Three New Airports

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

richk67 wrote:What I really need is more helicopter types. I hope with peter1138's newgrf changes, that the planesetw.grf works. Any ideas?
What do you mean by "more helicopter types"?

When I last tested, the 1.0 Planeset (Or maybe it was a beta I tested. I don't remember any more.) was functional. The graphics were not always displayed correctly, but the planes were planes and the choppers were choppers.

I expect the 1.0 Planeset will work better in Open than the 1.1 Planeset, but you're welcome to try both.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

DaleStan wrote:When I last tested, the 1.0 Planeset (Or maybe it was a beta I tested. I don't remember any more.) was functional. The graphics were not always displayed correctly, but the planes were planes and the choppers were choppers.

I expect the 1.0 Planeset will work better in Open than the 1.1 Planeset, but you're welcome to try both.
Well, I tried the planeset directly off his website, and it didnt work. Also, in that post you linked to is "This version is NOT compatible with any version of OpenTTD.". I concur. It doesnt work.

Pity, as I would like to create a few more heli-oriented designs.

[edit] Also just tried the linked planeset1.0. Nope, doesnt work. (No new aircraft appear in a new game set in 2024. If I load up planesetw_459.grf, all planes are correctly replaced - but the cool stuff isnt there. So v1.0 and v1.1 just dont load - no errors though!)
Last edited by richk67 on 07 Mar 2006 19:05, edited 1 time in total.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
Scia
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Scia »

On their website they offer a planeset that is OpenTTD compatible. Maybe you could give that a try...

Regards,

Scia
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Scia wrote:On their website they offer a planeset that is OpenTTD compatible. Maybe you could give that a try...

Regards,

Scia
It doesnt have the really nice stuff (airships), and only 2 helis. Thanks anyway.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Firework Photography
BeSt-Com
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by BeSt-Com »

@ richk67, thx for the exe :D
works good for me, will test tomorrow as much as possible ....
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Must have been a beta I tested, then. My guess is that one or more of the switch checks are causing problems (planespeed on is the one that's most likely to be causing problems)

Try this one. It's just the helicopters, but it works for me in 0.4.5, except for the fact that the rotor overrides are ignored, and the Osprey's engine nacelles... well, who knows what they'll do. Load it after the 459 Remix if you want those planes too.
Attachments
Heliset-1.0.grf
(48.04 KiB) Downloaded 296 times
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

DaleStan wrote:Must have been a beta I tested, then. My guess is that one or more of the switch checks are causing problems (planespeed on is the one that's most likely to be causing problems)

Try this one. It's just the helicopters, but it works for me in 0.4.5, except for the fact that the rotor overrides are ignored, and the Osprey's engine nacelles... well, who knows what they'll do. Load it after the 459 Remix if you want those planes too.
Great thanks. The airships have heli-rotors on top - I guess thats the rotor overrides.

Planeset is really nice, but considerably heavy on 1960s-1980s, and very light on future-planes. Similarly, these helis are good, but fizzle out post 1990 - the Osprey is fast, but awful capacity. Its one (rare) occasion where the default planes are quite good. The Guru X2 is a nice chopper.
Firework Photography
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

MeusH wrote:How about changing order of buttons? Something like...
Small | Commuter
City
Metropolitian
International
Intercontinential
Heliport | Helidepot
Done. Original post updated.
Firework Photography
ebik
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ebik »

I found a bug, (nearly cosmetic one), two planes in one tile in front of left depot. See picture. (OTTD 0.4.5 Linux, with your patch). I tested it by building this single airport and building 17 Concordes, with only this airport in their order, just to see the troughput. (It is far better than international...).
Attachments
Small bug, two planes on one tile.
Small bug, two planes on one tile.
Frutfingford Transport, 29th May 2006.png (25.3 KiB) Viewed 5231 times
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

ebik wrote:I found a bug, (nearly cosmetic one), two planes in one tile in front of left depot. See picture. (OTTD 0.4.5 Linux, with your patch). I tested it by building this single airport and building 17 Concordes, with only this airport in their order, just to see the troughput. (It is far better than international...).
Ahh... Ive wondered if there was a bug there. Its to do with how/when the hangar 1 area block is checked/reserved. Arriving aircraft sometimes dont seem to check whether they are allowed to reserve it. I'll look into it. But I may not be able to crack it...
Firework Photography
ebik
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ebik »

richk67 wrote:
ebik wrote:I found a bug, (nearly cosmetic one), two planes in one tile in front of left depot. See picture. (OTTD 0.4.5 Linux, with your patch). I tested it by building this single airport and building 17 Concordes, with only this airport in their order, just to see the troughput. (It is far better than international...).
Ahh... Ive wondered if there was a bug there. Its to do with how/when the hangar 1 area block is checked/reserved. Arriving aircraft sometimes dont seem to check whether they are allowed to reserve it. I'll look into it. But I may not be able to crack it...
Maybe this caused, because you let the aircraft roll out from depot, and then wait. I think that on every other airport the vehicle either waits IN depot or has reserved its track and rolls to runway or terminal.

I also 'benchmarked' your airport, and here are results:
* It can handle 11 concordes without waiting (the international can handle 5). (Benchmark was with aircrafts with one port in order list, no beakdowns, no servicing).

But for jumbos the number is same, because of long circle before landing!

