New Patch: Speed Signs

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

MegaByte
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MegaByte »

Thanks Richk67 for the fast respons. It's just so annoying when someone's left in the dark or seems to be ignored.

Now i know what the situation is, and i have all the respect for you and the development team.

As a matter of fact, i did some search and ended up with Mini Integrated Nightly, which is maintained by yourself. In the "will be added soon" part, it got all clear to me: the patch isn't stopped, but just delayed to make one general signal system.

I'm very happy to see that the 3 patches i was willing to implement (also the three topics i asked the question what the situation was on those patches: Speed Signs, Past 2090 and Yellow Signal State), are all in the "will be added soon" section.

So now i'll just have to wait untill you guys come up with a new release with some nice improvements too the signalling system, which is in my opinion a part of the game that can make it easier to make near-to-realistic railtracks.

Keep up the good work!
I'll be following you closely ;)
Bryan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Bryan »

Has this been added to the latest 0.5.0 RC1?

Sorry I'm new to this place =X

still learning a lot ..
sidew
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sidew »

No. See this:
Richk67 wrote: have stopped development of Speed Signs for the moment. It is quite old now (over 500 revisions out of date) which is why it doesnt patch cleanly.

Main reason for halting development is YAPF. Speed Signs does not work with YAPF, and me and KUDr (YAPF developer) have an idea to make these *way* more useful.
Sidewinder

Italian Town names patch for OTTD (R5266) now in trunk since 0.4.8
For typo, errors or bug on OTTD italian translation, please PM me.
unofficial italian TTD/OpenTTD forum: http://wolf01.game-host.org/forum/index.php
Bryan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Bryan »

Thank you sir. :)
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Bryan wrote:Thank you sir. :)
And also note it was 500 revisions out of date in July! Its now more like 2500-3000 revisions out of date!
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Just a quick heads up that this patch has now evolved into a new one: Route Markers.

Using the same sign placing code (now updated to current trunk r8200+), you place coloured markers on the track like signals. (Yes, you can have a signal and a marker in the same tile). In the train properties, you will be able to select the route marker colour for that train. The pathfinder will then bias the train's route to follow the markers that match the train's route colour.

What this will let you do is the fulfilment of our signalling desires: separate freight and passenger properly. With it, you can build either a separate parallel mainline that the freight will always choose, or build short bypasses where the slow train is always the one that pulls off the mainline. Currently, no signalling can say bypass for this one, but not for that one.

Or maybe you want to have your local passenger service stay off the express mainline. Currently the only way is to use waypoints... this patch puts the route selection as a property of the train itself.

The first part is done - I can place the coloured marker on the route (so far only 3 colours, but the intention is to have the full 15 standard colours).

I now need to code the setting of the train property, and the pathfinder tests. I have code sections marked in the right place within the NPF and NTP pathfinders, but they currently do nothing. I will also get it working with YAPF (heads up KUDr - I may need you ;) )

ETA for a first release of this by this weekend (20/21 Jan).
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Firework Photography
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

ooooh finally, lomo-style waypoints :D
vbraun
Engineer
Engineer

Post by vbraun »

Any news on the update? I've been looking forward to something for a while. :)
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Its looking good, but Ive had to reverse the concept for performance reasons.

All pathfinders work best with a "if tile has XYZ, add a penalty". They all do not like it if you try to give a positive bias - ie. "if tile has ABC, deduct a bonus". However, if you have a "cheaper than straight line" rail, then the pathfinders can go beserk trying desperately to find a better route. The world then slooooooooooooooows doooooooooown!

So I have made the patch more a "route avoidance" patch.

If you place a marker on a route, then the train will be *less* likely to choose that route. Sort of "diversion signs", or maybe "no-entry" signs. (However no-entry implies its absolute - it isnt... if the unmarked route is significantly worse, then it may use the marked route anyway.)
Firework Photography
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

I'd like this patch, but it's currently not compatible with lastest trunk.
Could it be possible to update it to the lastest trunk revision ?

(let say, by exemple in the command.h there are several CMD_* constants redefinitions with different meaings)
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

New routemarker patch now available... just writing posts.
Firework Photography
davidpk212
Engineer
Engineer

Post by davidpk212 »

Going back to graphics, in real life, normal signals tend to be used, mounted higher or lower depending on the speed limit. However, this is difficult to tell except of junctions... I'll look into this.
buh_vi
Engineer
Engineer

Post by buh_vi »

i try install it and signals don´t work, How do i install it?
joeyjo0
Engineer
Engineer

Post by joeyjo0 »

Sorry for late reply, I use TurtoiseSVM to patch, but it says command.h has no valid URL. Can someone help me?
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

The Speed Signs patch in this thread is VERY old. It was written before the code was C++-ified into .hpp and .cpp files. So command.h is now found in command.hpp.

I very much doubt the patch works any more, and I dont have the inclination at present to rewrite it.

There is a new patch available in another thread, for Speed Limits, which shares some of the ideas. Try there for something more up to date.
Firework Photography

Return to “OpenTTD Development”