How much money?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Gregs
Engineer
Engineer

How much money?

Post by Gregs »

I wondered how much money it is possible to make every year. What is everyone annual profit
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

My highest profit was something between 70 and 80 million, it was on a 512x512 map which wasn't fully covered. I think I could have made about 150 million every year on it :).
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
gkirilov
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by gkirilov »

I think 1'000'000'000 is a good target. On a big map (512x512 and up) should not be a problem.
(Inflation OFF).
OTTDCoop NewGRF Pack|Different sets of GRFs for TTDPatch (some of them work in OTTD) - 1|- 2|GRF sets for OTTD|OTTD nightly
I hooked up my accelerator to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you. Spoilers and bodykits are how much of the wall you take with you. Rollcages and windownets are how much of a mess you leave on the wall.
Alinator
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Alinator »

Hey
i'm just at 2051 and make 375M € with inflation on. I dont know how much it would be without inflation but i agree with gkirilov that 1G is possible without inflation.
You only have to play and to build long enough... about 500 years^^

or you simply change the currency ;-)
Attachments
Cheater!
Cheater!
Zwischenablage02.jpg (84.53 KiB) Viewed 6869 times
Aka Thargor / Doke

"Give each day the chance, to be the most beautiful in your life." (Mark Twain).

"Phantasie ist wichtiger als Wissen, denn Wissen ist begrenzt." (A. Einstein)
proudmoore
Director
Director

Post by proudmoore »

How about £169,000,000,000,000 per year - or there abouts. i do have to admit that there is a considerable time of inflation gone into that tho - i have no way of knowing, but i estimate more than two thousand years or so of game time. You're welcome to try to work out how long if you can be bothered - i reckon it should be possible if you look at the cost of something - a peice of track or something - and inflation. A peice of track costs £4,848,288 in the game year, while in th beginning, it costs £90. If you work it out - please tell me - i've tryed, but have been unable to.
Attachments
Ebay.com, 17th Nov 2020.png
Lotsa money... but not enough money...
(247.56 KiB) Downloaded 604 times
For Knowledge, Civilisation, and Chocolate Waffles!
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

200 year without inflation on a 1024 x 1024 partially filled. :)

Not that good tough, I make 1 million a second but I can make more.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

proudmoore wrote:How about £169,000,000,000,000 per year - or there abouts.
Hmm, £42 quadrillion in the bank... wow. Probably the largest amount of "genuine" money I've seen in a(n Open)TTD game.
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

i noticed that if you gain too much or the valute has too much numbers, the ciphers overlap and become illegible
is possible to enlarge the finance window?
i think that is not a problem the size, and if someone doesn't want a bigger window there is the resize window button that show only the total balance and the loan
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Or better yet, this newfangled thing called "scientific notation".
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
gkirilov
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by gkirilov »

4E6 = 4 000 0000 is not a good option.
I would prefer 4M or 4Mil. (K = 1000, M = Million and so on).
OTTDCoop NewGRF Pack|Different sets of GRFs for TTDPatch (some of them work in OTTD) - 1|- 2|GRF sets for OTTD|OTTD nightly
I hooked up my accelerator to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you. Spoilers and bodykits are how much of the wall you take with you. Rollcages and windownets are how much of a mess you leave on the wall.
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

gkirilov wrote:4E6 = 4 000 0000 is not a good option.
I would prefer 4M or 4Mil. (K = 1000, M = Million and so on).
I think normal scientific notation is better then computer scientific notation, so 4*10^6 in stread of 4E6.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

That would be a particularly horrible option, in fact.

What should probably should happen is to have all numbers in the finances window shift down three, six, nine, &c. (as necessary) orders of magnitude, and then put a line somewhere reporting "All values in thousands/millions/billions/&c. of $CURRENCY".
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
jez
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jez »

Or... make it more difficult to make such ludicrous amounts of money? Like by saying you have to transport goods to the nearest accepting industry, or something? :-)

*ducks*
=== Jez ===
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

jez wrote:Or... make it more difficult to make such ludicrous amounts of money? Like by saying you have to transport goods to the nearest accepting industry, or something? :-)

*ducks*
Ah yes, the "turn off inflation" option. Works for me. (:
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
hertogjan
Director
Director

Post by hertogjan »

DaleStan wrote:
That would be a particularly horrible option, in fact.

What should probably should happen is to have all numbers in the finances window shift down three, six, nine, &c. (as necessary) orders of magnitude, and then put a line somewhere reporting "All values in thousands/millions/billions/&c. of $CURRENCY".
Another option is to revaluate money, which has more ore less the same effect. That is often done in countries where inflation is high. When the denominations on the bills grow too large, the currency is revaluated by a factor of 100, 1000, 1 million or similar. For instance, I remember that last year on my trip to Turkey, they had revaluated the money by a factor 1 000 000, i.e. 1 million "old" lira were equivalent to 1 "new" lira.
This can also be done in OpenTTD. As soon as the figures go up too high, then divide everything by 1000. I think that you should be able to see somewhere how the current currency is worth in terms of the initial currency. It would also be nice if you could see the inflation factor somewhere.
Sacro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sacro »

Why not just use k, M, G, T, F? Simple enough to grasp i reckon.
We Am De Best

Host of ThroughTheTube site
jez
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jez »

hertogjan wrote:more ore less
Been playing much too much TTD lately ;-)
=== Jez ===
lotrgamemast
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lotrgamemast »

jez wrote:
hertogjan wrote:more ore less
Been playing much too much TTD lately ;-)
LOL. Nice one.

Personaly ive never made over 10M a year but i meanly do multiplayer now. Silly to play against a dumb pc when you dont have to.
lotrgamemast - Lord of the land

My Blog
My Web Design Site
mike[F]
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mike[F] »

proudmoore wrote:You're welcome to try to work out how long if you can be bothered - i reckon it should be possible if you look at the cost of something - a peice of track or something - and inflation. A peice of track costs £4,848,288 in the game year, while in th beginning, it costs £90. If you work it out - please tell me - i've tryed, but have been unable to.

Code: Select all

Let n = number of years of play
and take x = rate of inflation - either 1.02, 1.03, or 1.04 (2%, 3% or 4%)

4,848,288 = 90 * x^n

-----------  = x^n

/ 4,848,288 \
log | --------- | = n log x
    \    90     /

/ 4,848,288 \    /
n = log | --------- |   /  log x
        \    90     /  /

{ 550.1  x = 1.02
= { 368.6  x = 1.03
  { 277.8  x = 1.04
So either 550 years, 369 years, or 278 years, depending on the rate of inflation you're playing with. This is assuming that OTTD inflation works on the principle of compound interest once per year...
-mike[F]
Caught in the rush of the crowd, lost in a wall of sound...
proudmoore
Director
Director

Post by proudmoore »

Beware if you're gonna try to get it labeled inmillions, billions trillions etc - do you take billion as 10^9 or 10^12 - depending on whether you ascribe to the british or american school of numbering. Using the scientific prefixes (or suffixes would be better - K, M, G, T etc

EDIT: you sure about your figures? - that game has been running fairly solidly - frequently on doublespeed for days on end - since a few weeks after i found openttd - about release 0.3 or something. I can't prove it - since vehicle age peaks at 179 years - but i'm sure it's been running for longer than that.
Last edited by proudmoore on 01 May 2006 09:45, edited 1 time in total.
For Knowledge, Civilisation, and Chocolate Waffles!

Return to “General OpenTTD”