With concordes (100 psg), this port can handle city with population of cca 5k, with <= 500 psg waiting. It seemed that the number of waiting psg started to increase for 6k population.

With jumbos (300 psg) is both psg waiting limit and town population limit greater (like pop of more than 10k; less than 1k psg on airport) but I didn't tried.

(Tested on two nearby towns and two airports with 23 aircrafts, towns grown from population of 200 by funding)
ebik
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ebik »

Another bug? Locked landing runway. (The nothern runway is locked), see attached savegame. (64x64, 'benchmark')

I did some saves and loads. I also tried to stop plane while on runway. After some time I noticed 'jam' above nothern airport. This is the windoze precompiled version on WinXP.
Attachments
Sleningpool Transport, 20th Apr 2014.sav
64x64 airport benchmark. Nothern landing runway locked!
(14.86 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

ebik wrote:Another bug? Locked landing runway. (The nothern runway is locked), see attached savegame. (64x64, 'benchmark')

I did some saves and loads. I also tried to stop plane while on runway. After some time I noticed 'jam' above nothern airport. This is the windoze precompiled version on WinXP.
Hmm... the RUNWAY_IN2 block musnt be released for some reason. I have no idea why not! There are no aircraft in it to cause that problem.

I'll have a fiddle, and see if I can find a reason why.
Firework Photography
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

ebik wrote:Maybe this caused, because you let the aircraft roll out from depot, and then wait. I think that on every other airport the vehicle either waits IN depot or has reserved its track and rolls to runway or terminal.
That was my original preference, but I couldnt get them to stay in! It works on the other airports because they tend to exit immediately into the single taxiway. However, on this one, I wanted to have it that if an aircraft is making for the hangar, then as soon as it clears the taxiway, another can use the taxiway. Ive clearly not got it quite right. (Its not bad though!!)

This is one of those cases where I would like to reserve more than one block - so an aircraft only leaves the hangar if it can get to the terminal. So no waiting outside.
Firework Photography
ebik
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ebik »

richk67 wrote:
ebik wrote:Another bug? Locked landing runway. (The nothern runway is locked), see attached savegame. (64x64, 'benchmark')

Hmm... the RUNWAY_IN2 block musnt be released for some reason. I have no idea why not! There are no aircraft in it to cause that problem.

I'll have a fiddle, and see if I can find a reason why.
It happened again. First, on southern landing runway was waiting aircraft, then second one landed (but the tile next to runway was not free, so two aircrafts was waiting there!). After they both (sequentialy) cleared the runway I noticed that nothern landing runway is locked.
ebik
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ebik »

Can you make a plane to crash at landing? I remember, that I had appaling rating when the thing described in previous post happened.
ebik
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ebik »

Hope, last post today.

There were 3 plane crashes, without any bug, so maybe it is not related to plane crash.

Anyway this is THE ULTIMATE airport for passenger ferry. As long as you will use jumbos, you can handle all town production that can be made in its coverage area (I had 15k+ town, with no house out of coverage area of airpt, and it was far from this airport's capacity). I think, this airport can also be alternative for cargo delivery. It can handle 5 or 6 more aircrafts (i mean in practice, not in theory) than international airport (i.e. twice as much). This (10-12) is number of planes that are on airport or landing or taking off. You should also count 1 plane for every cca 100 tiles of route (or cca 300 tiles for supersonics), and also some planes for the other airport(s) on the route.

Nice work. (Although airports should be rewritten, because state machines are bad code to manage.)
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

ebik wrote:Can you make a plane to crash at landing? I remember, that I had appaling rating when the thing described in previous post happened.
Good point! Releasing runway on crash landing may not work! That would lock a runway open. (And runway 2 is most likely to a) have a landing, b) certain to be locked if crashed on.)

Otherwise, thanks for your testing. Ive reworked the northern hangar system, and used some multiple block setting to control movement to/from the hangar. Works most of the time: probably 99%+. I loaded it up with 22 Dingers, and a graphic conflict was happening about once every 5 years.

Aircraft will leave the hangar, and wait outside. No other aircraft will attempt to enter while an aircraft is there. Also, no aircraft should attempt to enter the taxiway heading for the hangar until the other aircraft has cleared. Im pretty sure this now works.

Until there is full path support around an airport, there will always be some conflicts. (Currently the blocks that an aircraft has reserved is assumed to be "current" block, rather than storing that aircraft's block reservations with the aircraft. Thus, although you can initially reserve the full path (using block IDs | or'd together), it can unset parts of it along the route. This then releases other aircraft when they shouldnt. (Usually when there is a mixture of destinations - some for takeoff, some for second side of airport, etc. The terminals on that side seem to behave OK.)
Firework Photography
nwa320
Engineer
Engineer

Post by nwa320 »

Hye richk67,
awesome work!! I have been waiting for a bigger airport for ages!!! Unfortunatly I cant compile :( :( so how long till you release a windows exe or even better a integrated nightly with it, I dont even care if its buggy i really would love to play it.
Thanks + keep up the good work. :lol:
GARBAGE - The One and Only
New Album (Bleed Like Me) is Awesome
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

nwa320 wrote:Hye richk67,
awesome work!! I have been waiting for a bigger airport for ages!!! Unfortunatly I cant compile :( :( so how long till you release a windows exe or even better a integrated nightly with it, I dont even care if its buggy i really would love to play it.
Thanks + keep up the good work. :lol:
Check the first post

Return to “OpenTTD Development”