New Patch: Speed Signs

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

MeusH wrote:Version 4 of the signs. The cube one needs more work, IMO.

Also, I think the first two signs should be placed on regular tracks, and the last two should be placed on diagonal tracks, seen as | and - in TT world.

Please voice your suggestions, especially on shape and colours.

Edit: Added the early version of button image
Nice. I like them all.

Here is a savegame using patch 0.5, pb_ukrs.grf, pb_hovs_bus.grf, pb_vidauct.grf. It shows the capabilities quite nicely. All trains share orders, but sort themselves out based solely on their best speed.
Attachments
Lennville Transport, 20th Mar 1959.sav
(87.02 KiB) Downloaded 352 times
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Does it come with version 4 .grf?
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Richk67, any progress on this patch? I saw you very busy with the airports, but how's the progress here?
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

MeusH: Stalled. Rich is waiting for the YAPF project to warm up.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

MeusH wrote:Richk67, any progress on this patch? I saw you very busy with the airports, but how's the progress here?
Im quite happy for this to go trunk, but since YAPF is getting going, and it has a big implication on this, then it may be better to wait until YAPF is further along. YAPF could make or break this patch, so it certainly needs coordination.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Firework Photography
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

MeusH wrote:Does it come with version 4 .grf?
No-one has made a grf from the v4 image. I may be able to do it, but it isnt my speciality!
Firework Photography
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Thanks for fast and accurate replies :)
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

MeusH wrote:Does it come with version 4 .grf?
I don't know if the name change will break things, but I can't change the action 8, as much as I'd like to.
Attachments
spdlim4.grf
(899 Bytes) Downloaded 401 times
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
BoominGranny
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BoominGranny »

Great feature richk67. How difficult would it be to extend this so it uses a trains reliabilty %. IE trains with 1-40%reliability (and prone to breakdown) go on the slow track - trains with 41-80% reliability go on the medium and trains with 81-100% reliability go on the fast one? I find that most of my trains go the same speed, and that its the unreliable ones that hold everything up (like big freight trains that don't have the hp to pull all thouse goods without breaking down)
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

BoominGranny wrote:Great feature richk67. How difficult would it be to extend this so it uses a trains reliabilty %. IE trains with 1-40%reliability (and prone to breakdown) go on the slow track - trains with 41-80% reliability go on the medium and trains with 81-100% reliability go on the fast one? I find that most of my trains go the same speed, and that its the unreliable ones that hold everything up (like big freight trains that don't have the hp to pull all thouse goods without breaking down)
Sorry for the late reply. That is a great idea; you can send unreliable engines off down a line to a compulsort depot stop, while the mainline zooms past. I like it.

Maybe I should pass the whole v* vehicle structure - then I can pick and choose what signs to add. Good idea :)
Firework Photography
Xaroth
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Xaroth »

BoominGranny wrote:Great feature richk67. How difficult would it be to extend this so it uses a trains reliabilty %. IE trains with 1-40%reliability (and prone to breakdown) go on the slow track - trains with 41-80% reliability go on the medium and trains with 81-100% reliability go on the fast one? I find that most of my trains go the same speed, and that its the unreliable ones that hold everything up (like big freight trains that don't have the hp to pull all thouse goods without breaking down)
That, in turn, could also be used to make 'forced' maintenance routes.. so trains with a too low reliability have to go through a depot to get their s*** fixed..

I like the idea, will probably use it enough to compile it with that patch.
guest1029
Engineer
Engineer

Post by guest1029 »

I like this patch a lot. Usually, however, all my trains have the same engine, since I update them often. It would be nice if I could designate some trains express trains, which would use the fast lanes, while others which stop more often would use the slower lanes.
RRuffneck
Engineer
Engineer

Speed

Post by RRuffneck »

What is "their best speed"? The engine's maximum speed?

But what if there where 2 types of trains in my game: short ones (max. speed 100) and long ones (max. speed 100). If the junctions (or thight turns) are close together, the long trains would never reach their full potential. The short ones could.

Could you seperate them with 'realistic speed'?
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

i'm still thinking that logic gates signals will be more usefull
also signal programming will be usefull
MegaByte
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MegaByte »

Hey,

I think this patch doesn't work anymore with the new version of openTTD (0.4.8-RC1).
I can't patch it because there are some conflicts.
Could someone pls take a look at it, i'm very interested in the patch.

Txs
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
bobingabout
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by bobingabout »

for a start, 0.4.8-RC1 is a pile of crap
2, this patch is for a trunk version, meaning its not suposed to be applied to 0.4.8-RC1, which is already patched.

plus this 1 looks rather old.
JPG SUX!!! USE PNG!!!
There are times when JPG is useful, TTD screenshots is not one of them. Please use PNG instead.

[/url]
MegaByte
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MegaByte »

I don't really know if i'm using the 0.4.8-RC1 version.
It's just that when i use cygwin to download the source files, i can't apply the patch because there are some errors in it.

It doesn't seem that old, the topic started end may this year. That's only 3 months ago.

The errors are in my opinion small, i tried to fix it myself, but i don't know much about C+.

In fact, i think that the diference between the patch and the newest source code is just some code that has been added to the source code, meaning that the patch is just patching stuff at the wrong place.

So the patch does work, only the code is implemented at the wrong location.

Is there any hope this patch will be updated by someone?
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

I have stopped development of Speed Signs for the moment. It is quite old now (over 500 revisions out of date) which is why it doesnt patch cleanly.

Main reason for halting development is YAPF. Speed Signs does not work with YAPF, and me and KUDr (YAPF developer) have an idea to make these *way* more useful.

So once we get round to it (and this is about my no.5 priority project), we will introduce a new priority based signalling system. This will allow a train to be allocated a route colour - eg. blue - and then follow the blue signs. This would mean you can have your coal trains take one route, your general freight another, and your express passengers yet another. The choice would be up to you.

The other major flaw with speed signs is multiplayer; if it is a per-player control, then its desync-city. If its fixed by the host, then it becomes of little use fairly quickly.

The new idea will be fine for multiplayer; a "blue" train will always try to follow blue signs. No problems with player settings, etc.

Watch this space... just dont watch too impatiently ;)
Firework Photography
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

At least he said thanks... thats a step up in my book compared to the general tone here.
Firework Photography

Return to “OpenTTD Development”