weapons stuff... we would effectivly be insulting the original creator of the game.

the original intention of the game was to offer a family oriented game not involving war. this was a valid intention by chris sawyer, and thus i think has been adopted as a stance and point of homage in this game.

end of subject. there will be "no" winners of a debate on this it is pointless.

Alltaken
nicfer
Director
Director

Post by nicfer »

If the intention of Chris Sawyer was make the game peacefull, why are in-game the UFO's and the military aircrafts and helicopters?
Sorry for my english I am argentinian
TTO don't crashes in Windows XP; XP crashes TTO

Formerly known as UnderBuilder.

MyMiniCity
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

I think he done a PC Port of one game and the UFO's are a hint at that...heck one of the stock TTD maps had a island called "X:COM HQ".
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

SLaY3r wrote:If the intention of Chris Sawyer was make the game peacefull, why are in-game the UFO's and the military aircrafts and helicopters?
This might come as a surprise, but we can decide what to add to the game and we can decide rules for new additions
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

I think it's good that we don't take chemicals to the ammunition factory, and grop these off to the military base before picking up soldiers for deployment to other bases. I think it's good that we don't have slave trucks on our trains to be delivered to plantations or mines.

If people want this stuff, or MeusH's excellent WWII example, they can produce a mod for their own edification. I'd rather not see it in OpenTTD, and I'm glad the developers are maintaining this stance. It means I can safely recommend the game to my ten year old sister down south. (:
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
Gorre
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Gorre »

To provide a game that is free from war themes and conflict; hence suitable for all age groups.
In official release, but the game should be changable enough to let player introduce this (i mean industries, types of cargo, wagons, trucks) by himself and by no need of changing anything in the code. (i mean just a new industry types, no infantry rushing across the map)
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

sure, but i doubt it will ever be officially supported.

Alltaken
Conditional Zenith
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

G0RR3 wrote:
To provide a game that is free from war themes and conflict; hence suitable for all age groups.
In official release, but the game should be changable enough to let player introduce this (i mean industries, types of cargo, wagons, trucks) by himself and by no need of changing anything in the code. (i mean just a new industry types, no infantry rushing across the map)
There was a thread where this was discussed here.

Basically the ideas extended beyond simply more industries and cargo types. While I can't speak for anyone else, unless it makes a gameplay difference, I don't think it is worthwhile. Any of the gameplay ideas can be implemented without calling it war though.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”