[Fixed] Busses turning themselves off?!

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

madman
Engineer
Engineer

[Fixed] Busses turning themselves off?!

Post by madman »

Hi,

I've been having a wierd problem with busses - basically they stop (as if theyd been told to) and if you tell them to start again they stop soon after - unforts the only save game i have at present is with the 3 airports patch by richk but ill see if i can get a save without that patch on.

anyone else seen this bug?

Thanks
madman
Engineer
Engineer

Post by madman »

having watched the city where i saw all of this for a while on fast-forward, i noticed that the busses later re-start themselves again.

could this be something to do with either the new path finding or the new AI feature?
gigajum
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by gigajum »

The AI stops buses and trucks within a faw tiles after they visit the depot if the station they heading to is busy. If the station isn't busy anymore they continue driving. It is a new AI feature and has not really something to do with the pathfinding (since the depot is part of their orders)
madman
Engineer
Engineer

Post by madman »

I'm seeing it between stations though?
chazz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by chazz »

gigajum wrote:The AI stops buses and trucks within a faw tiles after they visit the depot if the station they heading to is busy.
/chazz
Invisble
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Invisble »

I am seeing between stations as well, and to be honest it is very annoying. Especially when you have a large number of RV's useing the same road and they all get backed up because the one bus has stopped. It can cost you a fortune in goods not being picked up/delivered.

Is there anyway at all to turn this feature off?
madman
Engineer
Engineer

Post by madman »

chazz wrote:
gigajum wrote:The AI stops buses and trucks within a faw tiles after they visit the depot if the station they heading to is busy.
/chazz
yes, however im seeing it when the bus leaves a station not when it leaves a depot.

and as invisible says - its a serious bug because you get massive roadblocks as a result

furthermore it seems that some busses are "prebooking" the station, so ive got say 2 busses half way across the town who have apparently filled the station so the bus leaving the other station stops just outside.
Celestar
Director
Director

Post by Celestar »

1) Road vehicles now don't congregate around a specific stop anymore if the station is overloaded. This caused gordian knots that we almost impossible to resolve. Currently the policy is to wait outside of the stop until a free spot is obtained. It also says so in the status bar.

2) If you post a problem without savegames it is not easy to improve the situation. So PLEASE post savegame en masse :)

Celestar
hertogjan
Director
Director

Post by hertogjan »

Personally, I think that the old truck (and bus) stations are practically unusable.
In the future, I think that new truck (and bus) stations should be introduced. In a roro-fashion, and expansible (just like you set the number of tracks on a train station, you would be able to choose the number of loading bays/passenger platforms). This also would allow the introduction of trucks with trailers, and articulated buses.* Currently this impossible since road vehicles are allowed to rotate at one spot, which would cause obvious problems with trucks with trailers. And the current truck/bus stations need this in order to work.

However, I think that the way of stopping road vehicles in this way is bad. You don't wish to have a vehicle wait for a slot on a station far away to clear. It should stop anywhere near the target station (for instance, only stop vehicles if they are 1 or 2 squares from a loading bay), or drive around until the station is accessible.

I will not post a savegame here. I think the feature works as intended. Only the intention is not good in my opinion. And there are still some other bugs in road vehicle handling, but I will not tell them since they are not that important, and I don't want someone to waste his/her time to get those issues solved (since I already did myself).

*If there are people curious to know my plans regarding this, then maybe I will open a separate topic for this.
Celestar
Director
Director

Post by Celestar »

Hi there.
I'm currently working on further improving the road vehicle handling, which will cause much much less paused vehicles, instead most vehicle will queue in front of existing stations in a balanced manner. Will hopefully be in tomorrow's nightly.

If you DO have a problem/bug, you should report it on bugs.openttd.org. Otherwise it'll be resident until some dev accidently stumbles over it.

Celestar
Invisble
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Invisble »

Instead of the ques that happen at the moment, if I remember correctly the original TTD when the stations were full the busses would not que if there was a way to drive around for a bit. I admit that it was not all that realistic but it did stop big cue of RV's happening.
ebik
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ebik »

The current behavior (stopping buses) is more anoying than 'gordian knots' for me when many vehicles jams station. Why?

I was able to resolve gordian knots, and I was able to manage number of road vehicles to be proportional to cargo production. Maybe stopping lorrys is okay, but not stopping busses!

When I connect two medium cities with buses, I want to have three buses on road each direction and one stopped in each busstop. But now, only four buses are usable for such transport. Bus does not leave the source busstop before one of the two previous buses reach and leave destinantion busstop. So the transport looks like one pair of busses going there and one back. One or two more buses will lock the route.

(Now I'm not talking about AI, but about my own buses. Using some post 0.4.5 nightly with airports patch...)
Celestar
Director
Director

Post by Celestar »

The behaviour has been altered. Vehicles will no longer stop, nor should they clog up a specific stop at station.

Celestar

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”