Three New Airports

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Three New Airports

Post by richk67 »

I have previewed some of these in other threads (Commuter airport further down this forum, helidepot in the New Airports thread in Graphics forum.)

Here are three new airports:

Intercontinental: available 2002: 4 runways (yes, 4) 2 inbound 2 outbound, 8 terminals, 2 hangars and 2 helipads. The capacity of this is awesome. It is incredibly hard to get a queue of flying aircraft, unless you deliberately jam up the airport with stopped planes. Capture radius is 10 tiles.

In effect, this is 2 international airports in one, with a one-way loop between the two halves. It pretty much load balances, and is great fun to watch - Ive thrown 30+ planes & helis between these, and the motion is hypnotic!!

Commuter airport: available 1983. 1 runway, 3 terminals, 2 helipads. For the 1980s yuppie boom, a small airport ideal for Bae46 and other small aircraft. The helicopter capacity is good, and it works well as a replacement/upgrade for the tired old small airports. Has same capture radius as the small airport (4 tiles).

Helidepot: available 1976 (might be 1977, cant remember!). 1 helipad, 1 hangar. Ideal as a service centre for a helicopter-only route, when you dont want to have a runway and waste space. Note: YOU CANNOT BUILD AIRCRAFT HERE! The system would seriously break if you could, so I have blocked the ability to build aircraft.

Please try these out in your games, and let me know if there are bad bugs.

[edit] v3 released. This solves the northern hangar issue completely, and makes aircraft select the nearest terminal group (unless full). Removed some fences. Redesigned southern entrance to avoid lockups.
Attachments
Three new airports. New GUI.
Three new airports. New GUI.
Slarnpool Transport, 3rd Jan 2002.png (91.39 KiB) Viewed 13959 times
3new_airportsv3a.patch
Updated patch post elrails inclusion
(46.31 KiB) Downloaded 818 times
Last edited by richk67 on 29 Mar 2006 20:53, edited 9 times in total.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
BeSt-Com
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by BeSt-Com »

please, give me a (win-)exe to test that great airports, i'm not able to compile!
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

/me mutters, yet again, about a piece of software available from http://www.bloodshed.net.

EDIT: MSVC is producing reams of error messages when applying this patch to r3779.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
gkirilov
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by gkirilov »

I think it would be better if he includes this patch in his(at the moment) IN.

/joke
Intercontinental airport .. hm. What would be the next in size airport? "Interplanetary"? 8)
OTTDCoop NewGRF Pack|Different sets of GRFs for TTDPatch (some of them work in OTTD) - 1|- 2|GRF sets for OTTD|OTTD nightly
I hooked up my accelerator to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you. Spoilers and bodykits are how much of the wall you take with you. Rollcages and windownets are how much of a mess you leave on the wall.
AlienDNA
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AlienDNA »

Too bad the concrete has these corners in it, so the surface of especially the intercontinental airport looks full of dents. This gives it a somewhat rough or choppy look.

Would it be really hard to code just 1 extra airport-taxiway sprite, and include that in ottd, just like for instance the canals?

I am a huge fan of the commuter airport. It looks slick, clean and compact. Excellent work there! Too bad I feel a catchment area of 5 tiles would have been better. From 1983 and onward, people are supposed to be more mobile, I feel. And, with a catchment of 4, getting the centre of the city in it will require using the explosives again... ;)
"I'm gonna rip his leg off and kick him with it!", Sanjuro, Shogo-MAD
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

DaleStan wrote:/me mutters, yet again, about a piece of software available from http://www.bloodshed.net.

EDIT: MSVC is producing reams of error messages when applying this patch to r3779.
Well, since I dont have M$VC, and you not saying what any of the error messages are, thats not very helpful.

I had 1 warning of a comparison, and I have now corrected that, so on my MingW compilation, I now receive no warnings. I have uploaded the new patch (changed a != NULL to != 0 in the EndHeliLanding sequence of aircraft_cmd.c).

Can you let me know if this compiles cleanly on MSVC, and if not, post a short clip of the most important messages. Alternatively, could you take a look at the code where MSVC barfs, and let me know if Ive done anything glaringly wrong. (There arent that many code lines that have changed. Most of the patch is just FTA data.) Thanks.
Last edited by richk67 on 07 Mar 2006 10:43, edited 1 time in total.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Firework Photography
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

AlienDNA wrote:Too bad the concrete has these corners in it, so the surface of especially the intercontinental airport looks full of dents. This gives it a somewhat rough or choppy look.

Would it be really hard to code just 1 extra airport-taxiway sprite, and include that in ottd, just like for instance the canals?
If you check out all the "normal" OTTD airports, they also have these dents. In fact, I just reuse their tile.
I am a huge fan of the commuter airport. It looks slick, clean and compact. Excellent work there! Too bad I feel a catchment area of 5 tiles would have been better. From 1983 and onward, people are supposed to be more mobile, I feel. And, with a catchment of 4, getting the centre of the city in it will require using the explosives again... ;)
Hmmm. You may have a point, but it is meant to be a small airport. The City airport has a catchment area of 5, so although it may be nice to have more reach, I dont think it fits with the spirit of the airport!
Firework Photography
browneyedboy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by browneyedboy »

I've tried pathing these new airports. But it wont work. I'm using TortoiseSVN as I've learned in this forum from Meush.
All the objects are marked red and that means it wont work. What should I do to make it work?
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

browneyedboy wrote:I've tried pathing these new airports. But it wont work. I'm using TortoiseSVN as I've learned in this forum from Meush.
All the objects are marked red and that means it wont work. What should I do to make it work?
Blasted TortoiseSVN. When I created the patch again this morning it used full paths rather than relative... sorry. Patch corrected, updated.

