Three New Airports

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Roman
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Roman »

richk67 wrote:
Lord wrote:richk67, got my pm? :?
Err... had to check... yes. Im afraid Im not much help. I dont know a thing about the internals of how original TTD or Patch handle the states. Most of your PM went way over my head!! :) I'll take another look tomorrow, and see if there is anything I can help you with.
Hm, too bad. Didn't you have to deal with that kind of stuff before the new airports could be implemented?

Well, however, do you know someone who could help? Someone who was/has been participating in all the new airport stuff?
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Lord wrote:Hm, too bad. Didn't you have to deal with that kind of stuff before the new airports could be implemented?
No. The internals like that are just not relevant in OTTD. Old games are loaded into the OTTD variable structures, where they are considerably easier to manipulate. Writing a new state machine and airport design was simply a matter of editing the airport_movement.h file; no need for knowledge of the internals at all.
Well, however, do you know someone who could help? Someone who was/has been participating in all the new airport stuff?
Darkvater (on hols), Peter1138 or Tron know pretty all there is to know; both are best found on irc, or email via the contacts links on the OpenTTD website.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
Roman
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Roman »

Alright, thanks. :)
browneyedboy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by browneyedboy »

I've tried to install these new airports, but haven't succeeded. What can I do? Is there a win EXE?
Hope you can help me out, thanks.
mart3p
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mart3p »

You need a recent nightly build. Builds for all platforms including a win exe are available here. :)
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

browneyedboy wrote:I've tried to install these new airports, but haven't succeeded. What can I do? Is there a win EXE?
Hope you can help me out, thanks.
Four of the new airports; commuter, intercontinental, helidepot, helistation, are now found in the main game trunk. So if you download and use a nightly they are in there.

There will be no new development in this thread, and I doubt the patch applies cleanly any more. All improvements will go directly into trunk (if at all).
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Firework Photography
Aracirion
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Great!

Post by Aracirion »

richk67 wrote:
bdvm wrote:c. Could it be that crashes with jets happen slightly more often than normal on the new commuter airport?
c) The commuter airport is a SMALL airport. Jumbos will crash :).
by Jumbos you mean all Jets? I just tried it ... I built a city airport and a comuter airport, 6 b-737 (planeset) for every aiport, and I just let them start and land. before I went bankrupt, there were no more planes on the commuter airport, while the city airport had had no crashes.

What planes do go on the commuter airport? just propeller aircraft?
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Unfortunately yes. It would be better if some small fast planes where counted as "small" (especially the BAe146)

I myself am awaiting a new GRF set by Pikkbird which will have a lot of small jet planes categorised as small planes, and able to land on small airports.
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Born Acorn wrote:Unfortunately yes. It would be better if some small fast planes where counted as "small" (especially the BAe146)

I myself am awaiting a new GRF set by Pikkbird which will have a lot of small jet planes categorised as small planes, and able to land on small airports.
OK... checks my crib-sheet:

In original game the following are small-airport capable planes:
Ju52
Viscount
FFP Dart
DC3
MD9
BAe46
Fokker100
A34-1000
Z-Shuttle
Kelling K1

The Planesetw.grf has a ton of good small planes, and usefully they are named (S) to let you know!
Firework Photography
Aracirion
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Aracirion »

oh wow, that s / l thing was useful :)

the Jumbolino is a small plane

thx a lot

a question though: is tha s/l categorization based on real-life facts?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Mostly. In some cases, the planes that should be L, but just barely, were marked S, but left that way even after an audit of RL plane capabilities determined that the planes were, in fact, large.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

richk67 wrote:OK... checks my crib-sheet:

In original game the following are small-airport capable planes:
Ju52
Viscount
FFP Dart
DC3
MD9
BAe46
Fokker100
A34-1000
Z-Shuttle
Kelling K1
I wonder if some sort of patch could be made to apply (S) and (L) to the original planes. I've been playing TTD for years and years and didn't know that until now.
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Born Acorn wrote:I wonder if some sort of patch could be made to apply (S) and (L) to the original planes. I've been playing TTD for years and years and didn't know that until now.
Nice idea. It should be fairly easy to add in, either in the display code, or in the name-load code. (My preference would be display code).

I got the data a long time ago using TTDAlter to look at each of the aircraft. The Mcdonnell Douglas DC9 is a really useful jet for small airports.
Firework Photography
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

I'm going to add your data to the Wiki. It's helpful info.
Ar4i
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Ar4i »

Which reminds me that someone will have to tweak that stupid AI a bit so it will use small planes on small airports and also never ever build any small airports one there are large ones. Maybe I have to start digging into the OTTD code to get an idea about how hard is this to code... only if I an find some decent amount of free time :(
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

It might be easier to just block the small airport for the AI after the small airport is obsolete usually. That way it has to build the large (City) ones.
MGSteve
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by MGSteve »

Sorry to be a idiot (probably!) - how do I enable these, I've downloaded 0.48 RC2 and they're not listed.

Didn't someone say above that they were included in the main build now, rather than nightly?
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

nopes
only miniin or the nightly
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
gk
Engineer
Engineer

Post by gk »

I'd like to suggest another airport-type, the Refueling-Station. Why would one need something like that?

Well, recently i and a few friends of mine played on a very large map with breakdowns set to standard. Quite soon we discovered that true long-distance airservice is simply not practical, because chances are your plane is going to have a breakdown half-way to the target. To migitate that we 'hit' on the idea of building airports in the middle of nowhere along the flight-route and give the aircrafts orders to land and visits the hangars there.

I think that is actually a quite nice, altough maybe unintended ;), feature, because it kind of simulates the limited range of aircrafts and the need to land and 'refuell' because of this. :)

Unfortunately, the smallest airport that could be used for a route where the endpoints are busy international airports is the metropolitan airport, so it would be nice to have an airport design that caters especially to this. It should simply contain a long runway, so that jets do not crash, two hangars, a single loading/unloading-place (i believe you need one, also thus it can double as an industrial airfield) and a traffic-flow optimated for hangar-visiting. Its catchment-area should be very small, zero if possible.

Made a little gimp-mockup on how this could look like.

g
gk
Attachments
mockup
mockup
fuelstation.png (20.38 KiB) Viewed 4057 times
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Good idea

Post by maquinista »

Is a very good idea, but I think that the airport must be thinner. 2×5 tiles is a good idea.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]

Return to “OpenTTD Development”