Six New Airports - Released

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Do you want these airports?

All 3 + other directions
83%
Type 3b: no, Type 4b: yes, Helistation: yes
7%
Type 3b: yes, Type 4b: no, Helistation: yes
5%
Type 3b: no, Type 4b: no, Helistation: yes
6%

Total votes: 127

richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Six New Airports - Released

Post by richk67 »

6new_airports.patch updated 16/04/06

Here are three new airport designs incorporated in addition to the three new airports earlier.

All 6 new airports are:
Commuter 4x5 (small)
Intercontinental (xx large)
Helidepot (1 pad heliport with hangar)
District (north-south)
District (west-east)
Helistation (3 pad heliport with hangar)

The district airport is available in two flavours - one facing North/South, the other West/East. This is the Type 3b airport in the discussion below.

I decided to go with this design, since it had a very simple flow through the airport - and segregated aircraft and helicopters to ensure better throughput. The other types discussed would have had many more complications.

The helistation is the three helipads and hangar from the end of the District W-E airport.

For this new patch, you need the airports.grf file placing in the data directory alongside your sample.cat etc. NB. It is not a newgrf file, and does not need adding to the [newgrf] section of the config.
Attachments
District w-e airport and helistation
District w-e airport and helistation
Gartfingbridge Transport, 25th Jan 2003.png (64.12 KiB) Viewed 27864 times
airports.grf
Airports.grf. Put this in the data directory.
(8.92 KiB) Downloaded 2194 times
6new_airports_v2_r4655.patch
6 New Airports. Now with larger 9x11 Intercontinental, and updated to r4655.
(83.7 KiB) Downloaded 2174 times
Last edited by richk67 on 02 May 2006 01:59, edited 5 times in total.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

I like all designs very much. I'm happy to see new airports from you :) However, I think some things may be changed and I'll post my suggestions.

In the helistation and airport 3b, one helipad doesn't have acces to the hangar. Maybye a swap with the office building tile?

Where would helicopters land on 4b? Directly on the terminal (which one?) or on some free tile? There is still space between the runways, but in real life there are no terminals nor landing pads in between runways...

I think 3b is easy to jam, because some tiles share both routes for aircraft taxing to terminals, and aircraft going to take off.
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

Type 3b is better than 4b for performance. Assuming just a single aircraft, that aircraft has to taxi twice the distance on the ground when landed on the 4b. For a supersonic, this taxi time could easily exceed the flight time.

The 4b has no advantages in terms of use of land space.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

MeusH wrote:I like all designs very much. I'm happy to see new airports from you :) However, I think some things may be changed and I'll post my suggestions.

In the helistation and airport 3b, one helipad doesn't have acces to the hangar. Maybye a swap with the office building tile?
The helicopter can move on the diagonal, so its accessible from the taxiway.
Where would helicopters land on 4b? Directly on the terminal (which one?) or on some free tile? There is still space between the runways, but in real life there are no terminals nor landing pads in between runways...
Helis would land outside the hangar, and either go to a terminal, or into the hangar to wait. Takeoff would be directly from each terminal.
I think 3b is easy to jam, because some tiles share both routes for aircraft taxing to terminals, and aircraft going to take off.
Actually, its the other way around. 3b is hard to jam, because only 1 aircraft can own the terminal group taxiway. If it is going from terminal to hangar, it also owns the area outside the hangar. This stops landed aircraft from interfering until the route has cleared. This whole section is already coded, and working cleanly. Ive not coded the circulation or landing sequence, but all terminal and hangars ops are sorted.

However, my opinion is that Type 3 is less efficient, as an aircraft has to wait to taxi to the terminals if an aircraft is leaving. On Type 4b, a leaving aircraft has no conflict with arriving aircraft (but IMO the airport is less pretty ;) ) However, as Brianetta points out, the taxi distances are greater. It probably is a preference thing, and so justtifies existence of both airports.