I'll just go out and shoot myself..... :?
Firework Photography
browneyedboy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by browneyedboy »

Thanks for fixing that :D
And now, there's another problem :(

When I've patched it those files using the patch get a red exclamation at it instead of a green symbol. What's wrong now? :(
I've tried playing and the airports don't appear in the game :(

Have I missed something?
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

browneyedboy wrote:Thanks for fixing that :D
And now, there's another problem :(

When I've patched it those files using the patch get a red exclamation at it instead of a green symbol. What's wrong now? :(
I've tried playing and the airports don't appear in the game :(

Have I missed something?
The red exclamation in TortoiseSVN just means "changes from the controlled version", which is correct. Compile the code. The airports should show in the Build Airport dialog box (as you can see in my screenshot). If they are greyed out, then your game date is too early.

All 3 airports are date dependent - change the start date in Configure Patches to a date after the intro dates. The Intercontinental is only available in 2002+. You cant change the date to that, so, change it to 2000, and fast forward to 2002.
Firework Photography
browneyedboy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by browneyedboy »

Compile the code? How do I do that?
This is my first time patching something.
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

browneyedboy wrote:Compile the code? How do I do that?
This is my first time patching something.
Ah! The OTTD wiki has a whole section on compiling. For windows, I would recommend the MingW32 compiler. Dalestan promotes the Bloodnet compiler & development environment.

I'm attaching a copy of the win32 exe to the original post. (I wont post the source code as per GPL - if you want it, send me a cheque for £1 to cover CD and postage ;) )
Firework Photography
browneyedboy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by browneyedboy »

That compilingstuff seems really complicated :?
When will the exe-file appear so we who don't understand coding etc will be able to use these great new airports? :P
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

browneyedboy wrote:That compilingstuff seems really complicated :?
When will the exe-file appear so we who don't understand coding etc will be able to use these great new airports? :P
Sorry for delay. I was posting at work, and my boss was sniffing around! :roll: :lol:
Firework Photography
browneyedboy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by browneyedboy »

You gotta tell your boss to stop sniffing and that he should get to work instead ;)
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

richk67, I don't have time yet to check it, but I really like it. You've made wonderful job on this. I really like the Intercontinential Airport.
It's really awesome!

There are only two things I may request, just by looking at the screenshot.

Can you persuade developers to add one more sprite so there will be no dark tile-corners on the airport surface?

How about changing order of buttons? Something like...
Small | Commuter
City
Metropolitian
International
Intercontinential
Heliport | Helidepot

And one last thing, about the other heliport structures you were working on. I hope you will continue the work on these?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

richk67 wrote:Well, since I dont have M$VC, and you not saying what any of the error messages are, thats not very helpful.
Well, actually, it turns out it's not your fault at all. Sorry.

TortiseMerge is under the impression that the patch says to turn sprites.h into a zero byte file.

This has the unsurprising result of causing every instance of SPR_*, PALETTE_*, &c. to be undef. And those are used a lot.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

DaleStan wrote:Well, actually, it turns out it's not your fault at all. Sorry.

TortiseMerge is under the impression that the patch says to turn sprites.h into a zero byte file.

This has the unsurprising result of causing every instance of SPR_*, PALETTE_*, &c. to be undef. And those are used a lot.
LOL! :lol: I assumed it would be a Microsoft problem ;) 8)

Nice problem BTW :) And, yes, I guess there are a TON of errors from that!
Firework Photography
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

MeusH wrote:Can you persuade developers to add one more sprite so there will be no dark tile-corners on the airport surface?
Darkvater? Any chance here? Or is there a sprite already that I can reuse in station_land.h ??
How about changing order of buttons? Something like...
Small | Commuter
City
Metropolitian
International
Intercontinential
Heliport | Helidepot
Yeah, I looked at the order. Decided I didnt want to tidy it up, but it should be pretty straightforward. I'll do it tonite! (Generally I'm a strong believer in "if it aint broke... dont fix it!". Also, I didnt want to disturb the gui if the patch wasnt going to make it to trunk.... maybe after a bit of testing this could make it! :P )
And one last thing, about the other heliport structures you were working on. I hope you will continue the work on these?
Err.... I was only doing the helidepot. I can make more airports easily now - the basic movements on the intercon airport worked first time. Only problems were some locks didnt come on at the right time. Also had NIGHTMARES over getting the two landing approaches working.

I could make a "helistrip"... 4 helipads in a line, with an access route. Like the helidepot, but add 3 extra pad+taxi.

What I really need is more helicopter types. I hope with peter1138's newgrf changes, that the planesetw.grf works. Any ideas?
Firework Photography

Return to “OpenTTD Development”