I could create a shortened 4b, with only 3 terminals in a 3x9 size. This would be fast on taxi time, but no great capacity increase on the City airport. I'll mockup a piccy.
Attachments
Type 4c compact
Type 4c compact
Hudworth Transport, 10th Jan 2003.png (46.39 KiB) Viewed 28235 times
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Firework Photography
comrade-max
Engineer
Engineer

Post by comrade-max »

personally wot i want to see is an industrial airport that is only slightly bigger than a small airport (2 runways 3 spaces) an is efficent
hertogjan
Director
Director

Post by hertogjan »

I guess that the aircraft land with their nose towards the terminals. In reality, this would be forbidden, since an aircraft that overshoots the runway will lead to major disaster on this airport (killing all people on board and inside the airport buildings).
Landing the other way will cause major delays since aircraft will have to taxi all the way back across the runway, thereby preventing any other aircraft to use that runway.

Conclusion: This airport type is not realistic.
Grigory1
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Grigory1 »

Whether probably to move a tower to other place for example:
Attachments
hudworth_transport_8th_jan_2003_119.png
hudworth_transport_8th_jan_2003_119.png (62.6 KiB) Viewed 28198 times
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

comrade-max wrote:personally wot i want to see is an industrial airport that is only slightly bigger than a small airport (2 runways 3 spaces) an is efficent
Try the commuter airport. 4x5. 1 runway, 3 spaces, 2 helipads, very efficient (better than City). (2 runways in that space isnt at all easy.)
Last edited by richk67 on 31 Mar 2006 18:27, edited 1 time in total.
Firework Photography
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

hertogjan wrote:I guess that the aircraft land with their nose towards the terminals. In reality, this would be forbidden, since an aircraft that overshoots the runway will lead to major disaster on this airport (killing all people on board and inside the airport buildings).
Landing the other way will cause major delays since aircraft will have to taxi all the way back across the runway, thereby preventing any other aircraft to use that runway.

Conclusion: This airport type is not realistic.
Welcome to the GAME! Last time I checked, aircraft landing at high airfields fly through the buildings. Rejecting this design for that reason, is forgetting that OTTD is a game, not a simulation. (ie. if the design works for gameplay, then its a good thing.)

In OTTD all aircraft crashes are on the landing approach at the other end of the runway.... no overshoots here ;)
Last edited by richk67 on 31 Mar 2006 18:31, edited 1 time in total.
Firework Photography
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Created a grf for the other runway directions.... so runways in all orientations are now possible :) :)
Attachments
New runway directions.
New runway directions.
Hudworth Transport, 25th Jan 2003.png (56.2 KiB) Viewed 28168 times
airports.grf
Gives other runway directions, all 4 orientations for hangars. Also loses dark corner to tarmac.
(8.32 KiB) Downloaded 869 times
Firework Photography
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Grigory1 wrote:Whether probably to move a tower to other place for example:
Yeah, I could live with the first position. The second will merge with the hangar, and the 3rd is the hangar entrance block. (Until I drew the new graphics, there wasnt a hangar in the East facing direction. The hangar exit there should face the terminals.)
Firework Photography
Grigory1
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Grigory1 »

OK! :)
comrade-max
Engineer
Engineer

Post by comrade-max »

richk67 wrote:
comrade-max wrote:personally wot i want to see is an industrial airport that is only slightly bigger than a small airport (2 runways 3 spaces) an is efficent
Try the commuter airport. 4x5. 1 runway, 3 spaces, 2 helipads, very efficient (better than City). (2 runways in that space isnt at all easy.)
yeah i cant seem to be able to patch atall. i keep getting url errors
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Bump - new completed patch released.
Attachments
District N/S airport, and GUI
District N/S airport, and GUI
Gartfingbridge Transport, 25th Jan 2003 #2.png (63.92 KiB) Viewed 27823 times
Firework Photography
comrade-max
Engineer
Engineer

Post by comrade-max »

what about being able to join airports together like stations?
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

comrade-max wrote:what about being able to join airports together like stations?
"I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I gave some moments ago."
Firework Photography
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

I'd never have guessed that the answer would be the same this time as the last last fifteen times someone asked that question.
:roll:
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

OK, so what about joining them together like you can bus stations? (:
Andrew21
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Andrew21 »

Umm when it says it's against a nightly, what does that mean? That and is it easy to make an .exe? I've never ever done anything with compiling before in my life. Dowloaded DevC++ but I have no idea what I'm doing. I love all these new airports (and can't wait to try the new ones) but AFAIK, there aren't any executables since the original v1 or v2 of the initial 3 new airports patch.
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

The nightlies are compiled for you every night. See http://nightly.openttd.org/

Return to “OpenTTD Development”